WooHoo

BigBusa

I'm picking up the walnut Klipschorns in about an hour! I've certainly been talking about these speakers long enough eh? Thank gawd I have more patience at 36 than I did at 26. I would have busted at the seams waiting for the these things to materialize 10 years ago.

Like Rod Stewart once said ..."Tonights the night".

Will post pics later.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WHOO HHooooo! Got em!

KB-WO 15T784 and 15T785. These have the type AA crossovers. I believe they are 1979's. They are gorgeous. One small mark on the face. It's a ding about 1/2" long on an edge. Other than that they appear to be very nice.

Damn! These things are BIG! They make our TV look small. They seem to fit pretty well in my corners. Not exactly flush because of some moulding.

I got a friend to help me with the job. We arrived at the sellers house and they already had the speakers on the porch waiting for us. The seller told of how one speaker was "scratchy" and that he thought it might be a faulty crossover. I was nervous but didn't bother testing them before handing over the dough.

We placed them one at a time, on his creeper and wheeled them down the walkway to my truck. The both fit in the bed of my subaru brat in the upright position.

We got them loaded and was back at my home in about 30 minutes. Two of us carried the speakers inside to the listening room after removing a door from its hinges. We got them placed and wired to the dyna twins ...Hanz and Franz. 9.gif

Flipped all the switches on the stereo system and the Khorns that hadn't been used in over 10 years came to life. A quick listen assured me that all the drivers were working and sounded fine.

Since it's nighttime and I'm a good neighbor I didn't turned them up loud. Just the slightest crack of the volume knob produces some serious sound! Even with the volume closed music can still be heard through the Khorns. The hum of the amps is now VERY noticable with the volume off. It was not before. Not with the cornwalls and not with the ads L810's. The big watt amps and the super efficient speakers make for an interesting combination.

So far I like them a lot. The significant other said "they're bulbous".9.gif I think they are way to big for my room and I don't particularly like how much they tow in but I will "make do". More realistic listening tomorrow after the neighbors are gone. 2.gif

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=28613&

post-7446-1381924981204_thumb.jpg

BB,

They appear to be in real nice condition.These are the same ones you looked at months ago correct?

The Klipschorns are real amplifier dependant and show off any flaw in the chain.I myself use SS with mine but switch off to tubes every now and then.

I would try these out with your Dynacos for a bit and if possible try out that tube Fisher you have as well-maybe you'll favor one over the other.

Congratulations,

Jeff

PS: You fit them both in the back of the Brat with the seats and skipoles intact?

Gary I did turn it up a bit and was more than impressed with the bass. I wish that I had just swapped out the cornwalls today so I'd have a better frame of reference. Unfortunately, for the last couple of weeks I've been listening to a pair of ADS L810's that have some pretty weak bass.

I'll put on MJ's "Thriller" tomorrow and see if I can get the preamps volume knob up to "1". 11.gif

JCT these are the khorns that I posted about 6-10 months ago. I had been saying they were early 80's but they turned out to be 79's. They really aren't as dark as my pic makes them out to be. My brat doesn't have the rear seats installed.

Don't worry o'er much about the room size. Those beauties will still sound better than almost any other speaker in your room even if your room is not ideal.

You do understand that Hans and Fritz are hardly suitable companions for those dear boys ?

Those Dynaco's are very good amps - bridged or not for driving low effiency acoustic suspension speakers - but most definitely are not a good match for high efficiency speakers. Those boys aren't happy sounding unless they are being driven hard and if you ever get them working hard with a pair of khorns - Your neighbours will burn you at the stake and should you survive your audiologist will be prescribing behind the ear aids in the vain hope that a pair of super powered aids powered by a pair of 24v. diesel starter batteries will enable you to hear a loud shout at 3 feet :~)>

Hook them up to your vintage Fisher and while they won't have quite the slam that those Dyanacos produce you will find that in time you will prefer the sound over the Dynas.

A challenge for you. Hook the horns up to the Fisher for a week and then revert ( errumm regress to Hulk and Mr. T.) . I can almost guarantee the Fisher will be back in the driver's seat within a day.

Don

Too bad that room is tiny!! EQ your way out of any bass deficiency you may experience, but do the tailboard seal thing first. Imaging is probably not great, since the sweet spot is so far in front of your listening position. My room could be a bit wider. I find that when I sit forward a bit, everything just comes together. Keep in mind those top sections are easily disconnected from the bass bins. Coupla wing nuts and they pop right off. You probably wouldn't like the aesthetics, but once disconnected, you could play with toe-in angles.

As far as being a bear to move, they're not all that bad. To move mine up out the basement, I didn't even get help. It was a long, involved process, but the stairs were about the easiest part. I didn't even bother removing the tops.

1. Measure everything.

2. Curse loudly, remembering that they DO have to go out the back door sideways.

3. Remove side grills.

4. Remove studio door mouldings(yes it's that tight), back door, storm door pump & bracket.

5. Lay khorn down to apply felt pads (hardwood floors upstairs).

6. Put on appliance dolly. It's old, so use ratchet strap to hold in place,and use a towel to prevent scratches.

7. Go through studio door and up basement stairs, keeping the cabinet from banging the walls, which are less than an inch away.

8. At top of stairs, remove from dolly. Turn sideways and walk it out the back door onto a moving blanket.

9. Repeat step 6.

10. Wheel around to front door, thanking God & my brother for the new back sidewalk and patio. Make mental note to replace the front sidewalk.

11. Up the few front steps & into the living room, scaring the **** out of the dogs in the process.

12. Put everything back together, as wifey can't figure out where she wants the piano, which is in the way of the right speaker.

-----a day passes----

13. Make decision for wifey regarding said piano.

14. Repeat from top, pausing outside to remove a portion of the tailboard (already damaged anyway) to make room for baseboard heater.

See, it's simple, really.

If anyone needs help moving Heritage speakers, I work for expenses and LPs.1.gif

I initially hooked the khorns up to the 600w bridged dynacos but the khorns are so "true" that I heard a lot of hiss and some hum at idle. I'd never heard that amplifier noise before in any speakers connected to these amps. I switched one amp back to 200wpc stereo mode and got rid of 70% of the idle noise. Bridging to create big wattages also creates much more noise.

The khorns sound fantastic ...but ...(there's always a but) the bass is lacking in my opinion. The Klipsch Cornwalls seemed to have a more powerful, belly shaking bottom end.

I'm going to pick up a 20 foot cable and hook my KSW-15 Klipsch sub into the stereo system. Previously the sub was only used with the TV. I hate to do this because IMO a pair of speakers (especially Klipsch's top of the line) shouldn't need a subwoofers help.

Oh well, I'll try them with the sub and see how I like that.

11.jpg

Hey what are you doing with my K-horns? Mine are so identical, I'm going to have to make sure they are still at home. I am also going to check the serial numbers to see how close the production was.

As far as bass, make sure they are pushed up tight into the corners. You can't toe these guys out. If you add the rubber strip or pipe insulation to the corner board, to ensure no air leaks it works even better.

Congrats on your find, they'll sound better and better every day. Also you don't need anywhere near that much power.

Bigbusa said.

The khorns sound fantastic ...but ...(there's always a but) the bass is lacking in my opinion. The Klipsch Cornwalls seemed to have a more powerful, belly shaking bottom end.

You have got to seal those k-horns to the walls to get the bass up to par, big difference .Three eights inch pipe insulation, you need 4 pieces 3 foot long, slide them over the tail pieces and push them tight into the corners.Worked great for me, you need no glue or stapples either, very easy tweek.