Dean and I need advise

NOSValves

I enjoy cleaning my own gear so I'd pass on the service. However, I do think there are plenty of folks who would love nothing more than to send a crapped out 299 scott to craig for updating and then to dean for cleaning ...and then back to their home ...brand new looking and operating vintage piece.

6.gif How sweet it is!

dean you must go through oodles of 000 steel wool!2.gif

GO FOR IT!!!!

Some months ago I purchased and enjoyed the heck out of a 299B that Craig had rebuilt for Dean and Dean's work cleaning up that amp was impressive. I have also done a little cleaning work on other vintage amps and know that it is quite a bit of work. Dean turns those things into show pieces. When something sounds good AND looks good, it is alot more fun to show to your buddies.

One thing I was wondering, Craig, from a rebuilder's perspective, would it be better to have Dean clean it up before rebuilding?

----------------

On 11/14/2003 7:24:13 PM DaddyDee wrote:

One thing I was wondering, Craig, from a rebuilder's perspective, would it be better to have Dean clean it up before rebuilding?
--------------

That's like having the car professional detailed before you drop in the freshly rebuilt motor don't you think?

Jeff

Dean,

I'de be interested in your Rf7 crossover mods, I remember reading about them on another thread but forgot what you said the end result was. I'm moving cross country shortly and don't have an address but will likely be interested in this at the beginning of the year once I have a new address - somewhere in Connecticut, where I'm told real estate prices are cheap.

I said, "I would think it would be great to see you two talk to each other rather than about each other."

Dean said,"Oh gosh that's funny. He thinks I'm Jazzman."

Sorry Dean, I was actually thinking of Ryan.

As further proof of my confusion, I was about to fuss at you for not cleaning up the 299 I bought from you but after checking, It was Chad Miller I got it from. Must be "oldstimers" setting in.

----------------

On 11/14/2003 2:57:04 PM garymd wrote:

I would kiss your feet if you got my 240 sparkling for $100.
13.gif

----------------

Gary,

If you film this, we could market the tape on the internet to foot fetish folks. Now we're talkin' real dough. I knew I'd be able to help, somehow!

fini

While $100 might seem like a hefty sum of the initial investment, this would be worth the trouble to get an aesthetically pleasing piece of gear, something that has always been important in my view. And the headache involved can be daunting depending on the amp.

When I got my first EICO, I spent from almost non=stop 7pm till 4am cleaning, polishing, and prepping for painting, which I did at 8am after sleeping a few hours. And this was just the panels and brass plate! During the whole time, I had the nude chassis playing in the background, resting on four Navcom pucks; it sounded amazing and fueled my desire to get it looking as nice as I could (I never even tackled the chassis top).

eico_front_750.jpg

This strikes me as a good deal for a service that does require endless elbow grease and perseverance, with attention to detail. Having the right supplies can make all the difference in the World. In the end, it's worth the effort as you can enjoying looking at your amp while listening, something that has always added to the "tube experience."

I was sent all the pictures of Dean's first Scott and can attest to the fine attention to detail and the luster of the work. I actually might have some before and after shots since pics of a few of the original amps were sent me way as well. Perhaps I will dig them up.

$100 is a fair price for the labor involved depending on the condition, with some being better than others. A unit in poor condition really does need some elbow grease and care, and after a few hours, one sometimes wish he could bring perfection with a snap of the fingers.

I imagine more than a few might be interested in the service. Having it done prior to getting repairs strikes me as the way to go as the mechanicals, ultimately the most important aspect, will be done last with the assurance of a working sample.

Good luck on the venture.

kh

scott_299b.jpg

In my opinion, $100 is too little for this type of work involved. Obviously it would be more depending on the piece's condition, but I think it is absolutely worth it! I hate when others finger-f#@& my components...nothing worse than oily smudges all over the faceplates and sides. So if Dean preserved any of my precious gear, I'd have to kill the next person who touches my stuff; no and's, if's, or butt's 'bout it!

By all means Dean, if you have the time and the desire to tackle this kind of attention to detail to preserve the dignity of a piece, then just do it!

PS - Kelly, great job, man!