How to hook up a scott 340b?!

BigBusa

Wow, I feel inept but I cannot be sure how the speaker wires are supposed to connect to the 340B I just got back from Craigs shop. On the backside there's left "H" & "O", center h & o and right h & o. Then There is 4, 8 and 16ohms. Then theres the same on the top side. WTF?! I can't tell which is positive and which is negative.

I don't wanna fry this thing. 6.gif

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Copied from an earlier post:

-----------------

Instead of using the "H" and "O" speaker screws, connect your negative speaker lead to the "O" , and your positive speaker lead to the impedance screw (4, 8, 16 ohm) that most closely matches the impedance of your speaker. By doing this, you bypass the phase switch, and your speakers are directly connected to the output transformer secondary.

-----------------

Doing this will bypass the phase reversal switch, which adds a mess of wire to the signal path. I use the 8 ohm tap. Many others prefer the 4 ohm tap (especially Mc owners, seems like...) I found the 8 ohm connection subjectively a bit more dynamic, perhaps less constrained?

hmmmmm ...I'm not sure but I'm either doing something wrong or one channel has no output.

Here's what I've got. The right speaker has power when connected to the center h & o as shown but nothing when connected to the right H & O.

However, the balance works properly when hooked up this way.

PC030001.JPG

post-7446-1381925058705_thumb.jpg

Craig, you were right ...it was the phase switch on the back. Thanks for the fantastic support (craig called me at home ...twice!).

It's fine now. Sounds great. Will have more time to play around with it tomorrow.

I'm not a big fan of these speaker wire attachments. I have 12 ga monster cable to my 4 speakers but it's just to big to connect to these little screws.

----------------

On 12/3/2003 9:28:53 PM BigBusa wrote:

I'm not a big fan of these speaker wire attachments. I have 12 ga monster cable to my 4 speakers but it's just to big to connect to these little screws. ----------------

Part Number 095-820

I've mentioned these a couple times but I'll mention it again...

These are available from partsexpress.com part #095-820. They sell for $2.90 a 5 pack and fit 12 guage wire without a problem.Their #6 hole size fit both my Scott LK-48 as well as my Eico HF-81. Actually, they are great for any older tube amp that is speaker connection "challanged".

Jeff

Jeff,

thanks for the spades reference! They are exactly what I need so I won't be using any more *&^%$$#@! when I try to hook up speakers.

It is interesting that the creature comforts we demand on equipment today were not present fourty years ago, and we look at this earlier era of electronics as less advanced. If you reflect on this for a minute, many of the amps and pre's we have were hand built as weekend projects by our parents and grandparents. THEIR paradigm was what can we afford, and how much can we buy if we build the sucker from a box of parts. One of my goals in the next year is to buy and build a good tube preamp so I can learn more about theory and operation of these voodoo boxes.

I think that much of what we have and where we are in the world has been reached because we stand on the shoulders of giants, and I hope that we can wisely steward these gains.

If you tin the bare wire you eliminate 98% of the hassle. I used tinned bare wire on both my Fisher 500C and SA-100 with zero problems--I used silver solder.

On the MC-30's I had Nordost install gold plated mini-spades at the factory because there was no up-charge. They work just fine as well . . .

----------------

On 12/4/2003 8:05:22 AM sheltie dave wrote:

Jeff,

thanks for the spades reference! They are exactly what I need so I won't be using any more *&^%$$#@! when I try to hook up speakers.

It is interesting that the creature comforts we demand on equipment today were not present fourty years ago, and we look at this earlier era of electronics as less advanced. If you reflect on this for a minute, many of the amps and pre's we have were hand built as weekend projects by our parents and grandparents. THEIR paradigm was what can we afford, and how much can we buy if we build the sucker from a box of parts. One of my goals in the next year is to buy and build a good tube preamp so I can learn more about theory and operation of these voodoo boxes.

I think that much of what we have and where we are in the world has been reached because we stand on the shoulders of giants, and I hope that we can wisely steward these gains.

----------------

Dave,

Give a Foreplay from Bottlehead a try. It was a fun project last year, and sounds damn good for a kit.

Tom