What other hobbies R U into?

BigBusa

----------------

On 10/29/2003 4:05:44 AM CO1 wrote:

PKuziel, I almost bought the D100 but it's the same as last year other than a firmware upgrade and all the comparison reviews I read pick the Canon as the sharper of the two but I honestly couldn't see the difference in the pics. My buddy is also a Nikon freak and he was pretty vocal when I went the Canon route but I never buy anything without doing a lot of research to avoid making a bad purchase. In this case I don't think there is a wrong decision if you choose a 10D or a D100.

----------------

I am not going to start a Nikon vs Cannon thing here ! LOL All B.S asside, It is not really the camera but the photographer that makes the difference. Cannon makes some wonderful camera's. I chose Nikon others chose Cannon. I think the most important thing is not the camera but the joy you get making great images with it.

Have fun

Paul

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul,

I have similar equipment (Nikon F, FE, Nikomat FTn, Leica M3 DS, Nikon S2, etc.). Mostly now, I just use my Sony DSC-S75 (truly a workhorse), rather than lugging about the heavy stuff. The Nikon digital SLR's look intruiging, but WAY too expensive for me. I even have the KSPs!

fini

----------------

On 10/29/2003 8:14:28 AM fini wrote:

Paul,

I have similar equipment (Nikon F, FE, Nikomat FTn, Leica M3 DS, Nikon S2, etc.). Mostly now, I just use my Sony DSC-S75 (truly a workhorse), rather than lugging about the heavy stuff. The Nikon digital SLR's look intruiging, but WAY too expensive for me. I even have the KSPs!

fini

----------------

Fini: Could we have been twins seperated at birth?!?!?! Heheheh I use my Nikon F-100 mostly but man does it get heavy after a while. This weekend I will be going to Orange County Choppers in NY with the Dodge Viper Club and I will be taking my wifes Nikon 4300 digital instead. I use the Leica M3's for macro photography. I have the bellows unit for them and assorted lenses. Have you seen my amature photography website? http://www.kuzielphotography.50megs.com

I must tell you that up till now the KSP's have been a joy but I had that sick knot in my stomach when I was ripping out the amp section and harness the other day. I wonder if that was one of the reasons Klipsch discontinued them ( The tech guy said that Klipsch has had their problems with the amp section in these).

----------------

On 10/29/2003 7:52:37 AM PKuziel wrote:

I think the most important thing is not the camera but the joy you get making great images with it.

Have fun

Paul

----------------

I so agree. For what it's worth, when I went shopping for a good digital camera, it came down between the Canon and Nikon. I ended up with the Canon PowerShot G3, primarily because I was able to get a better deal on it. Yeah, having good equipment is nice, but in the end it is truly ultimatly the photographer. I have seen some fantastic pictures taken with the cheap little disposables and at the same time, I have seen some truly horrible pictures taken with some expensive gear.

BTW, that picture of the roller coaster I posted above was taken by me with my G3.

----------------

On 10/29/2003 7:52:37 AM PKuziel wrote:

I am not going to start a Nikon vs Cannon thing here ! LOL All B.S asside, It is not really the camera but the photographer that makes the difference. Cannon makes some wonderful camera's. I chose Nikon others chose Cannon. I think the most important thing is not the camera but the joy you get making great images with it.

Have fun

Paul

----------------

I agree too... it's all in the user's composition and technique.

There is often more difference between the lenses from the same brand than those between brands. Although most my gear is Nikon, is see no difference between them and canon... and frequently recommend the little A60, A70, A80 digital PS Canons. Obviously if I were to chose a digital SLR, I'd go with one I can reuse my lenses... I'm just to cheap to start from scratch. 2.gif

later...

Rob.

PS: a couple of my photos at photo.net

"It is not really the camera but the photographer that makes the difference."

I disagree...the photographer make a difference to a point...let see if you can shoot me some award-winning pictures with a point-and-shoot camera...

