Tribute to Warren Zevon - Another Great One Passes

garymd

It was inevitable and we all knew it was coming but it's a very sad day indeed. One of my (and my wife's) favorite artists. We saw him quite a few times and recently bought his latest cd which he recorded after learning of his cancer. There was a great VH1 special recently which showed all the great artists coming out to help with his last effort.

He will be sorely missed by all his fans and friends.

Moon,

You'll know him by "Werewolves of London" although he had many great songs which weren't all that popular. One of my favorite albums ever is "Excitable Boy" which includes the above song. You should check it out. Great singer/songwriter. Some of the notables who helped him on his last album which came to the stores last Tuesday:

Bruce Springsteen

Don Henley

Joe Walsh

The other guy from the Eagles with long hair

Billy Bob Thorton

and more I can't recall right now.

Hello:

He made a contribution to the music world also through music written by him but performed successfully by others.

He was a silent giant in writing and not the flash with which a number of artists become known.

The other guy from the Eagles with the long hair is the Bass player. Timothy B. Schmit.

The musical Heaven gains another as we mortals lose.

May he rest in peace and dignity, he also was too young to pass.

Win dodger

----------------

On 9/8/2003 2:12:22 PM garymd wrote:

The other guy from the Eagles with long hair

----------------

Gary, The long-haired guy is Timothy B. Schmit. Ry Cooder also played on the album. I was a big WZ fan too. I have always thought that one of the greatest misconceptions that has ever befallen a recording artist was the perception that WZ was a writer of "cute novelty tunes" like Ray Steves and Jim Stafford. "Werewolves of London" was both a blessing and a curse. It was the giant hit that all artists dream of, but, for a lot of people, it pidgeon-holed him into that novelty tune genre. RIP

----------------

On 9/8/2003 2:34:58 PM Geo1 wrote:

Gary, The long-haired guy is Timothy B. Schmit. Ry Cooder also played on the album. I was a big WZ fan too. I have always thought that one of the greatest misconceptions that has ever befallen a recording artist was the perception that WZ was a writer of "cute novelty tunes" like Ray Steves and Jim Stafford. "Werewolves of London" was both a blessing and a curse. It was the giant hit that all artists dream of, but, for a lot of people, it pidgeon-holed him into that novelty tune genre. RIP

----------------

Very true Geo. Ry Cooder was the other major player I couldn't think of. I think "Werewolves of London" sort of did him in which is too bad. He wrote and performed a lot of really wonderful songs and was a lot of fun to see live.

Great minds think alike Geo. I'll bet Fini was a WZ fan also. This morning my wife and I listened to the new album while we were getting dressed. Very sad lyrics. Almost brings you to tears on some of the songs because of the circumstances. After watching the VH1 special, hearing that album really chokes you up.

From what I saw on the VH1 show, it looks like Jorge Calderon deserves a lot of credit for getting the last record made. There was that one section of the recording sessions when WZ kept flubbing the timing on one song, I forget which one, and Jorge was gently, but firmly, pushing him through the pain and fatigue to finish the song. It's a real blessing to have someone who will push us through the pain and fatigue when necessary.

----------------

On 9/8/2003 3:47:35 PM Geo1 wrote:

From what I saw on the VH1 show, it looks like Jorge Calderon deserves a lot of credit for getting the last record made. There was that one section of the recording sessions when WZ kept flubbing the timing on one song, I forget which one, and Jorge was gently, but firmly, pushing him through the pain and fatigue to finish the song. It's a real blessing to have someone who will push us through the pain and fatigue when necessary.

----------------

Was it "Disorder In The House?" He had a difficult time getting that one out I think. I remember he did one from the sofa and wanted a re-take but Jorge insisted it was fine as-is. He was really patient throughout the whole recording of the album. It probably wouldn't have happened without him.

One of the neat things about music is that it can take you back instantly to where you were at one place and one time. I connected with the Werewolves of London at a house party in North York in the late '70's.

I think it was about the same time Meatloaf's "Bat Out of Hell" and the Police was coming out. And wasn't Waddy Wachtel doing some lead guitar on Warren Zevon's early stuff?

Waddy also did lead for some of Linda Ronstadt's stuff (Poor Poor Pitiful Me- another Warren Zevon tune, I think) - really nice crunchy riffs without being overbearing.

There was some great music going around then. Anyway, a wee dram to Warren Zevon. Slainte Mhath. Hamish

What a sad day. I understand from the sad lyrics on this final album that he didn't want his family to forget him...I know we certainly won't! It had to be tough making this recording knowing that your life will come to an abrupt and sudden end very soon...damn lung cancer. I think I heard that once he knew it was terminal, he continued to smoke anyway.

----------------

On 9/8/2003 8:53:50 PM jt1stcav wrote:

What a sad day. I understand from the sad lyrics on this final album that he didn't want his family to forget him...I know we certainly won't! It had to be tough making this recording knowing that your life will come to an abrupt and sudden end very soon...damn lung cancer. I think I heard that once he knew it was terminal, he continued to smoke anyway.

----------------

He smoked until the day he died. VH1 is repeating the WZ special on Wednesday night. Anyone who didn't see it the first time should tune in.

Actually, he had quit smoking some 8 years before he was diagnosed. After he was diagnosed, he started smoking again. At the time the disease hit, he had been on a health kick for several years and ran and worked out regularly. In fact, when he first started noticing the shortness of breath, he thought he was just pushing the workouts too hard. Mesothelioma is linked more with asbestos exposure than smoking. That's not to say that smoking doesn't increase the risk, but it's hard to say exactly what might have triggered the cancer. Funny thing is that Waddy Wachtel is conspicuously absent from the final album. Anyone know if there's a reason for that?

Dave Letterman just gave a nice tribute. Warren appeared on his show about 15 times and filled in for PS quite a few times. A little later in the show they're going to play a tape of his last appearance from Oct 02. Tune in now on the east coast. PS is playing all WZ during the show tonight also.

After reading your post Gary I raced back down stairs to catch the last half of the Letterman Show. Also caught the last half of the VH1 show. Saw the Springsteen and Eagles part. Very Cool. I got the news earlier tonight at work about Warren`s passing. I was lucky enough to see his solo tour in March of 2000. Most everyone I know back home has at least one of his albums. They`ll be spinning this week I`m sure. Life`ll Kill Ya. God Bless you Warren Zevon. See you later.

----------------

On 9/9/2003 12:53:15 AM boomac wrote:

Gary,

Was it WZ's Werewolf in London one of the tunes in the movie The Color of Money? We have the movie soundtrack somewhere.

----------------

Not sure Scott but that sounds familiar. I just saw that movie a few weeks ago but don't remember hearing it. I missed the beginning though.