Beyma CP25 questions

dhsettim

Guys,

Unfortunatly, the party is over with respect to $60 Beyma CP25 tweeters!

I was getting them in the past from Beyma USA. When I attempted to order 4 of

them last week I received no confirmation and finally called them to ask what

was going on. I was informed that they had lost the Beyma agency and that I

should contact Beyma in Spain for the new distributer in the US. I sent them

an email and received the name of the new distributer the next morning. It

turns out that Beyma USA had lost the agency last October and was simply

selling out their stock. I talked to the new rep on the phone and followed up

with an email to him. Here are several quotes from his response to my request

for an official price quote on CP25 tweeters:

Al K.

Quote (in part)....................

Regarding the Beyma CP25 that you are inquiring about, as I mentioned to you

during our telephone conversation Beyma USA is no longer in existence.

The Euro has risen from roughly .88 to 1.20 +/- currently, hence the increase

in price. With regard to the pricing you were being afforded, this is an OEM

price.

As you are not an OEM adjusted OEM prices are not an issue.

My name was present on every order that was processed through Beyma USA until

my departure in October of 2003

US Speaker is our Internet Sales partner, we do not sell (intentionally) to

end users and in fact current resale certificates are required by all

Contractors, Distributors and Retailers.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Sincerely,

Keith Gronsbell

Acustica Beyma, S.A.

Executive Commercial Director - North America

FYI

DIYparadiso

quote in euro not in us$ as my bankaccount is in euro.

so 56.05 euro x 2 = 112.1 euro

shipping 25 euro

visa add 3%

tot = 137.1 + 4.4 = 141.5 euro

best rgds

benny

xe.com Universal Currency Converter ® Results

Live mid-market rates as of 2004.06.10 12:56:50 GMT.

141.00 EUR

Euro = 169.831 USD

United States Dollars

1 EUR = 1.20447 USD 1 USD = 0.830238 EUR

----------------

On 6/10/2004 8:09:44 AM Colin wrote:

FYI

DIYparadiso

quote in euro not in us$ as my bankaccount is in euro.

so 56.05 euro x 2 = 112.1 euro

shipping 25 euro

visa add 3%

tot = 137.1 + 4.4 = 141.5 euro

best rgds

benny

xe.com Universal Currency Converter ® Results

Live mid-market rates as of 2004.06.10 12:56:50 GMT.

141.00 EUR

Euro = 169.831 USD

United States Dollars

1 EUR = 1.20447 USD 1 USD = 0.830238 EUR

----------------

So Colin,

This means that the CP25 is $170 (approx) shipped? Just wanted to confirm that I'm following that right.

Al,

Thanks for tracking this down. I'd wondered what the heck was going on when I finally tracked down "Beyma USA" and a guy answered the phone, "hello". 8.gif

Guys,

Yes, Keith described the previous outfit as a "loose cannon". When I

contacted them in the past, I was also greeted by "hello"! I also was

surprised by several disconnected phone numbers along the way. I was always

confused by who I was talking to and astonished that I was getting the CP25

at such a price! I could never get a straight answer as to who they would and

would not sell to. I finally decided the way to flush out the truth was to

promote the CP25 and tell everybody that the CP25 was $60 directly for Beyma

of America. It worked! I couldn't believe that an official importer would

circumvent their retail dealers by selling their products to anybody!

As I see it though, the CP25 is still a very good value even at $149 each. I

have not heard the big JBL equivalent but doubt that it's enough better to

justify the price un less you want to "buy American" at any price. The CP25

is without question a better tweeter than the K77 / T-35 for the price.

BTW: If you order a set from Europe, you best check on the import duties. You might wind up spending a lot more than you expect!

Al K.

• 1 month later...

----------------

On 8/5/2004 9:18:21 AM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Guys,

I just fund two Beyma CP25 tweeter for sale on eBay. The starting bid is about $30, BUT.. They need diaphragms. U.S. Speaker wants $129 plus shipping cost for a set of TWO diaphragms.

Al K.

----------------

Interesting. I bought a pair of "working" CP 25's from this same Canadian seller. Didn't realize until they quit that the diaphragms had been "repaired". Not alot one can do with those delicate diaphragms, but I was surprised to find masking tape inside.

Anyway, at least these are listed as needing diaphragm replacement.

U.S. Speaker was really good to work with to obtain diaphragms. There was some delay with my order and when I called to check status, they apologized and sent my order overnight at no extra charge.

Dee,

Did the starting bid reflect a working set when you bought yours? That is, is the $30 starting bid on this set in line with what you expect of this seller?

