Offtopic: Well, I'll be damned, there really is common since in our society, I thought it was a dying commodity.

m00n

Judge Nixes Lawsuit Against McDonald's

NEW YORK (AP) -- For a second time this year, a federal judge threw out a class-action lawsuit Thursday that blamed McDonald's for making people fat.

U.S. District Judge Robert Sweet said the plaintiffs failed to show that the fast-food chain misled consumers into believing its food was nutritious and part of a healthy diet.

Sweet tossed out an earlier version of the lawsuit in January that claimed McDonald's food causes health problems in children.

On Thursday he rejected a request that the plaintiffs be permitted to file a new version, which claimed that McDonald's violated New York's consumer protection laws and engaged in deceptive advertising.

The Oak Brook, Ill.-based company called the ruling a "total victory" and said its menu options can fit into a healthy, well-balanced diet.

A message left for the plaintiffs' lawyer was not immediately returned.

In a statement, the National Restaurant Association said Sweet's decision demonstrated that "reason and common sense have prevailed."

The judge said the lawsuit failed to back allegations that any injuries resulted from McDonald's representations about its french fries or hash browns.

In his earlier ruling, Sweet said consumers cannot blame McDonald's if they choose to eat there.

"If a person knows or should know that eating copious orders of supersized McDonald's products is unhealthy and may result in weight gain ... it is not the place of the law to protect them from their own excesses," Sweet wrote at the time.

Shares of McDonald's rose 70 cents to close at $23.39 on the New York Stock Exchange.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

... Sweet said the plaintiffs failed to show that the fast-food chain misled consumers into believing its food was nutritious and part of a healthy diet.

...(McDonalds) said its menu options can fit into a healthy, well-balanced diet.

----------------

Am I the only one who sees a flaw in this logic?

Sorry, but McD's does engage in deceptive advertising. The only thing "healthy" on McD's menu is a dry salad - no dressing. Everything else is pure sh1te.

----------------

On 9/4/2003 5:57:08 PM bruinsrme wrote:

I am going to sue Klipsch because I do not want to go to work any more all I want to do is listen to music and watch movies.

----------------

Hey I'm with you!....I'ts class action suit time!...And what about the harmful stress caused by worries about the inadequacies of the other system components?...I lay awake at night wondering...are my Klipsch Happy in their current environment?...Are they content? Are they reaching the ultimate reaches of their excellence or Do they feel unfufilled by current power limitations? Are they yearning for more expression? More stamina? Is their imaging myopic? Do they need lenses, crystals or aromatherapy? Are they performing at their full potential? Am I hindering them by not offering them the highest technology at the highest price? My Klipsch and I have a serious empathetic connection that is causing me such serious stress that I might just have to knock over my nearest Best Buy/Target/Sears and set those seriously degraded Klipsches Free! ...Oh Crap, Nevermind...one of these will suffice

sundae-5.jpg

----------------

On 9/4/2003 6:47:28 PM Griffinator wrote:

Am I the only one who sees a flaw in this logic?

Sorry, but McD's does engage in deceptive advertising. The only thing "healthy" on McD's menu is a dry salad - no dressing. Everything else is pure sh1te.

----------------

Griff 6.gif? Oh please tell me you're not serious... Who in their right mind walks into a Micky D's orders a Big'n Tasty meal and says, this is good for me. CMon now. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to squeeze a fry, see all that greese oozing out to know it's not healthy.

m00n,you got it right.The only problem is someday they will likely find a crackpot judge to rule in their favor.Anyone that eats at McD's and think its health food should get a lawsuit against their grade school,imho.

mOOn,

You know this bullcrap class-action lawsuit makes me sick,its not I love McDonalds or any fast food dumpster but those who eat the burgers like swines and then sue the fast food chains deserve to hang by the neck.

Like the ho who sued a fast food chain for the hot liquid she threw on her lap just to sue the hell out of the restaurant.

The main question here people is WHO FORCED the swines to eat one whole cow and drink a gallon of soft drinks? WHO?

The answer is NOBODY,the swines act like pigs and eat and eat and eat...LIKE PIGS.

When I see fat swines I rejoyce because I know these freaks dont have any self respect and let their bodies(read carcasses)wind downhill.Then what these SWINES do? They eat and eat and eat(yeah eat little pigs)and then the swines sue and sue and sue.

I say AMERICA has a CANCER and this cancer are all the HO'es who sue and sue and sue anyone for anything just to get some money,money they would never earn by working(F&^% losers,these creeps should die a slow death on the electric chair,AC electric chair).

And the lawyers who push people to sue for nothing should be hanging from Taliban cranes...by the neck.

IF ANYONE HERE DOES NOT APPROVE MY VIEW YOU BETTER SPEAK UP(because you are like these parasitic creeps)

Let me repeat again

Anyone who sues a fast food chain because they got fat is a PARASITE and lacks the grey matter to make good money with his/her hard work/ideas.Those who live off lawsuits are lazy and manipulating snitches who will be remembered as legal crooks and swines.

