5ch stereo

chambers1517

I have 2 Klipschorns and 3 Lascalas in my theater room. I had a yamaha pro logic reciever. I finished my theater room and bought a cheap sony dolby digital reciever just to get by until I could afford somenthing better. I hate the sony and can't stand it any more. It's rated at 100x6( yeah right}. It weighs about 1/3 as much as the yamaha. I have never liked music through any of the surround modes (pro logic ll, neo6 etc.), They seem to waste the rears. I would always connect my lascalas to the B terminals. I am wondering if anyone makes a reciever that does the 5ch stereo anymore. I know Denon use to make some but I haven't seen this option listed on any of the new ones. I do not have easy acess to the rear of the components now so I can't use the B terminals. I would like a true 80 watts or more per ch also. Anyone advice would be greately appreciated.

My Denon 2802 does the 5 and 6 channel stereo. I'm sure that all the new ones do too, it would be rediculous to get rid of it. That is how I listen to all my music. I gives better bass and powerful sound from all 5 speakers. After listening to 5 channel stereo I can't ever go back to PLII.

----------------

On 9/9/2003 6:28:44 PM marksdad wrote:

they support it yes, but have you ever noticed how the music sounds better in 2 channel as opposed to 5 ch st.? when you matrix it just does not sound right
12.gif

----------------

5(7) channel and Neo6 DTS (in particular) sound the best when all speakers are IDENTICAL. It really makes quite a difference.

Chamber

NICE SPEAKER SETUP

With a Big Heritage HT like you have, I would not use a receiver, go with separates to get the best sound.

I have been very happy with my Lexicon for a multi channel processor, and McIntosh amps sound great with Heritage.

I must add that the Lexicon does not do as good of a job in 2CH mode as the McIntosh preamp I have. The McIntosh shoulds much more detailed overall.

JM

I subscribe to HTT mag and they lately reviewed a Denon reciever. It was rated at 90wpc which it did in 2ch but driving 5 channels could only manage about 35. HTT also tested a HK which was rated 50wpc but did almost 90.Also NAD claims they deliver rated power RMS while driving all speakers. Which of these are the best choice? I am concerned about the power supplies in the Denons. I would like a true 100wpc so Is the NAD or HK a better choice?

That's nonsense, the link that kenratboy posted showed my Denon AVR-4800 that is rated at 125W X 5 was putting out 148W X 5. It may have been one of their lesser receiver models but is not typical of Denon. It is a moot point with me anyway I am running outboard amplifiers at 400W X 5 the Denon runs a pair of KG-1's as "B" surrounds only.

Mark my system certainly sounds better when running in 7 channel vs. 2 channel I don't notice any loss or degradation of the signal in any of the channels. It is most likely a matter of individual preference.

Denon 3802 w/5 channel (all Heresy) is a surpisingly pleasant sound. Probably due to Heresy smaller size and efficiency, but it really pleasantly fills the room at very low volumes. I prefer (with this amp) 3 channel to 2 as well, although at higher volumes I prefer both 2 and 3 channel to 5 channel.

As I become more in sync with the 5 channel it is becoming my preference, time will tell

My Pioneer Elite 55TXi does 5/7 channel stereo, so I would assume most of the Pioneer line would too.

I've been playing around with the different modes (I've just had the receiver and the 47Ai player for a couple of weeks.) for a bit, and I keep coming back to DPL-II for two-channel music. It just sounds the most natural to me. NEO6 sounds good, too, but I prefer DPL-II. The 5-channel stereo mode puts too much in the surrounds. Different strokes for different folks, eh? In fact, I really think I prefer two-channel CD done through DPL-II, over some SACD/DVD-A titles that over-use the surrounds. I've just never heard music live where there were voices and instruments behind me!

----------------

On 9/10/2003 10:29:37 PM James D McCall wrote:

... The 5-channel stereo mode puts too much in the surrounds ...

----------------

I believe that 5/7 channel was really meant to accommodate more of a 'party' situation where the participants position are in flux and when it is desired to have equal levels of sound presence throughout the room.

I have a Yamaha with a 8 channel stereo mode. I hardley ever use it, the kids do to show off. I have three volume settings that I use for my rear surrounds and rear center. A low volume setting for eight channel stereo, because the rear will get way too loud. A middle volume setting for movies,( equal volume from all speakers at the sweet spot.) And a high volume setting for the dsp modes that I like to use while I listen to music. So everytime I power up I have to check what the rears and rear center volume is set to.

DVD Audio and SACD's will someday do away with the need for multi channel stereo and DSP's. First

we need to replace all our CD's like we did with are LP's. ?????????

If I'm not mistaken all Pioneer receivers have at least 5ch stereo. I have one of the cheaper models, VSX-D511, and it has it. I know the latest consumer grade Pioneer models have it and I'm pretty sure all the Elites have it or at least the 53tx I have ordered does.

----------------

On 9/11/2003 4:49:48 AM jerohm wrote:

I believe that 5/7 channel was really meant to accommodate more of a 'party' situation where the participants position are in flux and when it is desired to have equal levels of sound presence throughout the room.

----------------

Exactly. But a lot of folks seem to be expressing a preference for it as a music ~listening~ mode. I think it is fine for parties or maybe even as background music, but otherwise, no-thanks.