Signatures

dodger

Greetings:

At the risk of getting jumped on, my feeling on signatures.

They show who we are, where we have been and possibly where we are going.

I wish that the capability to list it once in a thread was available.

In reading signatures, I see quite a number in HT that can be as long.

I know how many emails or P.M.s I have received asking why I use or do not use, or how much I use each piece of equipment.

If you feel that you cannot find the text, do not read, simple.

Up until yesterday, other than teaching me how to format, I have received no complaints.

As Jim puts it, the signature is me.

I have played mediator, passed on information regarding equipment, posted equipment I am selling: all to the Forum first.

If I listed all of my equipment owned it would easily be three (3) times as long.

Parts of my signature are quite personal. I will not make ANY adjustments to those.

As may have been noticed, the pair of Heresys, the Yamaha tuner have never been listed. I also have not spoken of numbers of tube brands I have used, how many modifications I have had to my equipment.

I speak from the experience of that and what I have degrees in, other experience and other positions. The most open I have been about those have been in the Heresy II mods, speaking of my own experience with my Heresys and then when the discourse turned to Law.

I have great respect for the members of the Forum. I also do not point out those who are extremely vocal but do not own Klipsch presently, until now, though without mentioning names.

As far as class B amplification is concerned, I enjoy it, I paid for it.

New tube equipment is guided more by higher quality parts. Straight line is some of the newest as owners chose not to have extra controls. The 1960s were the highlight, with units refurbished where needed.

The one area that seems to be an agreed is the use of NOS tubes and as a secondary, Russian tubes made by companies owned by Americans copying Telefunken, Genalex, Mullard, Brimar designs.

I have seen that it is very easy for those that were staunch supporters of SS to switch to tube and then make snide comments regarding SS equipment. Makes a great impression on those that own SS, lurkers, etc..

Additionally SET Amplifiers were available years ago, I do not feel that I have to push people to one type or another, that is why we have choice.

I am quite irritated that due to comments I choose to defend my signature. Sending an email or PM would have been the more respectful thing.

I also feel that since this is an audio forum that can be read by those who own equipmnt and those learning about equipment has been stated that it's alright for objectionable language.

There are younger people reading this Forum for knowledge. Those that have parents who do not care for them reading the language. Some say it's part of growing up.

Being truly grown up is the ability to use language properly without resorting to the foul. I respect Mr. Brennan highly as he edited a post after I made a similar comment.

Mr. Brennan went so far as to apologize. That is a gentleman, an intelligent person.

Toward closing, is there equipment that in my opinion is poor, overpriced, or a bad choice? Yes Do I believe in the true spirt of debate adding to the Forum, yes.

I do not care to see a flat out statement that "your equipment is not right," or this is the best piece of equipment and then rammed down throats.

It can be fun to read that best piece of equipment that I HAVE OWNED.

I find that in these forums there are cliques or those that feel that due to their superior knowledge, they do not acknowledge other people. That is a shame, we can learn something from the most uneducated people. Seeing Newbie questions go unanswered is dismissing them.

We were all there before we received degrees. Or MULTIPLE degrees in different areas of electronics and other areas, including Music. Or in excess of 400 Continuing Educational Units in one area alone. In Rochester we have a fully accredited (NY State) College where you can gain credits through EXPERIENCE. I plan to go there for another degree and though you must take a number of their courses, you still gain by being tested and graded on your experience. More things on my wall. We were all newbies when we started buying equipment.

If this offends, I apologize. If you think you see yourself, just stop and think about other's feelings and how you would react.

Kelly, if you can't find my statements or replies, they are at the beginning, prior to my words to live by. Since you have chosen to make my signature the poster for reform and twice name me publicly when you have my email address, I will disclose the source of my irritation here. Humour once may be fine, but more that address me personally.

Personally, I do not have to bother listing all of the modifications to a set of amplifiers. But that is me.

For the rest, I do not have the patience to bother posting. I do not wish to be the one to run the board, nor run the board up with my signature.

You may all now run me to the ground as you wish. It is your choice to do so or not.

Win dodge

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dodger,

Have you considered posting your gear in a system profile over on Audio Asylum. Over there you can list as much as you'd like, with pictures. Maybe you could leave the personal comments in your sig here and add a link to your sytem over at AA. Just a suggestion, your sig doesn't bother me at all.

