Klipschorns! Klipschorns! Klipschorns! Ours!

Erik Mandaville

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erik, Congratulations. I am sure you will enjoy your new Klipschorns. They will most likely be your last speakers. I too will be interested in which amps you decide to keep once auditioned with the k-horns. let us know how they sound once in place and hooked up. tony

I'll join Jim as another jealous non-khorn owner with my congratulations. I hope they are everything you hoped for. Some day I hope to join the club. In the meantime I'll just suffer with my other 3 or 4 pair of klipsch speakers.9.gif I'm happy to hear your wife is just as enthusiastic with your new purchase as you are. You are truely blessed.12.gif

hmm,

I bought my khorns new and unfinished, 1979, so very close to yours.

Didn't remove the woofer when staining or finishing. I don't think that many fumes will travel through the W fold to the woofer.

I only stained the front part (plus the plywood's sides) as these are the only parts visible with the grills on. What exactly are you thinking of doing?

Live with the horns for a few months (years) before putting them under the knife. There are only three tweaks that I made that I kept: stuffing the bass bin 1/2 full of insulation, changing the AA to an A (via a couple snips and a quick solder job), and caulking the tweeter/squawker horns. All were reversible, which I highly recommend for any tweaking. There was a dude here that covered his squawker horns with cement.... ultimate damping I guess. What if he didn't like it? Got a cold chisel?

Oh, I put some felt strips between the top and bottom parts and cranked the screws down. Any mechanical vibrations would be reduced that way. And I guess I did put some weather stripping on the vertical board in the rear to mate to the wall better; and foam tape on the horizontal base of the top cabinet to seggreate the two. I don't think they did much but I left them there as innocent enough.

Have fun,

Thanks for that great help, Randy. I agree about the tweaking issue, completely. All the drivers (except the woofer)are out of the cabinets, and we are stripping the finish later this morning. I've never had the opportunity to see the internal folding of the bass bins, but have found that leaving the driver in should be completely fine. I have replaced the surrounds on speakers a few times, and it's not a very enjoyable or necessarily easy thing to get right. I was worried that the fumes of the stripping compound might soften the glue used to attach to surround to the driver frame. It looks like it will be fine, though.

Great advice! Thanks,

Erik

Erik, Congratulations Twice!

You and Marie are so lucky, First you get your wonderful K Horns, with WAF, and then your lucky enough to have neat Neighbors to purchase your LaScala's......without having to tote them to a shipper ......... Best of Luck with you sale!

Thanks all!

The person who purchased my La Scalas actually wasn't our immediate neighbor, but lives pretty close. Very, very nice person, too, and very much liked the sound of the La Scalas. He took them home with him, along with a pair of AA networks I also gave him. Also! He loved the sound of Horus with the La Scalas, and asked about tube amps -- he has a good solid state amp. When the K-horns are done, I want to invite him over for maybe lunch and some music listening.

Have good afternoon!

Erik

It was honestly kind of sad seeing them go (not so easily) out the door, but the buyer was exactly the kind of person I was hoping might like them. There were some minor cosmetic issues, which made me also think twice before I bought them a year ago. But they just sounded so good it didn't matter, and a little work could make them better.

LOL, Tom:

We went to Walmart today, and found one for about $70. It was so light, platic-y, and cheap that we just didn't go for it. There was a nice Canon, with good Macro specs, but was $200. There just isn't room in the piggy bank for that right now -- this close to the holidays, with little nieces and nephews expecting Santa! And of course there is Kiko, the little fella with bad hips. So, I think what I'll do for the time being is take some pics with my manual Nikon and have a picture CD made.

Marie and I have done 4 coats of stripping on the K-horns, and think they look really nice. Those big flat panels are easy to clean up, and it should go quickly when you get around to doing that on yours! I love those wooded mid-horns, Tom!

Erik