SACD Purchase

garymd

Yesterday I purchased a used Sony SCD-C555ES SACD player. I only own 2 SACDs (DSOTM and Telarc's 1812 Overature). I haven't used it upstairs yet but did hook it up downstairs.

So far I'm most impressed with the quality of the non-SACD CDs. DSOTM was nice but wasn't a huge improvement, same with 1812. I did find the non-SACDs to really sound better than my old player. The real test is when I bring it upstairs with my scott/cornwalls.

Any must-haves? I'm looking for recommendations.

I'll give a better review after I hear it on my better system. I say better because until I get the right woofers in my altecs, there are issues. I may have one new woofer very soon.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised at your results. What kind of music do you like?

The best SACD classical recordings across the board are on the Channel Classics label and the Pentatone label. Pentatone is distributed by Telarc in the US, but Channel Classics you'd probably have to order online.

I received Mahler Sym. No. 2 Kaplan/Vienna Philharmonic yesterday, and it is a mind-boggling performance and recording. Mahler No. 6 on Telarc is also practically perfect. This piece is not for the timid and no low-watt amps need apply.

If you want some '60s music, I got Donovan's Storyteller SACD yesterday too, and it is the best these recordings have ever sounded.

The Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed hybrids are excellent. All the newly remastered Bob Dylan SACD/CD hybrids are excellent. Possibly most improved is Bringing It All Back Home. You could also check out Oh Mercy. You can pick these up easy as pie at Best Buy or Circuit City.

Miles Davis In A Silent Way is excellent, particularly the multi channel layer. The multi channel layer is made from the original tape recording, instead of a mixed-down master, and eliminates an almost unbelievable amount of hiss. Not noise reduction, just from using a far superior source. I have *never* heard this big of a difference before.

There are so many *excellent* recordings on SACD, you'd have to have a lot of disposable income to buy them all.

I really shouldn't have reviewed it yet. I'll wait until I bring it upstairs where my system is more comparable to most of yours.

Everything sounded better. Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderly, Norah Jones, The Doobie Bros., Buddy Rich, James Taylor, etc. It's just a better player than my other POS.

This originally retailed for $1700. Later, sony dropped it to $800 to move them out but most websites/reviews still show the $1700 retail. I bought it from a coworker of my wifes who just upgraded to the 777ES ($2600 retail). This one only does CDs and SACDs. Nothing else. It's built well (25lbs) and has a 5 cd changer. The reviews say it's one of the only changers worth owning.

I won't tell you what I paid but there's one on Audiogon right now for $600. One review I read said if you can get one for under $700, jump on it. I got lucky and got a great deal.

Gary,

I'm glad that you are enjoying the 555ES SACD/CD player. Some of my favorite SACDs are:

Blood, Sweat & Tears - "Self-Titled" 2nd LP

Carole King - "Tapestry" Original Stereo Only SACD

Santana - "Caravanserai" Japanese SACD

Santana - "Abraxas"

Jeff Beck - "Blow By Blow"

Rolling Stones - "Beggar's Banquet"

Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Couldn't Stand The Weather"

The Zombies - "Greatest Hits"

Miles Davis - "In A Silent Way"/"Jack Johnson" Japanese SACD

Deep Purple - "Machine Head" Import SACD

T. Rex - "Electric Warrior" Import SACD

Mike Oldfield - "Tubular Bells" Import SACD

Billy Joel - "The Stranger"

Ed Hurdle

HeavyDistortion

----------------

On 11/18/2003 10:18:53 AM garymd wrote:

Yesterday I purchased a used Sony SCD-C555ES SACD player. I only own 2 SACDs (DSOTM and Telarc's 1812 Overature). I haven't used it upstairs yet but did hook it up downstairs.

So far I'm most impressed with the quality of the non-SACD CDs. DSOTM was nice but wasn't a huge improvement, same with 1812. I did find the non-SACDs to really sound better than my old player. The real test is when I bring it upstairs with my scott/cornwalls.

I'll give a better review after I hear it on my better system. I say better because until I get the right woofers in my altecs, there are issues. I may have one new woofer very soon.----------------

Gary,

I recently bought a store demo (Magnolia) Sony SCD-C222ES SACD player. I totally agree in regards to regular cd playback improvement. I have about 18 SACD's and almost every one sounds very nice. For me, it's about 95% of what I get out of vinyl, with regular cd being about 80%. So far, SACD appears to be something I can completely live with. So much so in fact, I have greatly slowed down my vinyl purchases and I'm concentrating on looking for SACD's. The only problem being the dearth of titles available.