And a few final words

The system is corrupted this is why some PARASITES win

Well at least if GOD exists GOD will sort these humanoids and send them where they belong...to hell

I will not alter my post,as all I said is the sad truth.

Way to go EAR...it's like the damn smokers who sue the big tobacco companies because they got lung cancer caused by smoking most of their lives.

Duh...imagine that!

These ninkompoops know that smoking can lead to lung cancer and other health hazards, but they insist that they started smoking due to advertisements.

What a bunch of bunk! I smoked for years and finally quit cold turkey, and I've been smoke-free now for almost 18 years. These weak-minded idiots are just looking for a fast way to make a buck at the expense of the big, bad tabacco companies. No one held a gun to their thick skulls and forced them to start smoking in the first place...they chose to smoke, regardless of the dangers, and they know the risks that cigarettes cause (unless they lived under a rock all their pathetic lives).

----------------

On 9/4/2003 10:20:48 PM TheEAR wrote:

mOOn,

You know this bullcrap class-action lawsuit makes me sick,its not I love McDonalds or any fast food dumpster but those who eat the burgers like swines and then sue the fast food chains deserve to hang by the neck.

Like the ho who sued a fast food chain for the hot liquid she threw on her lap just to sue the hell out of the restaurant.

The main question here people is WHO FORCED the swines to eat one whole cow and drink a gallon of soft drinks? WHO?

The answer is NOBODY,the swines act like pigs and eat and eat and eat...LIKE PIGS.

When I see fat swines I rejoyce because I know these freaks dont have any self respect and let their bodies(read carcasses)wind downhill.Then what these SWINES do? They eat and eat and eat(yeah eat little pigs)and then the swines sue and sue and sue.

I say AMERICA has a CANCER and this cancer are all the HO'es who sue and sue and sue anyone for anything just to get some money,money they would never earn by working(F&^% losers,these creeps should die a slow death on the electric chair,AC electric chair).

And the lawyers who push people to sue for nothing should be hanging from Taliban cranes...by the neck.

IF ANYONE HERE DOES NOT APPROVE MY VIEW YOU BETTER SPEAK UP(because you are like these parasitic creeps)

Let me repeat again

Anyone who sues a fast food chain because they got fat is a PARASITE and lacks the grey matter to make good money with his/her hard work/ideas.Those who live off lawsuits are lazy and manipulating snitches who will be remembered as legal crooks and swines.

And a few final words

The system is corrupted this is why some PARASITES win

Well at least if GOD exists GOD will sort these humanoids and send them where they belong...to hell

I will not alter my post,as all I said is the sad truth.

----------------

I second that emotion.......

Ear----You know nothing of the MacDonalds coffee spilling case, perhaps you should read up on the facts before running your jibs. You might find the facts interesting, you'll certainly find them enlightening, as ignorant as you are on the subject.

Fact is that trial lawyers who work on contingency fees are the best protection the average person has against greedy, immoral corporations. If it wasn't for such lawyers we'd still have exploding Pintos, unguarded machinery and far more workplace deaths than we now have.

People like to bumrap lawyers, till they need one that is. Then they look for the hungriest shark in the sea. Phoney bastards.

Let's hear the facts. What, what, did the Micky D's server pour the coffee on the poor old lady? I doubt it. What we need is for the good lawyers to go after the bad lawyers and all good citizens to accept jury duty. Maybe then common sense would prevail. Protecting the little guy is good thing. Protecting some lazy, sue happy stooge is not.

----------------

On 9/4/2003 8:36:56 PM m00n wrote:

Griff
6.gif
? Oh please tell me you're not serious... Who in their right mind walks into a Micky D's orders a Big'n Tasty meal and says, this is good for me. CMon now. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to squeeze a fry, see all that greese oozing out to know it's not healthy.

----------------

Nobody. But there have been plenty of people who go into McD's and buy a Grilled Chicken sandwich or a "McLean" or any number of other menu items that McD's presents as being healthy options when, in fact, they are not. You ever look at the nutrition info on any of their food? Garbage. Yet, McD's insists that their food "can be part of a healthy, well-balanced diet"

Sure, maybe if you eat their once a month and then water-fast for a week afterwards to purge that **** from your system...

Remember, this lawsuit is not about some fat ****er who wants to set themself up for life on McD's tab - it's a frickin' class-action lawsuit on behalf of a lot of people who have fallen victim to McD's aggressive, deceptive advertising.

Every one of you who are cheering the court right now needs to take a step back and look at those two statements again.

Judge:

...the plaintiffs failed to show that the fast-food chain misled consumers into believing its food was nutritious and part of a healthy diet.

McDonalds' post-trial press release:

...(our) menu options can fit into a healthy, well-balanced diet.

How hard is it to understand that McD's, with their press release, showed exactly what the plaintiffs were trying to demonstrate in court - that they claim that their food is part of a healthy diet?

I'd love to see the trial transcript.

Hell, I'd love to take the exerpts from the trial transcript where McD's expressly denied the nutritive value of their food and plaster them across a national TV commercial blitz - on Saturday morning during the kids' cartoons.