"I am not going to start a Nikon vs Cannon thing here"

well, Canon doesn't stand a chance against Nikon...just about every Nikon lens ever existed is usable with every Nikon film SLR body ever made (including Nikon digital SLRs)...90% of the accessories made for the Nikon F-series are interchangeable within the series...the Nikon F5 is not only a highly versatile but the most accurate and perhaps the greatest automatic SLR camera ever-made...in full automatic program mode fill-flash shooting, the F5 produces pictures with the most accurate white-balance, color rendering and exposure control (combining flash with sunlight/artificial light with no flash overtone) that any Canon SLR camera can only dream of...in other words, the F5 is an expensive point-and-shoot but well worth camera...

it will be a long while for digital cameras to match the picture quality of film cameras...

just my $.02 cents...

Highlander,

How modest of you,with all the firearms you have you could become Rambo and be a one man army.And invade us up north 2.gif

My main hobby is audio...

A solid 110 grand invested in audio gear,including many subs(a sub hobby).Much more to come

Over 1400 CD's,67 DVD's(just started a few months ago).Originals NO copies

My second hobby is computers/video games(a couch potato hobby)

Four computers,icluding all Nvidia TNT and GeForce and FX based cards.All ATI AIW cards in collection too.

Over 300 computer games,from Ultima I to the leatest games(all orginals).

All the major gaming consoles with 470 plus games,from Genesis carts to latest X-Box games(again no copes,all originals)

Not a hobby but I just successfully installed a programable thermostat in my house. Quite a feat for me and my limited electrical skills considering my 41 year old thermostat had fewer wires then it was supposed to. Now I can wake to a toasty warm bedroom instead of freezing my a$$ off until the house warms up which is usually right as I am walking out the door.1.gif

----------------

On 10/29/2003 9:13:20 PM TheEAR wrote:

Over 300 computer games,from Ultima I to the leatest games(all orginals).

----------------

Ohh man, if you want to talk about games:

games.jpg

That is only one of five bookcases of the same size. I probably have well over 600 games in this place - all originals! Yes, Ultima I is included in there. If I count all the consoles from the original Atari 2600 on up to my newly aquired PS-2 and the Commodore 64 - we are talking well over 1000 games!

Now, granted, I have not bought as many in the last couple years just simply because I have been pretty busy with many other things in my life. The latest game I have is Tron 2.0.

post-3829-1381924984537_thumb.jpg

Skonopa,

Finally another game fanatic,so how did you find the Ultima legacy,I enjoyed them all.The story reached its peak IMO in Serpent Isle,the Black Gate was also one of the best RPG's EVER created.

I have all Ultima games including the one on Mars and in the jungle! 1.gif The two Underworld games by Looking Glass studios are masterpieces of gaming.

You have bookcases full,well I store all my boxes in a closet(almost too full to contain any more boxes!).All boxes,all manuals as new!

Ah gaming,the endless hours wasted.

I had the TurboGrafx 16/CD TurboDuo with over 180 games(long sold),I regret selling this collection.I would buy several games per week,each week.And finished all non RPG's often in a day or less.Passed thru a dozen controllers

Highlander,

You wish,come on down.I will send Grumpy the canadian Moose and Grosse Plame the quebecker beaver to repel your Ramboist Bushist attack.

2.gif

Nobody and I mean NOBODY takes my subs away and replaces them with an Acoustic Me$$ B0$e module.

----------------

On 10/29/2003 11:45:09 PM TheEAR wrote:

Skonopa,

Finally another game fanatic,so how did you find the Ultima legacy,I enjoyed them all.The story reached its peak IMO in Serpent Isle,the Black Gate was also one of the best RPG's EVER created.

I have all Ultima games including the one on Mars and in the jungle!
1.gif
The two Underworld games by Looking Glass studios are masterpieces of gaming.

----------------

I have loved the Ultima series. To bad Ultima 8 and 9 ended up sucking so bad. In my opinion, the series truly ended with the last expansion to 7. How I so fondly remember staying up to 4 in the morning playing Ultima III on my original IBM PC computer back in the high school days. I saw something in the gaming mags that there is talk of producing a new Underwold game. I'll have to dig that article up.