Chris

This response seems a bit excessive to me (I find the single sentence para. hard to read too, but that's not an insult, just a comment - I have a 21" monitor so each sentence is its own paragraphy and spaced). I dont see anyone ramming ANY amps down anyone's throat either. I hope you werent directing this to me as I have been giving equipment advice to newbies since day one, being one of the first to advocate the vintage tube integrateds, none of which got hardly any mention here (not to mention avocating tube solutions in general for Heritage). Perhaps a look in the archives is in order. I think this entire forum is helpful in this regard and I sure dont know how many posts I have penned of this nature. I have also written countless posts recommending good solid state options as well, many in the last few weeks. All my posts are obviously opinion, as are any in here. That should be a given. I dont know HOW MANY times I have made posts referencing the idea there ARE NO ABSOLUTES.

As for signatures, I was referring to ALL the excessively long signatures, not just yours, Dodger. You are the only one that seemed to take this as an attack on your personal being. Do a search in the archives for the countless threads on this matter in the past. The whole lot of the 2 Channel forum tried to acknowledge this after Mike Lindsey, Colin, and a few others brought it up. Mike and Colin went on to suggest the Audio Asylum solution of a complete listing of the gear with a link you could supply here. I felt a combination of the two was good as you dont always want to click to a link to see a reference point. But I surely did not state my case in an aggresive or offensive manner. I just have found that a many of the signatures are now getting EPIC length again, quite a few longer than the posts. Is it the be-all, end all topic of concern? Not hardly, but I just mentioned it. You shouldnt have to write a whole 40 paragraph post bringing up every concern in response. Alas, it is your right to do so; but the above seems a bit over-the-top in my view (not sure of why you are listing all your degrees here).

As for the language comment, I dont know how many children read this forum but I sure dont see foul language as being a dominant feature or even a remotely used one, only entering the fray at very infrequent times. While I am no fan of mindless name calling as it points to a lack of skill with expression, I dont think this place should be heavily edited. I think most in here are pretty reasonable in this regard.

Reading and looking between the lines at innuendo is a lost art in my view (close reading as well). Add writing to the list. I think a lot of problems here come from these two problems. Many styles of expression do exist here and it's amazing it works so well. On the whole, I think this forum is VERY well done. I surely peppered those equipment list comments with MANY nice things said about you as well as an offer to HELP you post your gear for sale. I even went out of my way to make a graphic of the Adcom 5200 specs and post on my server.

Regardless, sorry to see you had an adverse reaction to the Signature comment. My offer still stands to help those interested in getting their sigs on a page or in making it more compact.

kh

Kelly:

The paragraph in wich I used your name as an opening is the portion directed to you, with some addition of the modifications portion.

As I said. you have my email address and this could have been discussed.

Your naming me regarding signatures when that was not the topic became an issue to me. I am not normally on in the evening and prefer ANY comments regarding my signature or me be directed through email or PM.

Criticism of my responses, statements questions are open at any time. You made a comment once regarding signatures, to comment that you find it difficult to read my responses when you know where they are in the set-up of Forum question, response, statement, signature and use my name as the only reference is one step down.

As I stated, after I reformatted my signature, I had no open complaints. I am sure they will come out now.

Regarding the language issue refer to today's posts you will find one in there in the Subject field. While disliking censorship, I do feel that young ones have access to this site, Klipsch prefers that no objectionable language be used and in that frame we as adults keep that in mind.

As far as over the top, I had some areas I wanted to address and I did.

I did so all in one post. I do not want, nor expect only praise. In reading through the lines you should have seen one public comment utilizing me with a response from me should be sufficient without then utilizing my signature and name as the only example, a generalization would have been sufficient.

What was discussed in the past is that. A generalized post that some signatures seem too long, after our first discourse would have been sufficient, It is when I am singled out more than once, with a reply from me after the initial comment that I object to.

As for over the edge, your attack on Craig in public, was also over the edge in my opinion. Granted his language in reply was over the edge but your comments came out of left field in that post.

Win dodger

My attack on Craig in public? There was NO ATTACK on Craig in public recently from this end. Indeed, I tried to be a mediator on the forum in that one thread where it got way out of hand in the Guy/Edmond/Craig HF-81 thread. On the other hand, I made one post discussing the idea of changing vintage parts out in another thread, this HARDLY a personal attack.

