In Memory: Johnny Cash, John Ritter

dodger

Hello:

Again with a sadness and a glimpse of my own mortality, I give tribute to two (2) entertqainers that passed.

One an Icon: Johnny Cash. The other an actor, John Ritter.

Johnny Cash lived a life that had trouble and had many successes. His ability to play Country and roll over to Popular music made him as unique as his voice. He will be missed and may he rest peacefully.

John Ritter died on the set of his new show "Eight Rules for Dating My Daughter." That in itself is sorrowful. I enjoyed that show because of its attempt to show the American Audience that a family can work even with John playing the part of a bumbling Father. Family values is the way I will remember him.

He was a comedian and known for his 1970s show "Three's Company." May he also rest peacefully.

It is a shame that we have to see so many we know of pass, it is more sad to Post two (2) on the same day with a thread still continuing for another that passed.

These Artists and their work shall be missed.

Win dodger

I grew up listening to the man in black as well. One of my parents' favorite stories to tell about me is taking me to a Johnny Cash show in memphis when I was 4 months old where I promptly slept through the whole thing. The woman and I had just made a pact to go see him anywhere we could. I remember listening to an album with "one piece at a time" on it, directly followed by his cover of Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage" and determining that JC was one of the coolest people alive. Its a sad day for several generations of music lovers.

Elvis and Johnny Cash records are what I learned to play the drums on at 7 years old. They are in my blood, heart and soul. Always and forever. More so than the Beatles or Stones. My parents allowed me to stay up late to watch the Johnny Cash Show back in the early `70`s. I`ll never forget his intro,"Hello, I`m Johnny Cash".

My personal feeling was that Johnny Cash was not long for this world after his dear wife June Carter passed away just a couple of months ago. June kept Johnny`s fire burning for life. No couple were closer than they were. How lucky were we all to have him for the number of years that we did.

Every album the past few years just seemed to get better and better. Just an endless stream of art to give. And what class this man had. Was he the greatest at what he did? No one has ever done it better. No one ever will. Period.

They will both certainly be missed. I listened to Johnny Cash yesterday on my way to work. I recently bought one of his greatest hits CD since I didn't have any of his music and I've really been enjoying it the past couple of months.

May they both rest in peace.

I too will be listening to the Man in Black and toasting his legacy. I discovered Johnny Cash only in 1996 after hearing his cover of Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage". Sure, I had heard "Folsum Prison Blues", "A Boy Named Sue" and "Ghostriders" with the Highwaymen. But growing up in the suburbs, "country wasn't cool". But after listening to his first American album with producer Rick Rubin, I discovered what "Alternative" really means. And, then I started to discover the rest of his catalogue and read his autobiography and discovered he was as much a punk as Sid Vicious.

For those of you who haven't heard it, give a listen to his version of "Hurt" on "The Man Comes Around". For me, it is the most powerful song I have ever heard.

In the words of Roy Orbison, "I'm Crying"

8.gif

May he rest in peace.

Paul

----------------

On 9/12/2003 11:30:18 AM kenratboy wrote:

Not another one
15.gif
He will be missed by many.

Doesn't it seem like each now and then, a lot of famous/important people die withing a month of each other, than nothing for a long time?

----------------

Greetings:

Yes it does seem like that at times. That seems to multiply the sorrow.

Plus approaching 51, and john Ritter being 54 or 55, I've heard both today, plus my own Father being 55 at passing it brings mortality too close.

Having only a sister that may not have long - she turned 56 June 28 - and one cousin besides my wife it hits harder. I do have have 2 nieces one of whom there is no contact since my Mother passed.

Looking at it from a different light, none of them are into audio equipment and I don't wish to leave it to any in-laws, there's going to be a good sale. I'll make it a point to have my executor post my Cornwall IIs and Hersesys to the Forum - pick up only:)

But back to the post, I had for gotten about the Johnny Cash Show, thanks for bringing it to mind.

Win dodger

----------------

On 9/12/2003 11:43:31 AM PAR69 wrote:

For those of you who haven't heard it, give a listen to his version of "Hurt" on "The Man Comes Around". For me, it is the most powerful song I have ever heard.

----------------

Agreed! An amazing album. Absolutely stunning. The CD comes with a music video DVD of "Hurt." Get it.

"The hairs on your arm will stand up."

fini

You people with your last words and tributes make me throw up!!!! Where were you all yesterday, last week, a year ago? No one has ever mentioned John Ritter on this site before now, now that he bite it, Oh he waaas suuuuch wonderful person. GET A LIFE PEOPLE!!!! Your weak mined. You act like this guy was your best friend because you saw a rerun of three's company once. Or you bought Johnny Cash's CD and he is now your long lost brother. MOVE ON !!!

"Last words are for people who haven't said anything in life" - Karl Marx

>>You people with your last words and tributes make me throw up!!!! Where were you all yesterday, last week, a year ago? No one has ever mentioned John Ritter on this site before now, now that he bite it, Oh he waaas suuuuch wonderful person. GET A LIFE PEOPLE!!!! Your weak mined. You act like this guy was your best friend because you saw a rerun of three's company once. Or you bought Johnny Cash's CD and he is now your long lost brother. MOVE ON !!!<<

I for one am old enough to have watched EVERY episode of three's company (watched them several times over) and the Johnny Cash Show, which was a favorite in my family. I am a big fan of each, and my grief, as I'm sure are many others, is real.

Dave

15.gif

I have often commented to family and acquaintances that Johnny Cash is\was the only male country star whose music I can tolerate. His catalog of songs is staggering: I Walk the Line, Folsom Prison, Ring of Fire, Jackson....

I had the opportunity to see him in a live performance about 5 years ago (before his health nose-dived)... his stage presence, even in his mid-60's, was massive and incredible. His first words, to my delight, most of you will remember from his numerous television appearances:

"Hello, I'm Johnny Cash".

I can still hear it in my head.

My wife did not understand the "big deal" with his performance of "Hurt", and the video made of the song. The poignancy and pain nearly brings a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat as I type this...

Time to listen to some music, and think of the amazing career of a lost Legend; I'm extremely thankful that he has left a huge body of work to enjoy, hopefully for a very long time...