Advice needed......SET AMP for Cornwalls

Cuffclean

If you are the King, you need a Crown!!!

-------------

I am more concerned with what Craig will use for the throne?2.gif

-----------------

I have just finished reading some of the input, throughput, output, insults, humour and attempts at humour. I assume somebody gave him a few good suggestions for SET and a few for PP. Let him do some research, come back and ask more questions. He will probably end up with something that sounds a lot better than what he has, and isn't that the main objective. Upgrades are available at a later date, just ask many members of this forum1.gif

Don

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"How many amps someone has listen too does not make there opinion any better or more valid then any other persons!!"

I think this bears repeating again as perhaps the mantra of a good many in the Klipsch Forum. How can one sentence say so much? The analysis of this only serves to obfiscate the beauty and truth within. The sad thing is that it DOES ring true here. In fact, a more true statement has not been said in this thread. The nail has been hit upon thy head and struck with force and it's a thick, beefy affair.

As for Mr. Perrot, I have not yet seen one reference to the SET amps he has had in his system to sample. Granted, system setup and matching is even more important with SET amplification, but at least an attempt with some good examples would suffice. Reading carefully is a lost art, especially in this place. IF one might notice, none of the people that have been SET proponents in this thread have said that PUSH PULL is useless topology.

kh

What a bunch of loons.

I think the point Craig was trying to make is that regardless of how many different things one has heard, the way one hears, along with what they naturally find more pleasurable -- puts a bias on the opinion, and so makes objectivity rather difficult.

I know when I listen, I'm also listening for certain characteristics -- if they aren't there, I'm somewhat let down. The things I'm listening for may not be the same things someone else is listening for. So, if I heard everything there is to hear, what good would my opinion be to someone who has only heard two or three things -- if my preferences in signature do not line up with theirs?

1995 interview w/ Lucky, and 09SEP update..

I recently interviewed Ahmad Jamal who visited Lucky Thompson within the last 6 months: he's living in the Seattle area, but as Ahmad said, "Very underground." I had heard he was living on an island in the area. Jim Wilke, producer of Jazz After Hours from KUOW in Seattle, has also affirmed Thompson's presence there.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Can anyone tell me how much $69 USD in 1959 would translate in 2003?

$435.

Ah, a thread hijacking. Where else can it possibly be done better than here?

And where else but the Net, where the ability to type gives you an opinion that can be shared, does one find the great equalizing effects beforementioned?

Why do you never see perfect "10" ratings (or abysmal "0" ratings) on the Net? Because there is always someone, somewhere, with a dissenting opinion and the ability to type.

I wouldn't even waste the finger work to argue the concept that (paraphrasing) "Experience doesn't augment an opinion".

Hey, Allan is quoting lyrics now, don't you think you should take a hint and get back on track?

I dont see any of Guy's posts gone anywhere, including this thread. I also would not see why he would get the boot either as he has contributed a lot in the past and is one of the few here that has had tube exposure/experience longer than 19 months.

Guy has owned a plethora of amps from vintage to new and has a nice collection of software in vinyl. In addition, he has a great reference system and has owned Klipschorns and written much on crossover mods (he was a proponent of the Type A xover with oils even in comparison with the ALK, which he sold here for a reasonable price).

He has also owned and commented on a large variety of some of the best vintage tube amps made and sold a few on this very forum. To summarize his contribution as "one who starts a lot of flames" is doing him an injustice. He has been the consumate gentleman in all I have seen until recently when he just became completely frustrated with another forum member.

kh

Maybe I just saw his evil twin. I can't recall a recent thread where Guy was doing anything but starting a flame. And yes, it was almost always directed at one individual but not exclusively. If you guys say he contributed a lot to the forum, I believe you. I just didn't see much of it recently. Maybe after a rest he'll come back as his old self.

I edited my prior post giving Guy the benefit of the doubt but being experienced does not afford you a backstage pass for trashing others opinions and starting wars.

You guys are funny. Since everyone knows it's Craig, what's the point in saying things like, "certain individual", "forum member", etc.

Yeah, Craig has about as much tact as a ballistic missile. Why use 1500 grit and a 1000 side to side movements when you can do it all with one swipe of 50 grit.9.gif

C'mon people, it's time to lighten up a little. It's only stereo stuff for cryin out loud.

Anyone seen Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine yet?

Dylan cant be helped by anything at this stage; Thank Jesus for recordings.

Then again, I have trouble with many of my old guitar heroes. Listening to someone like Eric Clapton after he kicked the Heroin habit has been very painful to me as his music sounds as vapid as an FM commercial jingle. In some ways, it is a blessing some of the rock greats went down in their prime. Hendrix in the year 2000 would be hard to imagine. Look what happened to Miles after the late 60s. ALmost every great band of yesteryear that is still trying to put out new material has been an embarrassment. Amazingly enough, the modern fan is too smitten to notice the mediocrity. Give me small indie bands any day over my old heroes - As stated above, thank sweet Jesus for vinyl.

BTW, the 50 grit reference is an interesting one.

kh

Paul, I have not even read a post of yours recently that has anything to add but rank sarcasm not to mention a missing of the point with a literal bent more often weighing in. You dont list your gear in your signature, have not sampled what you criticize, and bought your first tube amp, an EICO HF-81, from advice received in this forum, all less than 15 months ago, this in a move up from a McIntosh MC-502 into Khorns. And now you wax lyrical on the lack of merit of SET amplification and seemingly combat every post I submit, most taken literally showing a lack of reading between the lines. If you are SO dense as to suggest I meant that literally you are a sad case. As Jeff says, keep up the informative posts; your expertise and wealth of info is duly noted. Your sense of the absurd (sure to be taken literally) is noted as well.

kh