Your close reading skills are highly in doubt. Please show me where I advertly attacked Craig in the last few weeks here. This is a highly irresponsible post. My post was directed succinctly at the idea of component replacement in vintage gear and was NOT a personal attack. Indeed, it gave Craig credit for using Auricaps and Vintage oils. Why you are calling it AN ATTACK is beyond me. It's completely off base. Craig and I have a delicately balanced relationship online and we have been trying to keep it that way since we work together. While we dont agree on many things and our posting styles drastically different, I have managed to keep the public comments above board. Once again, close reading at its best.

kh

ps- Where is the "foul" language in the subject field of a post in here???? I surely dont see it. I dont know about the other Klipsch forums but I tend to think of the 2 Channel as its own sep place. I dont combine them all as one. Are you referring to some other Klispch Forum now?

What a world it would be if everyones life problems involved whether or not they had the coolest amp or biggest speakers and whether or not someone took exception to something they did or said. What petty crap.

The subject of signatures has been discussed before. The suggestion was that for the convenience of others signatures should be reduced or linked elsewhere. I personally thought that was a good idea, as I get tired of scrolling thru the long sigs myself.

Nothing here will raise my BP though. I have a real life with real concerns. Maybe those will catch on around here. It appears that most here don't have one yet.

Keith

Greetings:

Read your post in the review of Gary's system. And then read Craig's response, then draw your own conclusions. Craig did. I re-read both exchanges.

Monday September 8.

Now let's see, we've gone to the point of calling my reading skills into place. Interesting tactical point.

I start with "Today's Posts." It is part of the Forum where a good number of people click to coming on. You've posted in other sections besides the two (2) Channel. There was a comment about the RIAA. I never even came close to stating you had used any foul language, nor did I state you did not reply to newbies. I stated two things regarding you: Your comment on what to call my gear for sale to which I responded, and the post that Craig responded to.

Not evry new person knows to click on words like my two channel system and be connected to a link.

I will leave it again, you made a comment in the post of my selling gear, I responded. In a later point you made a comment again, to others, using my name alone. Whether it was an attempt at humour or what, I had responded to you regarding signatures. Whether it was talked about before I started posting I cannot say. No one person looks up every post from the past.

I also stated that I wish there was the capability to delete signatures after an initial post. On that we agree. There is not such capability.

If we change, we should post no equipment. I am glad you wrote a section on equipment posting. In either event I guess I will call the question to eliminate equipment from signatures. There are the two (2) personal comment I would keep, my first and my third. But, just drop me an email suggesting a change or mentioning the fact that something had been discussed prior to my posting. That is what I ask. Then I feel no irritation with you, or we can agree to disagree.

Win dodger

Once something is mentioned to me on the forum and I respond on the forum, I do not like to read just my name mentioned regarding what I responded to. I generalize and keep it impersonal or I email or PM. That is all I ask on that account.

Hmmm. Slow day with stuff like this a hot topic.

I find the signatures long or short very useful. I hate having to follow links and my biggest peeve are those who simply post a link without even a CLUE as to what it points to.

I don't open unknown attachments or follow unreferenced links.

In general, I don't believe it is anybodies business (perhaps other than the moderators) what anyone posts or how they do it. Not much freedom left in this country (IMHO) and these are some of the few places left where anything goes and people can be themselves.

I no longer bite the bear bait, and if I've a problem with someone, their ideas, their signature, or whatever, I just blow on past.

Now, back to our regular fine fare...:-)

Dave

Win,

Kelly can be a real pain as most of us can 1.gif The problem with Kelly is he is a talented pain LOL !! I've learn to get to know his posting style and he mine. We have met a common ground point where we get along fine. Heck if you ever chatted on the phone with the guy you would freak and think he was a completely different person ! The guy is a true loon of the first order 2.gif

Craig

Kelly: If you feel comfortable, email your number and two loons as Craig would say can chat.

I've taken my own advice and emailed Kelly. In between, I must state that he emailed me after my first post, I got off, took a nap and did not see that he did email me. Credit for that.

Win dodger

I was asked to shorten my long sig once and I did so...I had not realized that a long sig sometimes made for a longer download (for dial up users) and generally made for more scrolling over hte same sig time and time again, I plan to use a link to my system description (at AA as mentioned) once my grows too long or I want to add more information. I think it is courtesy to keep the sig as short as possible. tony