My buddy joshnich was the person who recommended the 222 to me and currently has his unit at sacdmods.com for some upgrading. I'm sure he'll let us know his impressions when he gets it back. BTW, I received a reply from sacdmods.com regarding some mod questions and while he mentioned that the 222 was a great unit and would benefit greatly from his mods (big surprise), he specifically mentioned the 555 as being a monster player after his treatment.

As far as what albums sound good to me...

Dvorak, nos. 8 & 9 - George Szell

Debussy, Poulenc, Saint-Saens - Midori (violin)

Chopin, Etudes Ops 10, 25 - Perahia (piano)

AKUS, Live

George Strait, Honkeytonkville

Steely Dan, Gaucho

among others....

Regards,

Chris

PS THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the GD tape. I received it last week and now all I have to do is re-hookup my cassette player to my system. I have some thing in the mail for you. Thanks again.

----------------

On 11/18/2003 1:06:12 PM ChrisK wrote:

----------------

On 11/18/2003 10:18:53 AM garymd wrote:

I'll give a better review after I hear it on my better system. I say better because until I get the right woofers in my altecs, there are issues. I may have one new woofer very soon.----------------

Gary,

I recently bought a store demo (Magnolia) Sony SCD-C222ES SACD player. I totally agree in regards to regular cd playback improvement. I have about 18 SACD's and almost every one sounds very nice. For me, it's about 95% of what I get out of vinyl, with regular cd being about 80%. So far, SACD appears to be something I can completely live with. So much so in fact, I have greatly slowed down my vinyl purchases and I'm concentrating on looking for SACD's. The only problem being the dearth of titles available.

My buddy joshnich was the person who recommended the 222 to me and currently has his unit at sacdmods.com for some upgrading. I'm sure he'll let us know his impressions when he gets it back. BTW, I received a reply from sacdmods.com regarding some mod questions and while he mentioned that the 222 was a great unit and would benefit greatly from his mods (big surprise), he specifically mentioned the 555 as being a monster player after his treatment.

As far as what albums sound good to me...

Dvorak, nos. 8 & 9 - George Szell

Debussy, Poulenc, Saint-Saens - Midori (violin)

Chopin, Etudes Ops 10, 25 - Perahia (piano)

AKUS, Live

George Strait, Honkeytonkville

Steely Dan, Gaucho

among others....

Regards,

Chris

PS THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the GD tape. I received it last week and now all I have to do is re-hookup my cassette player to my system. I have some thing in the mail for you. Thanks again.

----------------

Chris,

No casstte in the car? Trust me when I say it'll sound much better there.6.gif You know how some of those old recordings are. I love the harmonies from that era though. Mark1101 just sent me a couple DPs (24 & 25). 24 is from '74 and I really love that show. I still think '77 was their best year but I've listened to so much from that time frame it's nice to hear something different.

Ed,

I want to give you an official welcome to the forum. I know you've been lurking for some time now. It's time to join in with the rest of us lunatics.

"Right now Steely Dan's "Royal Scam" (regular CD) sounds pretty amazing. More detail then I've ever heard before."

Gary,

What version of "Royal Scam" did you listen to? It's been remastered several times, and to my ears the original MCA (Manufactured in Japan) CD is the smoothest, warmest sounding version of "Royal Scam". I've got the original MCA CDs of all of the Steely Dan titles, except for "Pretzel Logic" and "Gaucho", and they do sound awesome with tubes through Cornwalls. FYI, the original Steely Dan CDs were mastered by Roger Nichols directly from the original master tapes, with no added EQ and/or compression, which from what I understand, was used on the later remastered CDs. Also, Steve Hoffman of DCC fame, also mastered the very early versions of both "Katy Lied" and "Aja" for MCA, and they sound just as good, if not better than the Nichols' CDs.

Ed Hurdle

HeavyDistortion

Ed,

Royal Scam is the only new SD CD I own. All the others I purchased many years ago. I'll have to check but I don't think this was a remastered copy, at least it didn't say so on the CD.

BTW - I checked my Mars Hotel CD we discussed and it is the 1989 silver version.