Klipschorns! Klipschorns! Klipschorns! Ours!

Erik Mandaville

I've wanted a pair of these for years, and 6 hours of driving later they are in the garage! I did two round trips in my Subaru baja, and the bass bins (1 at a time) fit perfect in the back with the tailgate down.

Marie again says thanks for all the generous help we got with ideas, suggestions, etc. Looks like the long wall is going to be the way to go, and is a bit shorter than the previous dimension provided. At that position, they will point straight at the listening position.

The sellers were the nicest people, and we spent lots of time talking about totally non-audio things.

Anyway, I'll share how things go. DIY amps are not the easiest to sell, I've discovered. JFL established a faithful following, which is something to respect. Not easy to do.

Erik

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erik,

Congratulations on your new Khorns! You will appreciate them all the more given the effort you put out to get them home. BTW, you should give both the Moondogs and JFLs a spin as one of the amps may really outshine the other in your new set up. Certainly they'll sound different running Khorns. Let us know your impressions.

Have fun -Bryan

Danke!

Well, it's pouring rain here. I'll get all the information for those interested tomorrow. These are 80s horns, with metal midhorn and tweeter -- which is what I wanted. They are just neater to me than composite plastic stuff, and if needed I have lots of plasticine clay for damping. Marie and I both like a very jumpy, lively sound, and the metal horns could be perfect. Networks are AAs, and are very clean. I think the oil capacitors in this application could be ideal, but we'll just have to see. Any changes will happen slowly...

The speakers were originally nataral birch, which is the color that I always wanted. But who cares! John's (the seller) mom -- stained them a walnut brown, which we are going to remove tomorrow. We did a small, hidden test to see what the color would be like stripped of the stain and original clear coat -- and it looks great. The grain shows up much more, too. I want to have them completed before Thanksgiving.

I have a question for you K-horn pros: Should I remove the woofer from the motorboard before stripper application? My concern is that fumes may loosen the pleated surround on the driver. It is sealed inside, but I thought it might be better to take the woofer out. Only the large front area of the bass bin is stained, so any suggestions or thoughts about leaving the driver where it is? The tweeter, midrange, and crossover will be taken out for the top section, though.

Honestly, these speakers are much easier to move around than the one-piece La Scalas were. Marie and I could lift the bass cabs with no problem at all.

I would sincerely appreciate any help or ideas at all!

Erik

Erik,

Congradulations on your very fine taste in loudspeakers. AAs, metal horns they should(scratch that) will sound fantastic with your Horuses. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick

PS: We really do need pictures of your new twins. The rest of us here are like the proud grandparents in another state.