Dean and I need advise

NOSValves

Dean and I were talking tonight about adding another service offering and were wondering what everyone here thinks. Were wondering if cosmetic restoration service would be something most customers might think they would like offered. Dean is exceptional as this type of work. Maybe he can post up the Picture of the 299A he did that I sold him in fact there in a thread here on the forum somewhere. I was amazed when I seen them. We were kicking around pricing and it would add a extra shipping leg to the process but were only one day apart and about $10 shipping for the extra ride.

Let us know what you all think ?

Craig

Man I remember that amp it was the cleanest, shinnyest scott I ever seen. How he ever got it that clean is beyond me.I cant get mine half that shinny.If I was having another scott restored I would send it to him for a clean up.About how much for the detail job on a tube amp DEANG?Its bound to take hours of work.I SAY GO FOR IT.

I myself am thinking about building a few extra scott cabinets and putting them up for sale. Mine turned out perty good for a woodworking beginer.I am going to get a digital camera for christmass so I will be able to post some pictures of it.

"I would think it would be great to see you two talk to each other rather than about each other."

Oh gosh that's funny. He thinks I'm Jazzman.9.gif

Here's the deal. I currently work 64 hours a week. I do a normal 40 hours, and then work a second job on the weekends. Basically, I do two 12 hour shifts on both Saturday and Sunday, and I've been doing this for almost three years. It's not demanding work -- I help run a Network Control Center, which basically involves monitoring and putting out fires. I figure if I'm going to work 24 hours on the weekends, I mind as well do something I like doing.

I'm good at making things "presentable", and I started with firearms about 20 years ago. When I bought my first Scott, I decided to do my thing to it -- and it worked out pretty good. It's not hard, just time consuming and tedious. However, I enjoy seeing the end result. Craig loves fixing these things up, but really has no interest in the cosmetic end of things unless it's attached to the chassis -- but that's a different kind of art all it's own.

It pretty much takes a whole day to do one, and when I'm done my hands are pretty sore -- so I figure a $100 is a fair price.

There will be some other things coming down the road that we are fairly excited about. As things develop and come to fruitation -- I will leave it to Craig to make the announcements.

I probably won't get much interest, but I'm also willing to mod crossovers for the RF-7. Believe me, I've got it down. I'm working on a prototype right now that I'm hoping will be "plug and play". It will probably take me another month to get it so the average user can make the change with minimul effort. Capacitors will be Relcap PPT Thetas and ICW Clarity Caps. Mills resistors and Jantzen inductors will complete the boards. Does it sound good? You betcha.

I imagine this will void the warranty, but I do test all of my parts before I use them, and they are some of the best parts in the industry. Please don't ask me to reveal values or specifics regarding the circuit. I say this because the RF-7 is still a current production model, and I don't feel like being horse-whipped by Klipsch. I'm primarily offering this service because of my pure love for this speaker, and I sure don't expect to build a retirement fund from this. The former should be obvious to most -- since I've spent the last three years beating back the Heritage Hoard almost single-handedly. It's no secret that I'm a RF-7 freak.

Sure, Craig and me look forward to making some money together -- but the real driving force behind this is our desire to make Klipsch based systems sound and look the best they possibly can.

I think it is a great idea. Any broadening of services is a good thing. I do not know about others but is is hard to find people you can trust anymore and I know you two have a reputation to uphold. However light that reputation might be.9.gif

I mow my own yard, which is rare in my neighorhood Why, because I do a better job and like to see the finished product. Similiar to your feelings Dean although a bit different.

I almost bought the RF-7's but this Forum convinced me to buy the Cornwalls. HOw about a crossover mod for them?

I think it is a great idea, especially if you make it transparent to the client, a two step process managed internally between you two. I do think that max value would be added besdies polishing by trying to find knobs, cabs, bulbs, meters and switches to restore units that lack that type fo stuff. I always see older units on e-bay that are missing a switch or knob, or would look best in a cabinet. A littel effort to identify sources for this type of stuff and include it in your rebuild-restore option would be the greatest! regards, tony

Somewhere out here is pretty detailed post on how I do this, but be darned if I can find it.

I wish I had a "before" picture of this thing, as the chassis was pretty rough. You'll notice that there is no cure for pitting -- once the metal is gone -- it's gone.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=28885&

post-3205-13819250093792_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Dean,

All I have to say is WOW!!! the finished product looks great. I plan on having a couple units shipped to craig in the next couple weeks, I will make sure to request your service.

Thanks in advance10.gif

Smilin

Dean,

I have an MC240 that needs a good cleaning. I got it started and did a light overall cleaning but finally gave up and just hooked it up. It has all the lettering but is just plain dirty. This baby could look like new with the right attention.

Would you consider doing this kind of work also? I know it leaves Craig out of the picture but I think he's got his hands full lately anyway.2.gif

As far as charging, I think you probably should do this on a case by case basis. You know some will be much worse than others. I would kiss your feet if you got my 240 sparkling for $100.13.gif

Thanks bk -- yeah, that's the thread. Keep in mind this is only for the Scotts and Fishers. Something with a chrome chassis wouldn't be done like this.

I look at it like this: If I can get it done wth an afternoons worth of work -- a $100 is good. Now, if I have to go until 2 o'clock in the morning, and end up going through $100 worth of material to get it done -- it should be more. I would think something would have to be really bad to take longer than an afternoon. Near hopeless cases will be discussed before work begins. Seriously, just think of it like having your car detailed, you pretty much do them all the same. Now, if you want 8 coats high gloss on your transformers -- uh, that's gonna cost a little more. I hear Craig loves painting stuff!

Whatever you got, just send it. Maybe I'll just line everything up in the garage and sandblast them all at once.9.gif