BTW: I found clear tape inside a couple K55V drivers I had to replace diaphragns on a while ago. In this case I think it was done to act as a spacer. It didn't help becasue some idiot put K55M diaphragms in k55V drivers! They won't fit no mater how much tap you stick on them!

Al K.

Al,

I don't recall the opening bid on the pair that I bought, as the auction already had a few bids when I saw it. Likely it was about the same... the closing price was about $70 for the pair. I didn't feel too bad about it, caveat emptor and all that. Still ended up with a pair and brand new diaphragms for well under retail. Also didn't feel the need to leave negative feedback for the seller. But my ears did perk up when I saw the sellers name again on this auction.

I'm going to start calling you The Snitty Professor. :)

I figure the bigger the room, the higher the output of the drivers has to be to reach the same SPL at the listening position. I'm using stock Klipschorns in a relatively small area of larger room (2nd floor of a cape cod, with the knee walls), and I only sit 12 feet back. I can easily reach a very clean 110 SPL steady state at my chair with very little power from my 40 watter. So, distortion is very low, since the drivers don't have to do all that much to fill that area. Not only can I get people to jump out of my chair, but I can launch them out the window. However, in a bigger room, I wouldn't get the same effect, as I would have to push the drivers much harder -- raising distortion exponentially.

----------------

On 8/13/2004 10:04:37 AM DeanG wrote:

I'm going to start calling you The Snitty Professor.
:)

>>all right already

The point of the post is that it is a relative measurement and, under the same set of circumstances, the Beyma tweeter does not perform the same "effect" as the JBL.

The dispersion of the JBL is quite good and, in a large room useful.

I like the Beyma tweeter, I just like the JBL more.

----------------

• 1 month later...

----------------

On 8/13/2004 1:59:23 AM John Warren wrote:

----------------

On 8/13/2004 1:05:55 AM DeanG wrote:

I'm curious John, how big is your room and what kind of SPLs are we talking about here?----------------

The room is 27 x 14 x 8'.

SPLs? who the hell cares, the effects are bleeding obvious!!!

----------------

How about my 54 x 18 x 12' listening room.

• 10 years later...

Updating this very old thread to link to the settings for using an active digital crossover (EV Dx38) with a Belle and a CP25 tweeter. 

The difference is a substantial increase in polar coverage, even up to its HF limit, much increased sound quality and smoothness, and increased bandwidth (2.5 KHz- greater than 21 KHz):

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/123370-settings-for-tri-amping-an-82-belle-with-an-active-digital-crossover/page-3#entry1762755

belle+beyma cp25 tweeter 1-48th octave smoothing.jpg

Edited by Chris A

• 6 years later...

I have experience of both the ev t35a (having been around since the 70's!) and a pair of Bob Crites CT125's which are remarkable for their price. 

I did measure them and the burst decay and cumulative spectrum show negligible resonances...a property of Mylar perhaps and accounts for their smooth sound even if the hf is rolled off a bit! I contacted Bob Crites re his B&C versions (CT120) but he was not able to supply anything but FR plots which only tells a small part of the story.

I have just ordered a pair of the now discontinued Beyma cp25 and look forward to integrating them into my systems, one built around the P.Audio/Goodwood PB450  (the one with the modified diffraction slot)...excellent up to 8khz where it gets a bit hard as expected (Beyma 750ti CD...fabulous 2" driver, but conforms to the usual restrictions of 2" throat drivers). The other system, in progress, a pair of jbl 2360a with "consecutive serial numbered and measured" EV DH1A's..

Gone off track...the Beyma cp25 is as we know a jbl clone, possibly better. The response is typically not so flat as the T35 replacements but the polar response, more important, is superbly even. The impedance is very flat in the bands of interest and assuming 8 ohms is pretty spot on..see impedance plot on their spec sheet. You'll have to down load it!!

The other spec that no one has mentioned here is the superb dispersion at 100 x 80 degrees with even response on and to well off axis. The T35 clone has similar figures but narrows at higher frequencies. In truth you can place either in either orientation to suit if using as a super tweeter as at vhf the gap closes between H and V dispersion.

I would expect the ali diagram of the cp25 to offer a little more transparency and detail being a bit stiffer compared to the mylar and hopefully it's first break up mode beyond most people's hearing..certainly mine at 66!

But we shall see. When I have them I will try and post the FR, Impedance, Burst Decay and Cumulative Spectrum so you can see for yourselves!

• Like 1