Pioneer SX-650 thoughts

jhawk92

All-

Had the opportunity to start cleaning out some equipment from my wife's grandfather's place this weekend and we found a Pioneer SX-650 receiver in very good condition w/ manual. It's 35W RMS, and I forgot to jot down the THD numbers. Research on eBay says they go for about $45-75. Does anyone have experience with this specific unit? I know AudioReality has lots of Pioneer knowledge. How would this unit compare to one of the H/K 430/730 units? Is this worth hanging onto, or putting up for sale? Thanks.

Gary-

Thanks for the fast reply. We'll see what her dad wants to do. May see if we can hang onto it for a future system. But the wife isn't big on "saving" audio gear for the future.

As a side note, I may be in town (Reston) for another meeting Tue/Wed. I won't know what the schedule is for another day, and this may be too short notice, but I at least wanted to let you know.

Rob,

Bad week for me. I'll be working late most likely and all the things I needed to do around the house today didn't get done since I spent the day tailgating and attending the Raven's game. Although Im a Skins fan I can't turn down an invitation to a Raven's game. Had a great time even though they blew it (lost on a kickoff return for a TD). Skins won though which is way more important!1.gif

Rob, I have a friends SX-1000 and it sounds great with the Forte IIs. Never had or heard the HK430 but this Pioneer is quite warm. I was 90% sure he was going to sell it but he just informed me, Friday, that he would prefer to keep it. Doubt he will ever use it but I think he bought it in Vietnam and I can understand his interest in holding on to it.

I agree, with Gary, that you should keep it but if you do decide to sell, I would be interested.

Those old Pioneers are solid units...but the best way to make a comparison judgement between them and the HK X30 twin-powered series is to do a comparison listen through some Heritage speakers...then you will HEAR the difference...pay close attention to general performance, but don't overlook the BACKROUND noise...or lack thereof...between the two brands...you will know what I mean when you perform the listening test! 2.gif

----------------

On 9/29/2003 11:58:18 AM HDBRbuilder wrote:

Those old Pioneers are solid units...but the best way to make a comparison judgement between them and the HK X30 twin-powered series is to do a comparison listen through some Heritage speakers...then you will HEAR the difference...pay close attention to general performance, but don't overlook the BACKROUND noise...or lack thereof...between the two brands...you will know what I mean when you perform the listening test!
2.gif

----------------

Andy,

Sounds like you've done this before and already know the answer.4.gif

Yes, Andy, do tell if there is a big difference. The receiver is in my father-in-law's hands now, in WV, and I'm pretty sure he wants to sell it. I don't know that I want to be the one to buy it. I have been very happy with the SS HT and now my Scott/K-horn combo, and I don't think my wife would like me to have that laying around the house for some future use.

Gary-

No problem on the visit. My schedule has changed also, so I don't think I would have been able to make it either. Guess we'll take a rain check.

Boomac-

I'll see what the plan is on the receiver and let you know. Shoot me an email with your location and maybe this will make it easier.

I'll never forget the day one of my best friends traded in his Fisher integrated tube amp for a Pioneer SX-*** (whatever). It was downhill from there on out. Got worse as he moved up from 4 JBL L-100's to a pair of Khorns. 14.gif

Hello,

I own several of the SX-x50 line.

Classic styling and intriguing back panel array allow for a unique, vintage peice.

Worth having, if one can be found in decent shape.

Many i've seen have had a bad left channel or fried power switch.

Though, those in particular all looked to have lived rough lives.

(dirty and beaten upon)

The SX-450 and 550 make excellent office or garage systems and will power many speaker types.

But that's about it.

The SX-650 and 750 offer up greater power and flexibility but again, because of part compliment and age, they all have become a little noisy.

As is all vintage SS utilizing ceramaic caps and such.

Though it's not terribly bad.

Our horns just aren't forgiving when it comes to that sort of thing.

The SX-850 and 950 are better in quality by means of allowing a broader tolerance from internal components.

But yet, they too suffer the same fate.

In comparison to the H/K....well it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Different critters, inside and out.

Regards,

John

jhawk,

Don't let this slip through your fingers! I have an SX-850 that I bought new in 1977 or 78 I forget which. I use it in my workshop and it still ROCKS. It has more kick at 65Watts/channel than my SXV-509s that I use for my HT which is rated at 100watts/channel. Also, rated THD is

0.1%.

Keep it or better yet sell it to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Does this mean I should hang on to my SX-950? The unit has moved with me from Air Force base to Air Force Base over my career. Got it around 1976. Finally decided to get something else this last summer because I wanted to play with home theater. Guess I do hang onto things for quite a length of time.

Maybe I should hang onto it and get some some RF-5s or something and put the rb5s in the bedroom.

Mike