Weather relataed: Mobile Homeless

dodger

Appears Kelly's place may be spared the brunt of the storm, though the wind field has grown. Rain bands just starting to move into Chapel Hill (about 120 miles inland) and landfall is still 6 hours away, so it's a humongous storm. These images will automatically update over time.

9wf.jpg

reg_rad.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have to hand it to electric company which had power back on in 30min, this done during some serious winds...

I have been through about 10 hurricanes and this wont be near the worst although it will be one of the few experienced on the beach front. IF the winds werent so damn strong, it would be INSANE out there with solid 15-18ft waves coming in with sideshore to offshore winds. The spray blowing back is a good 20feet in the air on top of the height! Beautiful. Will try to get some shots although the rain comes down hard off and on with bands passing over. This is a very fast moving storm with the clouds moving at a tremendous rate.

Great stuff down where I am.

kh

hmm, reminds me of a tornado here in Minnesota many years back. A friend was out on his porch watching it (!) when the porch lifted up about a foot and dropped back down. He dived into the house and ran to the basement.

Later he came out and noticed something a bit different about the front yard. The 100 year old tree, with a trunk diameter of about 3 feet, was gone. Just a hole where it used to be (which took up half his front yard).

I'm with Kelly since the Eye of the storm is surely going to hit north of him. His location is pretty safe and would be a great experience to stay and watch mother nature do its thing ! I would stay too ! Heck while everyone else runs for cover when we have Tornado warnings I go outdoors to try see one 11.gif

Craig

Greetings:

Wish you all the best, but somehow I don't understand staying in the path of a storm that has the potential for impaling you with debris, or causing the house to collapse on you.

Personal Safety seems more important, but then again, what do I know, staring down the bore of 9mm, .38s, and a .45 at least I could reson with the people, you can't reason with a storm.

Not to mention the sustained volume db of the winds and hearing.

Gary: Good luck my wish for the best.

email me after.

Win

Careful what you wish for, Craig. I was about 300 yards from a two mile wide zone of total destruction from the force 5 tornado of "Terrible Tuesday" in 1979 at Wichita Falls, Texas.

I've been that scared twice. The other time was meeting a VC with AK47 while wandering the jungle in civvies. Both were pretty stupid.

Dave

WE just had an amazing band pass over in the last 15 minutes, easily the most powerful yet with a solid 60mph here on the beach front. Town is getting 55mph gusts so dont know what we are getting out here. To give you an idea, the whole house is shaking and the noise from the rain on the rear windows is intense. There is a vortex behind my house by the porch and the roar through this in the gusts sounds loud as a bastard. This latest squall line is so heavy, I cant see the beach from here. The power lines are really moving now with 4-6 ft swings. The house across from me has some siding coming off but still not much damage. The worst part of the storm is going to be after 1pm or so depending on speed of travel.

Another side note; this last gust actually made my computer monitor sway!

I am going to attempt to record the sound of the wind and rain hitting my office and play it here. It's a wild ride with the intense part yet to come. I am amazed the power is still up. Friends in town report it being off since 7:30am.

See below - notice ISABEL EYE WALL to right of radar - that is south-west side of wall

SOME INSANE GUSTS RIGHT NOW AS THAT HEAVY BAND PASSES OVER.

radar1.jpg

We're supposed to get hit hardest between 9pm and 7am with sustained winds of 50-60mph and gusts of 70+. My guess is I'll be up most of the night making sure no water is getting in. I wish it was hitting us during the day so I could see better.

Keep posting Kelly while you can! Do you think those power lines hold up much longer? 6 ft is a lot of sway!

Fini, see the radar map above for my exact location...

We just had a 78mph gust here according to my loonball friend with his rooftop weatherstation. He is about a 1/2 mile from me so I believe it. It's pretty intense here now right on the beach. These bands come and go with it getting VERY intense only to decrease for a spell.

The storm is picking up speed so should move by you guys in MD pretty fast relatively speaking. Just count the NC coast as VERY lucky as 100mph is a HUGE difference from 155!

Any of the froots that have that regular vinyl siding can start weeping early as that worthless mess is history on many of the houses the next beach up (hell yeah, we'll save on paint!).

One of the local weather froots just showed a shot of whole walls of the mess gone and all over the beach. Lovely.

I'm thinking of walking the cat!

kh

ps- Dodger, has that storm come early for you up there? What happened to that signature? Holy replay! A bit aggressive there - did you suddenly have a bad Flashback?