What other hobbies R U into?

BigBusa

Cooking, both inside and outside. It's not too hard to cook outside and am trying to get better in the kitchen. Right now, buying different manufacturers open stock pieces to see what I like before buying a complete set. Like to shop online and B&M for new and different kitchen tools/gadgets. Also like to read periodicals like Popular Science, AutoWeek, National Geographic, etc. Gardening to some extent and looking for new Hot Wheels cars whenever I'm in a store with a toy section.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought this Canon digital SLR and a bunch of lenses so I guess I'm into photography.

10d.gif

I also have a 35mm Pentax SLR, two more digital cameras (Canon G3 & Kodak DC280) and two digital video cameras (JVC DR-DVP7U & Sony DCR-TRV720). I'm into computers and always have 3-4 at the house plus others I'm fixing or building for others. My main interest with computers revolves around HTPC's and games. I have been enjoying motorcycles and snowmobiles since I was 4 and ATV's since I was 12. Been hunting & fishing since I was 6; started out with a 410 and a 22 for rabbit and duck hunting. Now I enjoy hunting moose, caribou, black bear, rabbit and duck. I also train my own dogs for retrieving and used to prefer Black Labs but now I really love the Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, tough as hell and could care less about the cold. Fishing is usually atlantic salmon, rainbow and arctic char. I am big time into natural bodybuilding and have been at it since I was 13 which was more than twenty years ago. I am currently training a lightweight for the Canadian Nationals but he is unsure if he will compete this time around or wait until the next one so he can pack on a few more pounds. The only other thing that takes up my time right now is a work related thing. I cant really discuss my job but part of it is that Im a Defensive Tactics instructor for a prison which involves variations of aikido and jujitsu. I also teach arrest & control, pepper spray and baton. This actually takes up a lot of my time because a couple of us train all the correctional staff on an on going basis, it never ends. Moon base alpha out.....

post-3846-1381924984476_thumb.gif

The biggest thing I like to do is skiing! I have been skiing for over 22 years now and have no plans on quitting. That is pretty much all I do during the winter. When I am not skiing during the winter, I am playing with the audio gear or my computers (all 6 of 'em, running various versions of windows and linux)

During the summer, I love to hike and going swimming down in the river. This upcoming season, I am going to try to take up kayaking. The Rappahannock here in F'burg is an awesome river to learn on. I also love to camp (to bad the weather was so crappy this past summer and the river was to high to really get any good camping in). I used to like to fish, but got bored with it. Never cared about hunting. I have dabbled in R/C airplanes (which is something my dad is really big in). I am also thinking of taking up golf again. I used to do that a lot when I lived in PA, but got away from it.

I also have a couple of classic arcade games down in the game room. Would like to add a couple of pinball tables ala BigBusa. Beyond that, I'll do whatever strikes my fancy.

Oh yeah, I am also an avid roller coaster fan. I love to go to various amusment parks and check out various roller coasters.

Here is a shot of the Phoenix at Knoebels Amusment Resort in Elysburg, PA

pheonixlift.jpg

j-malotky, My 3d bow is set for 67#(Mathews Conquest3) for hunting I use 55# on my Ultramax(65% let-off) and shorten the draw from 30 1/2" to 29 1/2". I get soft sitting in my tree and I want to be sure I can pull my bow back.

BB, No I can't say the I know Jay Spencer but, I never looked for him. I will next season and intruduce myself. Tell him to look for a 6'3" 250# grey haired guy shooting a Rootbeer Mathews with camo limbs.

Tom Adams, Is that your wife telling you to get back in the house with that shirt on?

I used to be into fishing and boating big time. I had a Blackwatch26 and chased yellowfin tuna for years until my age caught up with me. Used to fish for three days without rest. At the end I had to rest for three days afer fishing for one.

Never got into flying but I fixed F101 Voodoos for Uncle Sam for a while back in the sixties.

Crashed a brand new Greaves Challenger trail bike into a tree when I was sixteen. That was the end of motorbikes for me. Gotta love the sound of a Harley though.Nothing in the world can equal it.

Used to go to Connecticut Dragway every weekend in the sixties. At least you got to watch the AA fuelies for seven seconds. Under five now HORSEPOWER!!!!!

I also garden and am, now that I have the time, getting back into electronics. Oh yea, I also bought a new guitar and my blues harp is sitting at my computer desk.

Seems we all have more in common than differences.

Rick

CO1: Coolness. I am thinking about getting the digital Rebel, the price is pushing it, so no 10D for me...

hwatkins: I love Bimmers, except, seeing how much my friends E30 318is costs to fix, I am scared. However, I want a new 545i with a 6-speed, maybe the SMG. I want to see the new M5. V10 and ~500 HP. Should be 'fun'

Hmm,

There is music, playing my guitar's and electric basses.

I currently have,

Taylor 310 acoustic guitar

Godin A4 Fretless bass

Fender Jazz Bazz, 1970's american, w/ seymour duncan active pickups

Fender American Tele Plus Electric guitar, from 1991 w/ bookmatched ash body w/ tobbacco sunburst finish

Yanaha RB-360 electric bass, for sale

Other things that hold my interest include computer graphics and web design(what I'm going to school for).

Cars, musclecars and imports, there are a couple of local car clubs I hang out with from time to time.

Movies, I see a movie every week at a 75 cent theatre, the regular theatre's are just too expensive.

Arcade/video games, not enough time to spend on these.

