Combo DVD-Audio & SACD opinions

Q-Man

I am finally going to get into DVD-Audio and SCAD multi channel music. I would like to buy one of the combination players. I don't care about bass management, I assume you can by-pass their bass management or run them all full range?

Is this correct? I use an Outlaw ICBM bass manager between my processor and amplifier for bass management. I prefer sound quality over picture quality if that makes a difference. I'm willing to pay

up to $1,200.00. if the format will be around for a while. If not then I will pay $600.00 tops.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Hi Qman, I have had this Pioneer Elite DV-47a for quite a while now. So far it has been great for both video AND audio. I did have one problem a while back, once in a great while it would skip due to heavy bass tracks. This was due to it being a bit too close to my Hsu sub though. I fixed this problem months ago by placing vibropods under it. I am very happy with this unit. You can find good deals on this machine now. I think the new replacement model is now the DV-47Ai.

Take care

Mike

i dont know if the chroma bug in the pioneer 45 and 47 have been fixed yet? i think not, but a few months ago i did head to heads in home on the gear in question, the pioneer gear was really good but the denon 2900, and yammi 2300 were both heads above in all respects, the 47a1 cost the same as the denon or yammi, but lacked in all categories, plus the pioneer 45 came with neat little diagonal lines, and they both seemed to have trouble handling high saturation color movies with out some kind ov bleeding colors, but this was my experience, all played sacd well, dvd-a well, but if a person wanted to play movies too, well than, there lies the difference12.gif

I have read many of Marksdad reviews of the 47ai and the apparent overwhelming display of the chroma bug. I have watched many of the movies in which the chroma bug has been reported. Teh only way I have noticed the chroma bug is by going frame by frame to the exact frame the bug has been reproted. I am not sure who watches movies frame by frame but I barely have time to watch them at 1X.

As far as SACD and DVDa the combo of the 47ai and 49txi is phenominal. The i link truly does music and movie audio justice. Great sound and fantastic bass management.

With the addition of the Parasound Halo amps the pioneer set up sound awesome.

If you are that worried about the chroma bug pop into any pioneer elite dealer and ask them about it. They will be sure to be able to spout out a ton of this that and the other thing about how bad it is and how it is destroying the world as we know it. Then ask them to show you the bug. You will wither get 2 responses.

We don't have any movies that display the "flaw" or they do not have the time.

There is nothing better than reading a post on these forums where someone will bring up the chroma bug and then the writer of the original post will ask what is the chroma bug Inever heard of it.

It does exist and some people swear it is in every frame and others wonder if they will ever be able to say it is about as annoying as an icecube getting sucked up to the straw constricting the flow of liquid.

With that said, I do truly respect Marksdads findings. I have found that in a number of set ups dvd player compatability does affect the quality of picture as does the display being used.

here is a couple of links

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77914

http://www.bigdish.info/other/dvd.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_2/dvd-benchmark-special-report-chroma-bug-4-2001.html

http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidbug2.htm

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=328755&highlight=chroma+bug

The new pioneer dv 59ai does not exhibit the "chroma bug" according to the few reviews out there.

Hope this helps.

If you want a great price from and authorized dealer request a price qoute at www.docdvd.com .

Josh is a great guy and always has a very very fair price.

Scott

I am currently looking for basically the same type of player, with the same price range. (The same models come to mind-Denon 2900 and the Pioneer 47ai) My local dealer carries both Denon and Integra, but is really urging me to get the Integra. Current prices seem to be this: Pioneer, Sony can be had for about $600, while the Denon and Integra units are closer to $1,000. I have read a number of positive reviews on all these units, but I just don't see as many people using the Integra and Sony players as the Pioneer and Denon. Does anyone use the Integra 8.3 or Sony 999 and/or compared them to the other units above?

David

Thanks for the reply guys.

One question about bass management in thr Denon 2900 and the Pioneer DV-47A1. Can the bass management for Video, Audio, and SACD be bypassed or all set to large and .1? since I want to do it all with the Outlaw ICBM. My current DVD player is from the year they were first were introduced and it doesn't have any DVD-Video bass management.

I've been digging out my old magazines to look up reviews for the past year. Sound & Vision is now layed out on my coffee table. When I'm done with that magazine I'll pull out Home Theater and Sterophile. Last night I ruled out the Yamaha DVD-s2300 $999.00 and the Onkyo $1,000.00. The Yamaha had high measured noise levels for all but SACD playback. The Onkyo has high noise levels for the DVD-Audio and SACD and there is talk about the Chroma upsampling bug.