The only other RBG series that I can think that comes anywhere close are the Final Fantasy games on the consoles. I have played every one of them since the original one came out on the Nintendo NES.

----------------

You have bookcases full,well I store all my boxes in a closet(almost too full to contain any more boxes!).All boxes,all manuals as new!

----------------

Yeah, I should have also mentioned that what I could not fit in the bookcase, well - you talking about closets full?? 6.gif

I also like to keep the original boxes and manuals. Those newer, smaller boxes will mean I can fit more in a bookcase 9.gif

----------------

Ah gaming,the endless hours wasted.

----------------

Yeah, tell me about it! There are a few games that I really want to play, such as the Balder's Gate series of RPG's, but I just simply do not have the time to commit to something like that. Not to mention the online RPG's. My younger brother is big Everquest player, and he has been trying to get me play - but I just simply do not have the time to commit to that.

----------------

I had the TurboGrafx 16/CD TurboDuo with over 180 games(long sold),I regret selling this collection.I would buy several games per week,each week.And finished all non RPG's often in a day or less.Passed thru a dozen controllers

----------------

Oh how I remember that so much! There were a few darn good games for that thing. That console was way underratted - it was well ahead of it's time, although I do remember how friggan slow that CD drive was on that thing! Yeah, you should have kept that. To bad it could not stand up against the Sega Genesis and the Nintendo SuperNES in sheer marketing power. I still to this day regret selling my Atari 2600 and the 200 games I had with that thing. I am finding that some of those games I had were becoming rare collector's items. Oh well, i still have my ColecoVision and all its games. I did score an Atari 2600 adapter at a yard sale and a bunch of games, thus getting some of my collection back.

I have had just about every console except the Neo-Geo. That thing was just to friggan expensive ($600 for the console and $200/game!). The most expensive console I bought was a 3DO player for $500 (the Panasonic FZ-1).

Skonopa,

NeoGeo heh,well had that monster with four fighting games(what else)sold it too.Each game cost me over $300(Canadian that is)and at the time it was an event.All the combos and crap,today it would be worthy of a spin.I sold the console and the four games to a game collector and fanatic at almost no loss!Luck was on my side

FinalFantasy series is a classic,among the top four RPG series of all times,but to me Ultima is THE RPG serie and best,longest lasting of all times.Lord British (Richard Gariott)world is so alive and addictive I had to go thru all the Ultimas,and some I did replay a few times!Even Pagan and Ascension were quite good,yes the lack of a pary(where went Iolo and the gang!?)made it akward.

Still I enjoyed Ascension alot,Iplayed at 1280*1024 all detail and distance maxed,the game was gorgeous and after you got used to the controls ..a great game.The end was disapointing.No more Avatar,in Britania!

And when you end a series with a near fanatic following like Ultima you make sure the last is a masterpiece.In this regard it fell short.

One game that met all expectaions and then some must be X-Wing and Tie Fighter,these are two of the very best Lucas Arts games ever made and rang among the 20 best ever PC games of all time.Gameplay and story as good as they come

Yes X-wing and Tie Fighter are two of the very best PC games ever, and Tie Fighter is probably my all time favorite.

Skonopa I see you have Crusader No Remorse/No Regret in your shelf, No Remorse is a great game, ahead of its time and also one of my top favorites. I see you also have some other classics such as Outpost and Syndicate Wars.

The last few years I feel creativity in games has been shelved in favor of big beautiful graphics and sound. Too many games are Quake/Half-life clones and to find an original and really immersive game nowadays is rare 15.gif.

----------------

On 10/29/2003 7:15:35 PM the_highlander wrote:

"It is not really the camera but the photographer that makes the difference."

I disagree...the photographer make a difference to a point...let see if you can shoot me some award-winning pictures with a point-and-shoot camera...