I have to many things I enjoy to be able to do them all on my budget and schedule.

Peace, Josh

hwatkins you have the game that turned me into a pinball junkie! A neighbor I used to dog-sit for had a skyjump in his kitchen. I played it a lot! That was around 1976-1979 I think.

The game was made in 1974. 4200 of them were made and they are valued at $525 in the 2003 pinball priceguide. Free fall was the add a ball version of sky jump. Only 650 of those were made. Here's a picture.

Backglass.jpg

If you ever decide to sell the game I'd be interested in buying it.

My SkyJump is one of the very early models - I'll post my B&W pic that was part of an award winning showing of my wife's that was centered on the games people play. We have had this machine since 1981.

It is in need of a tune up - I will be looking to replace one flipper's capacitor and probably replace all the rubber bumper pads - one broke just the other day. This machine is well used and a decade of kids has keept it active.

The pool table/games room may well turn in to a mostly dedicated bar/music room, so my beloved games may have to go in a year or so (I am finalizing my three way speaker plans and will start collecting gear).

As to Bimmers - I really never thought I would be a big Bimmer fan, but the cars I own have turned out to be very reliable, capable of running well through high mileage and generally fun to drive. I have taken the Z3 about as far as I can go with out a suspension change out. If I have to move up in power and class I will probably look for a mid 90s Porsche 911 (stock) that is a good candidate for performance diddling.

One last bit - our friend Shawn Fogg is a pretty darn decent shade tree car guy - He has (at least) a very peppy 1.9 Z3 - supercharged if I remember correctly - and I had the good fortune to run into him on a car enthusiast board well before he joined this horny bunch of folks...

----------------

On 10/27/2003 12:51:59 PM kenratboy wrote:

Petting our cat (he is just so soft)

----------------

why does that just not sound right? 11.gif9.gif

for me it would be :

Antique cars (mostly early 60's)

Photography (mostly B&W urban industrial)

Music & Film

Gun control (ok... I just felt like raising some dust 3.gif)

Softball/baseball if my first love (outside my dear wife, of course!). Play softball about 4 times a week in the summer, and am in several roto/Strat O Matic leagues. Play Squash in the winter, although the growing influence of using super soft/slow balls is trying my patience as it plays against what used to be my strong suits in the sport.

Red Sox fan, let's leave it that for the moment. Another "memorable" year. plheet.

Love driving my WRX in all kinds of weather on all kinds of roads. Would like to race but my wife doesn't seem to keen on the idea.

Am a professional cartographer/GIS technician and am seriously considering starting my own business. Always have loved maps and am a history, political science buff. Particularly interested in the 1900-1945 era.

Volley was the first pinball game I got hooked on. 2 plays for a quarter at the 7-11. Got to the point where I could play for close to an hour on a quarter, much to the chagrin of the other kids. Seems like it's impossible to actually "click" any of the modern pinball games. They pretty much made the scores impossible.

I have "Grand Slam" in my dad's basement. We got that when I was about 12. Most of the things on it don't work anymore, but I still play it from time to time.

photography...I am still a part-time photographer...

11 Nikon film SLRs, 17 lens, 5 flashes...

2 Nikon digital SLRs, 5 lens, 2 flashes...

3 Hasselblads, 7 lens, 3 flashes...

2 4X5 view cameras, 5 lens...

5 studio lights, 7 backgrounds, 3 enlargers, 2 processors...

I also collect firearms...

12 pistols...

7 rifles...

5 shotguns...

3 semi-machines...

and sport cars...

2 Corvette Stingrays...

1 Viper...

1 Porsch Carrera...

1 Lamborghini Countach...

1 Ferrari Testarossa...

someday I will add the F50 to my collection...

and last but not least...computers...I build PCs in my spare time...

15 custom built PCs and servers...

12 Sun workstations and servers...

these are a few of my hobbies 1.gif...

Hwatkins I PM'ed you about the game but didn't get a response. I don't have good luck with the klipsch pm system. If the playfield isn't severly worn I'd be interested in it. If you ever decide to sell her give me a shout.

IF you have a digital camera I'd like to see a pic of it too.

don_ny_@hotmail.com

let's see..riding motorcycles..dirt bikes mostly, have a Yam YZ490 and a everyday rider Hon XR400..have owned Yam 125/360s/YZ400/YZ645..a Kaw 250 thrown in the mix..and a new 88 HD 1200 Sportster Deluxe at one time, but we only have 5 miles of paved roads here..so guess the Motocrossers win..I rebuild engines, both small and large..have done many Chev small blocks, Jeep 6's etc. Tinkering in the shop is most relaxing!

Music is my most intense hobby, 1900 CDs 800+ LPs, swapping equipment regularily (with exception of my 83 KHorns)

Love my job of 27 years, Alaska Airlines, so actually consider THAT a hobby, aviation buff.

Don, I used to own 3 pinball machines..had "Big House" which was my fave, "Strikes and Spares", and another one , though the name eludes me at the time. Must be due to my other hobby, beer tasting.

Snowmachining is another favorite..never run outta things to do!

Steve

PKuziel, I almost bought the D100 but it's the same as last year other than a firmware upgrade and all the comparison reviews I read pick the Canon as the sharper of the two but I honestly couldn't see the difference in the pics. My buddy is also a Nikon freak and he was pretty vocal when I went the Canon route but I never buy anything without doing a lot of research to avoid making a bad purchase. In this case I don't think there is a wrong decision if you choose a 10D or a D100.