Back surgery finally over

Griffinator

Yep. Had surgery on my L4-5 (Intra-Discal Electro-Thermal treatment) disc last Thursday, and am finally getting functional enough to walk around a bit.

Crossing fingers at this point, really. I'm on so much pain medication right now that I really don't know if it helped. Hopefully in the next week or so I'll have a clearer picture.

Glad it's over, really. The anticipation over the last couple weeks prior was excruciating.

Very cool! Did Dr. Saal perform the operation? I did some looking-into IDET, even went down to Stanford to pick up some info, but my two discs are so degenerated, there's probably not enough left to treat. Were you able to get insurance to cover it?

It's a fascinating treatment. Here's some info on IDET.

Good luck, and let us know how things go. I am particularly interested!

fini

----------------

On 10/15/2003 11:20:41 PM fini wrote:

Very cool! Did Dr. Saal perform the operation? I did some looking-into IDET, even went down to Stanford to pick up some info, but my two discs are so degenerated, there's probably not enough left to treat. Were you able to get insurance to cover it?

It's a fascinating treatment.

Good luck, and let us know how things go. I am particularly interested!

fini

----------------

Actually, Dr. Visepong Punyanitya performed the operation. He's the leading resident orthopedic surgeon at Martha Jefferson hospital in Charlottesville, VA. Good guy, really. He's been in the business for 35-odd years, tracing all the way back to his humble beginnings in Singapore.

As far as the IDET is concerned, rest assured - my discogram was an absolute mess - the doc told me afterwards that "usually we don't see anything until we do the cat-scan. When I injected you (with the dye) I saw it leaking out of various points in the disc almost immediately." I had several hundred annular tears in the disc they operated on. Don't assume that your disc is "too far gone" to be salvaged.

Oh - and BCBS set a wonderful precedent in March by announcing coverage of IDET. Just about everyone does now. I have UHC - one of the more stubborn carriers about taking procedures off the "experimental" list - they covered without a pre-qualification. Probably because it's really just a simple injection procedure when it comes down to it.