Ear your Driver has arrived (SunFire, eat your heart out!!)

InnovaZero

TV,

Keep them comming,Tom I will place a nice order at SVS.So far I looking at your site each day to see if anything new comes out.

The PB2-Ultra and B4-Plus are sure buys.I will wait as far as May-June 2004 and then order the best box sub you have to offer.

9.gif

Come on Tom prepare a killer sub using 12" woofer for me and other sub humans out there.1.gif

I cannot help myself

And BTW the superb Paradigm Signature top of the line towers($7700/par)finished in gloss bird eye maple just arrived at my Klipsch/Paradigm/Sunfire dealer.9.gif These are GORGEOUS,soon the Signature 2500 sub will arrive too.

You must see the ubber Signature center channel speakers...WOW.At almost 4 grand its quite a center.

I am getting a whole Signature kit as well as a few SVS next year.Too tasty

tom,

are you guys going to include floor anchors for that??? can't imagine what a driver like that would do if it was in a lightweight enclosure.

hmmm...maybe you could put it in a PB2 box,

align the ports so they are facing down,

install removable filter bags behind the ports,

then sell it as a sub that also scoots around your floor and vaccuums while you enjoy a movie/music! 2.gif

the "subbcuum"

patent pending3.gif

Tom, I have a marketing question for you.

Obviously, companies need to come out with better products to stay on top of things. However, you are coming out with drool-worthy product after drool-worthy product, how are you balancing things so people don't feel like they are getting screwed over when they buy one sub, and next week, something new and better comes out? It's OK with computers, but do people expect your flagship sub to be THE flagship for a year or so? To that extent, would people pass up the flagship product and get the one below it so they don't loose the status of having 'THE' SVS? For example, if Bob wanted to buy the B4-Plus, but thought the B4-Ultra was coming in a month or so, might he hold off or just buy the PB2-Ultra instead? See what I am getting at?

Reguardless, if that BEAST makes it into a subwoofer, you win.

----------------

On 11/18/2003 11:36:58 PM Manuel Delaflor wrote:

WOW, what's the displacement of that thing????

----------------

Hmm if we take the surface area of a Stryke AV-12 with 42,5mm of Xmax, this is about 4,23L of air displacment. If we take the surface area of the Adire Sadhara 12 with 42,5mm of Xmax, this is about 3,71L of air displacment. By looking at the cone of that woofer, it seems to have a bigger surface area than the Sadhara but more similar to the AV-12. So a good guess for its air displacement would be between 4 and 4,5L at the most. But 4,5L is a bit optimist IMHO.

Phew!!! I was a bit affraid that it could displace more air than the Tumult! 1.gif I was so impressed to see that woofer at first and Im still impressed again! 6.gif But I dont know... I feel just less worried now because I know the Tumult woofer can displace more air! 9.gif11.gif

Re-displacement,

first, judging performance solely on displacement is like saying car A has a 500 cu-in engine and car B has a 454 cu-in engine...so car A *must* be better. If you have two drivers and one has 4L of displacement and the other has 1L, yup...it is almost certain the subwoofer with 4L will extend lower and play cleaner(but still not 100% certain). But when you are talking about a driver that might have 3.5L compared to 4L...I wouldn't make many assumptions about which is going to work better based only on that. You can look at some of the distortion data that is available of the *big* displacement drivers now and see they aren't doing anything that much better than good drivers have been doing for years...

Second, once you have the motor tweaked to your liking, and some other general parameters decided...you can use the motor in 15s and even 18s if you want. Figure 4" excursion in an 18" cone with the high profile surround if you are looking for maximum displacement potential of this motor.

Third, TC Sounds is using the new high profile surround on this driver. This allows more excursion without using up near the cone area a conventional surround would use.

Tom V.

SVS

----------------

On 11/20/2003 10:46:52 AM TVodhanel wrote:

Re-displacement,

first, judging performance solely on displacement is like saying car A has a 500 cu-in engine and car B has a 454 cu-in engine...so car A *must* be better. If you have two drivers and one has 4L of displacement and the other has 1L, yup...it is almost certain the subwoofer with 4L will extend lower and play cleaner(but still not 100% certain). But when you are talking about a driver that might have 3.5L compared to 4L...I wouldn't make many assumptions about which is going to work better based only on that. You can look at some of the distortion data that is available of the *big* displacement drivers now and see they aren't doing anything that much better than good drivers have been doing for years...

Second, once you have the motor tweaked to your liking, and some other general parameters decided...you can use the motor in 15s and even 18s if you want. Figure 4" excursion in an 18" cone with the high profile surround if you are looking for maximum displacement potential of this motor.

Third, TC Sounds is using the new high profile surround on this driver. This allows more excursion without using up near the cone area a conventional surround would use.

Tom V.

SVS

----------------

The problem is the distortion data isn't readily available and most people don't have the equipment or know how to do measurements themselves.