Cheapest place to buy RF-7

sonyguy

underhanded penguin I'm not being a jackass! I'm trying to get to the bottom of this mystery.

Does klipsch sell huge batches of excess surplus speakers to web merchants (who promise to remove the serial numbers) for super low prices and then refuse to warrantee them? How else could these web merchants get the klipsch speakers cheap enough to sell them for such huge discounts?

We know there aren't klipsch clones so these discounted speakers in unopened klipsch boxes had to come from klipsch.

If they came from klipsch why won't klipsch warrantee them? Because they were sold at such discounts? But how could they be sold for such huge discounts by the web merchants if klipsch themselves didn't sell them to the web merchants for huge discounts?

My klipsch ksw15 and klf-c7 that I bought from buy.com new in unopened klipsch boxes for $275 each both have their serial numbers intact.

I'm seriously trying to get to the bottom of this.

BigB - These grey market speakers are often acquired from authorized Klipsch dealers. Why? Because of a few possible reasons.

1) The authorized dealers get SPIFs/rebates/awards/whatever you want to call them based on the amount of product they buy. If they can buy more, and then sell the excess to a gray market distributor, they get more SPIFs.

2) Larger purchase quantities can translate to better discounts from the manufacturer. See #1.

3) Inventory can cause cash flow problems, so a dealer might dump inventory to a grey market to get some quick cash.

In all cases, it is very possible you are acquiring genuine, unopened Klipsch product with intact serial numbers. The reason serial numbers are altered is to prevent the manufacturer from tracing the product back to the dealer who may be violating their dealership agreement.

And, m00n, you raise a good question. Why not have a good on-line dealer like One Call? They are knowledgeable, competitive, and could provide product to places that the B&M stores don't.

DD

DougDrake,

Klipsch does have a few online dealers, although I don't think any of them carry the upper-line models. When I last spoke with a representative from Klipsch, they had around 3-4 dealers.

The nice thing about having a brick/mortar store operation is evident-the customer can listen to the product. If Klipsch were to authorize online dealers, the margins of the brick/mortar storefront operations would be cut dramatically, which may lead them to discontinue the Klipsch line in their selection. However, all this to say that most authorized Klipsch dealers will work with you on the price. Most of those will not get very close to internet pricing, but you CAN find those that will. All it takes is a bit of homework and several phone calls. Lay your cards on the table for the local dealer and you may have success. At the very least, you should be able to halve (sp?) the distance between the retail price and internet pricing. For me, it's well worth the extra couple hundred bucks you spend to get a product that is warranteed.

I personally found two or three Klipsch dealers that came down to internet pricing-almost exactly. Most, if not all, of the internet shops remove the serial numbers for precisely the reason stated in another post-they don't want the speakers tracked to the dealer that sold them. I'll bet that Klipsch is going to be adding a second serial number mounted internally, perhaps on the back of the horn so they can track these dealers.

David

Couple points:

I bought mine from an authorized dealer (Lehman Electronics, audio video only, not a chain) for $1350,unopened in the box. THe dealer was struggling. Before they were struggling their "final low" price was $1500, which seems to be close to the norm. I had a problem with both of them - the front was not glued properly. Klipsh replaced one and the other I had the dealer fix, (its an easy fix (for them - not me) and I didn't want to wait). Klipsh and the dealer were excellent to work with. If I bought from a unauth dealer, I couldn't expect klipsh to know how that dealer got it, transported it or anything (ie, maybe in a open pickup truck.) I understand this.

A year ago I bought an adcom amp from TTA direct. A non authorized adcom dealer. TTA direct told me the bought it from a hi fi dealer that was going out of business, which is why it was lower priced. Adcom checked the SS# and verified that they would cover the warranty, as they saw who it was originally shipped too. Let's put it this way - I hope I don't have to verify this claim. I feel more comfortable buying a ss amp this way than a speaker or digital processor where more can go wrong - especially with wood, glue, sensitive drivers, etc. Unless its deeply (50% off the $1500 price) discounted... Not to save $100.

With the economy in the tanks, I bet a lot of dealers went under and sold their inventory to liquidators. Thats how they get the gear. I believe McIntosh will actually buy their gear back from bankrupt dealers to avoid this or at least they used to per my uncle who owns 3 pieces of mcintosh gear.

----------------

On 12/4/2003 3:23:51 PM BigBusa wrote:

Does klipsch sell huge batches of excess surplus speakers to web merchants (who promise to remove the serial numbers) for super low prices and then refuse to warrantee them? How else could these web merchants get the klipsch speakers cheap enough to sell them for such huge discounts?

----------------

Here is a pretty good article from www.greengart.com. Read the second part ("Column 30 Follow up"), which just so happens the question was about buying a Klipsch speaker from an "unauthorized" dealer. That section explains very nicely just where these "unauthorized" dealers are most likely to be getting thier inventory.

----------------

On 12/9/2003 3:34:48 PM sonyguy wrote:

well boys i went to delaware and picked up 2 rf 7's for $900.00 each and one rc 7 for $550.00 no tax (delaware)

not to bad for an authorized dealer!so now i just have to pick up my new receiver sony 5000es. can't wait!!

----------------

Try these guys...

http://store.yahoo.com/authorizedelectronics/index.html

They have a high rating on pricegrabber.com too!

----------------

On 12/10/2003 12:43:28 PM Piranha wrote:

Try these guys...

They have a high rating on pricegrabber.com too!