"I am not going to start a Nikon vs Cannon thing here"

well, Canon doesn't stand a chance against Nikon...just about every Nikon lens ever existed is usable with every Nikon film SLR body ever made (including Nikon digital SLRs)...90% of the accessories made for the Nikon F-series are interchangeable within the series...the Nikon F5 is not only a highly versatile but the most accurate and perhaps the greatest automatic SLR camera ever-made...in full automatic program mode fill-flash shooting, the F5 produces pictures with the most accurate white-balance, color rendering and exposure control (combining flash with sunlight/artificial light with no flash overtone) that any Canon SLR camera can only dream of...in other words, the F5 is an expensive point-and-shoot but well worth camera...

it will be a long while for digital cameras to match the picture quality of film cameras...

just my $.02 cents...

----------------

Highlander - I'll beg to differ (not flame) on a couple of your points. Award winning is generally on two levels - composition and darkroom techniques. The better camera surely makes it easier to insure that a well composed shot will produce a reasonably good negative, but some great photos have come from very simplistic cameras.

That same point applies to your Nikon vs. Canon bit. While you may be accurate, your arguement doesn't mean (to me) 'Don't use Canon'.

Lastly, not a disagreement, but have you had a chance to see the newer digital processor photos? I haven't (I believe it is call X3 or something similar), but the technology is intriguing. The processor actually works on the same processing of individual color bands as emulsion photography with results (so they say) that approach the detail of 35 mm work.

----------------

On 10/30/2003 12:30:06 AM TheEAR wrote:

Skonopa,

NeoGeo heh,well had that monster with four fighting games(what else)sold it too.Each game cost me over $300(Canadian that is)and at the time it was an event.All the combos and crap,today it would be worthy of a spin.I sold the console and the four games to a game collector and fanatic at almost no loss!Luck was on my side

----------------

Finally, I'll get around to replying to some of this - been friggan busy as hell all day today 6.gif.

Yeah, at the time, I just simply could not stomach the asking price of the Neo-Geo - not a college budget. I was barely able to afford the SuperNES. I played with the Neo-Geo and there were quite some good games for it - but $200 a pop? I don't think so! Of course, today, through the magic of MAME, I pretty much have all of the Neo-Geo games on my PC.

----------------

FinalFantasy series is a classic,among the top four RPG series of all times,but to me Ultima is THE RPG serie and best,longest lasting of all times.Lord British (Richard Gariott)world is so alive and addictive I had to go thru all the Ultimas,and some I did replay a few times!Even Pagan and Ascension were quite good,yes the lack of a pary(where went Iolo and the gang!?)made it akward.

Still I enjoyed Ascension alot,Iplayed at 1280*1024 all detail and distance maxed,the game was gorgeous and after you got used to the controls ..a great game.The end was disapointing.No more Avatar,in Britania!

And when you end a series with a near fanatic following like Ultima you make sure the last is a masterpiece.In this regard it fell short.

----------------

I personally was not too impressed with Ultima 8 - Pagan. I just found it to be to "arcady". I also did not care for the story-line. It just seemed to go against everything that lead up to in the previous games in the series.

As for Ultima 9 - Ascention, I can never get the stupid thing to run right on my PC. I hear that once you got it going - it was actually pretty good - but all the bugs in it just killed it for me.

I definitly agree with your last statement - it did fall short of being the definitive masterpiece to end such a classic series as Ultima.

----------------

One game that met all expectaions and then some must be X-Wing and Tie Fighter,these are two of the very best Lucas Arts games ever made and rang among the 20 best ever PC games of all time.Gameplay and story as good as they come

----------------

Ahh yes - X-wing and Tie-Fighter. X-wing was one of the first games I got after getting what was truly my own PC at the time - a hotrod 486DX/33 with a mighty 4 megs of RAM, 245meg HD, and a then brand spanking new Sound Blaster 16ASP! I spent so much time playing that game - I even went and splurged on a pretty pricy ThrustMaster FCS joystick!

Also, cannot forget the Wing Commander series. I loved playing those games - especially Wing Commander 3.