I found a review for the Denon 2900 and the Integra DSP-8.3 that I'll read later today.

I see there are others to read about that I think have DVD-Audio and SACD. Marantz DV8300 at $1,599.00, Panasonic DMR-HS2 $1,000.00, Phillips DVDR985, Integra DSP-8.3,the search will go on for the next few days.

----------------

On 11/30/2003 10:23:17 AM Q-Man wrote:

Last night I ruled out the Yamaha DVD-s2300 $999.00 and the Onkyo $1,000.00. The Yamaha had high measured noise levels for all but SACD playback. The Onkyo has high noise levels for the DVD-Audio and SACD and there is talk about the Chroma upsampling bug.

I found a review for the Denon 2900 and the Integra DSP-8.3 that I'll read later today.

----------------

I was thinking about getting the Denon also until Friday when I read Absolutes Sounds review totally bashing it (December 2003 issue). Now I'm thinking either the Marantz or the Yamaha. They liked both over the Denon. I also read the long thread on HT forum about the Denon and that has pushed me away from it too. I'm not to keen on spending $800 on it then another $900 to have it mod'd to sound right.

I'm hoping to do a home audition early next year so I can decide for myself. In the meantime, anyone with experience with these units please post your experiences for us.

My wife has me outside putting up X-mas decorations today. Putting them up while wearing shorts and a tank top just doesn't seem right. I just took a coffee

break and read Sound $ Visions rewiew of the Denon 2900. The review was very favorable for both audio and picture quality. I could stop my search now from what they had to say about it, but I'll continue.

I'll see what I can find on the Marantz. I have to get back to putting up the X-mas lights now. Bah Humbug!

I now read a review in Sound & Vision on the Integra DSP-8.3 and it too is said to have a rather high noise level. It's noise level is -83dB, the Yamaha and the Onkyo were in the mid to high -70's and the 2900 is -91dB. Depending on your system you might begain the hear this noise in the -70dB range as a hissing sound in DVD-A and SACD playback.

That's all the reviews that I found in Sound & Vision. I prefer S&V reviews, because of the way they test and measure them by using the same equipment.

I now found reviews for the Marantz DV-8300 and Pioneer DV-45A. in Home Theater. I don't like the way they review things. For these players there wern't any lab measurements. They seem to like everything they review, but sometime will be helpfull by comparing one to another. For example they say they can hear the difference in the sound quality between the pioneer 45A and the 47-A1. Telling you that if you have the money buy the 47. Reading Home Theaters review on the Yamaha s2300 will make you run out and buy it, while S&V's put's it low on my list and I'm a Yamaha man. The H.T. review on the Marantz raves about the sound quality of this piece, reminding everyone that Marantz has always been known for putting sound quality before everything elce.

I'm not going to spend $3,500.00 on a DVD combo player, but I read two reviews on the Lexicon RT-10. One in Stereophile and Home Theater. Now here is a Universal Disc Player that we should all get.

I have the Denon 2900 and love it. I did not try the others but would have considered the Yamaha product. I got my Denon for $850 locally. I cannot think of anything I would want it to do more than it does already.

I think in the $1,000 price range they are all pretty equal. I think it really depends on inventory and the deal you can get. I really wanted the Yamaha unit but got a better deal on the Denon as that is what they had the most of.

----------------

On 12/1/2003 11:34:22 AM arthurs wrote:

I got it for my kids as a house warming gift. It is what I would describe as decent in all respects, but you are getting what you pay for. This unit will more than likely dissapoint anyone serious about audio.

----------------

I have the Pioneer 563A, I have not used it for movies, but I do use it for DVD-A & SACD as well as viewing Jpeg Pics on CD-RW from dig cam. I am serious about my audio, but not nuts about it. The $180.00 price tag is too low for this unit. It is a great unit for audio, it does was it says it will. DVD-A & SACD sound great. Could they sound better with one of the other more expensive players? probably so, but for me, based on price and performance, this player is a great unit. Well worth looking at, you can always return it if you don't like it. Think of all the DVD-A's and SACD's you can buy with the $1000.00 savings.

Good luck

Joe

Thanks for quoting me Joe....my point was this is a "decent player" and it is. I bought one, didn't I? The "disappointed if you're serious about audio" piece in my post was probably overstated, and I hate it when others tell me what to think, so shame on me, I stand corrected.

Can this unit compete with higher end universals on audio? Not for me, but it may be terrific for others so more power to them. I guess I am "nuts" to use your reference.