----------------

If you guys don't mind about authorized dealer....... then try sounddistributors.com or hookedontronics.com. they are both doing cheap prices tho.... and sounddistributors offer warranty from klipsch but you have to pass thru them in order to have that(still 5years on speakers and 1year on sub's amp)

One thing:

I want to buy my new JBL Center speaker (HT4H, $550+shipping) and the dealer (JBL Synthesis authorized dealer) said he will just drop it in a box and send it to me. It will be 100% authorized, even though I did not go to the store.

I wonder how many Klipsch dealers would do the same - just a one on one deal 9.gif

Klipsch: I would love to see you do something with Crutchfield.

"Klipsch: I would love to see you do something with Crutchfield."

Actually, I'd second that. I've purchased many items from them over the years and never had a bad or even questionable experience. Once, I returned an item I decided I didn't like as well as I thought I would and kind of expected some grief in the process of returning it but they were very professional and customer oriented. Another time, I ordered a small bookshelf speaker and the grill was damaged when I opened the box. I called them and the sent another grill - Next day air! Now Crazy Eddie on the other hand, well, don't get me started!! 7.gif -Jim.

ccsakura:

The warranty those sites offer is not through or from Klipsch in any matter. We do not provide them with either products or warranty parts. What they claim to do is repair it themselves during the same time period as a manufacturer warranty would. Who is repairing it, what are they using for parts and will they still even be around if and when you need that "warranty" service are the questions.

PhilH

• Like 1

----------------

On 12/11/2003 2:59:31 PM PhilH wrote:

ccsakura:

The warranty those sites offer is
not
through or from Klipsch in any matter. We do not provide them with either products or warranty parts. What they claim to do is repair it themselves during the same time period as a manufacturer warranty would. Who is repairing it, what are they using for parts and will they still even be around if and when you need that "warranty" service are the questions.

PhilH

----------------

Yea I figured out few days ago when I just found uot the price was suspcious. I guess they are replacing by that tho..... whatever just giving some clue for non-authorized dealer 2.gif

klipsch read this. Crutchfield rules their is know better custumer support they pay for return shipping even. If something is broke you don't wait to get it repaired they send you a new one. If you sold through crutchfield. Then crutchfield would be the bomb. I never have a bad feeling about crutchfield. I have had probally ten different subs i tried from them and sent back i blew some of them up but it was no problem. They said it wasn't my fault and gave me a refund. I talked to a tech their which i do all the time and learned most of my knowledge through crutchfield and their staff, and i said i had klipsh's and he was like i don't understand why we don't sell them. If i can find and open box item from them discounted then it's a no brainer. Buying from them is like warm apple pie.1.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an odd story. After several months of research and beating up on the local salesman at the B&M here in Minneapolis(the largest Klipsch dealer in Minnesota per him)he agreed to sell me RF-7, RC-7, RS-7, and RSW-15 for 4100.00, cash out the door! The demo setup in the store was awesome, and couldn't wait to bring this home to my 3803 Denon. But wait! The largest Klipsch dealer in Minnesota could not fill my order through ANY of their 20 Minnesota outlets. HUH. Eleven days past before my mains appeared, three more for the sub,which was to come from one of their Utah stores, and I am still waiting for the center and surrounds. Maybe BIG-BUSA hit it on the head. An authorized dealer(large I may add)with NO inventory. Do they buy heavily and sell to grey market to lower their buying price.

I don't mean to sound negative, but it has been very hard to wait for something from an authorized dealer for when an on-line merchant could have saved me money, taxes and time.

OK... I just had to jump in here although there has probably been more then enough said. Price control is a must if you want a product that is properly Sold, Warrantied and Serviced!

1. YES, authorized dealers are make much larger margins on the speaks, but they also ship from warehouses that are climate controled and are fully insured. Costs involved in both of these! E-Tailers may run warehouses, and in some instance basements, that are all but ratholes!

Dealers do have the overhead of running the nice showrooms, where you no doubt went to check out the speakers prior to buying online. Additionally, the sales people that assisted you prior to buying online also get paid! Did I mention the inventory that the dealer carries to support the cutomer's immediate sale and aftersale warranty issues.

2. Sales Support simply isn't there with online sales. Hey, didn't we just cover this above? I would say that is well worth a couple of points on the price.

3. Yes you do pay for warranty within the price of a product, on everything you buy! Why do you think Plasma TV's are expensive and slow to come down in price? You pay for warranty replacement cost up-front (in ralation to the probability of having to replace the unit) to cover the unforseen. Plasma TV's are sealed units that, with some failure with the only resolution being complete replacement. You pay for this in the price!

Every manufacturer has an expectation that a certain percentage of product will, regardless of the manufacturing excellence, fail. I have seen Lexus, Mercedes and BMW on the side of the road too! If you don't want a replacement upon failure, don't expect it when you ONLY paid for the COGS (cost of the goods) plus a small mark-up from an online dealer. When you purchase from an authorized dealer you are paying for COGS + MARKUP (SALES & SERVICE) + WARRANTY.

Klipsch would be out of business pretty fast, as would many other manufacturers, if the warranty repair factor wasn't built into the business plan with regards to the selling price of a product! Where would we all be without our Klipsch!?

2.gif

Article text follows:

Klipsch lawsuit alleges illegal online sale of products

January 6, 2004

Indianapolis (Staff report) -- Klipsch Audio Technologies filed a federal lawsuit Monday against five online retailers, accusing them of selling its speakers illegally and infringing on its brand name.

In documents filed in U.S. District Court in Indianapolis, the locally based speaker manufacturer states that crazyeddie.com, 50TopSellers.com, AuthorizedElectronics.com, TheBestPriceStore.com and HomeTheaterPhiles.com obtained Klipsch speakers from the company's authorized dealers, then retailed them online and thus "unfairly" competing with Klipsch. The company has terminated its relationship with 16 dealers who shipped speakers to the five Web retailers.