When Audio turns into a fist fight....................

Cut-Throat

That is what I thought.... It seemed WAAAY too far fetched and was almost certainly a spoof as the subject of the different cable risers was almost too absurd as most barely believe in the theory to begin with. I think it was a total fabrication but something that floats in the General Asylum, a place I try to avoid like the plague.

The cable risers really gave it away.

Of course, I may be the only one in this forum that actually BELIEVES in elevating the cable off the carpet. Earth shattering? Nope. But I have done it in the past and am doing it now. I use old green/blue glass insulators that were used on telephone poles in the old days. They can be found for a few dollars at flea markets ....and look cool to boot.

I invite your ridicule!

kh

ps- I am 6'3 and weigh 206.... heh

Hey! Don't knock the cable risers. I'm selling (manufacturing) my own. GOld PLateD. OK? Cyrogenically treated nickel/brass core. With special nuclear radiation treatments. Anyone want some? email me

7.gif

----------------

On 12/5/2003 7:19:17 PM artto wrote:

Hey! Don't knock the cable risers. I'm selling (manufacturing) my own. GOld PLateD. OK? Cyrogenically treated nickel/brass core. With special nuclear radiation treatments. Anyone want some? email me

7.gif

----------------

I'm interested as long as they are oxygen free 99.9999999% pure uranium. If there is a 9 missing they're junk.

I like the idea of heavier cable risers than the ones I have.

I bought mine (they are actually re-bar spacers made out of plastic) from Menards for $.11 a piece. Best darn $1.10 I ever spent on audio.

But they are so light they tip over if you look at them cross-eyed. My speaker cable is very stiff and helps to knock them over.

Do they make it sound better? Hard to say, but they sure look cool.

Mobile Homeless, I'm jealous.

1st, for your setup, experience and knowledge.

2nd, I'm 6'3+ and weigh 230. I can carry it well, but my wife has decided that I'd be healthier at 200-210, and has been making meals to that end. I miss flavor in my food, though I will say, it's still better than coming home and having to fend for myself, which is probably how I got to this semi-bloated state to begin with.

*edit* The last fight I was in was in 2nd grade, I hit someone with the ball during kickball, he fell down, skinned his knee, he and him "homies" caught me after school, he hit me once, I hit him once, a teacher broke it up, we both left the school crying.

Mobile,

Yes, it's hard to believe that someone came to blows over cable risers. But, OTOH I remember when Tube vs. Solid State was a little far fetched. Now, reading 'Moondogs... Chicken Bones' we're almost coming to blows on PP vs. SET.

I could get punched out rather easily if I started making remarks about cable risers and seeing little green men. You're 6' 3" 206 - I'm only 5'8" and 149!9.gif

Ok, Kelly (this is positive, give me a chance!), I've got to hand it to you on this one -- the old glass insulators used on older electrical lines. I've wanted to use those for the exact same thing. This just struck so close to home I had to respond. When returning from a camping trip in AZ, my dad and I spotted several on top of an old T-pole, and we drove up, wondering how in the world we could get the things down...which never happened.

But I wanted to use them for the same thing. It would actually probably be possible to measure the amount of capacitance, if any, with cables elevated or not; and whether the increase is enough to be audible.

Anyway...a common thought on possible audio applications for old telegraph insulators. They're kind of neat old things just on their own. Although my 12 foot interconnects are still on the floor, I always look for those insulators when we got to antique stores.

I honestly think the modern 'Audiophile-grade' (what a stupid term)risers are modeled after those old glass ones. I could also throw several on the potter's wheel at school that would do the trick (if their is a trick to be done). Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm hand thrown anti-capacitance interconnect risers -- which I would call 'HTACIRs.' The name alone should easily add $250 to the asking price! The cost of the amount of clay used for a set of 6 or 8 would prabably be in the range of $3.00. Maybe I should stop teaching!?1.gif

One thing that would make the old telephone/telegraph insulators do so well... You can integrate them into your system and enjoy the improvement immediately without that long break in period with new "audiophile grade" risers straight out of the box. That comes from years of signal passing by on the wire. 10.gif

Snare drum roll and cymbal crash!

That was good, Dee! LOL!

...time for sleep. I can't believe it's only 8:15, but I've been up since 3:45 like every weekday -- and weekend when I breathe too many solder fumes. I've bad headaches from that stuff before - especially Welborne Labs Silver solder. I think I still like plain old Kester 60/40.

I have no idea why I'm talking about solder. Please disregard.

"That is what I thought.... It seemed WAAAY too far fetched and was almost certainly a spoof as the subject of the different cable risers was almost too absurd as most barely believe in the theory to begin with."

Kelly,

You can't make this stuff up. Check out the followup link to the story. I think it's for real!

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/301152.html

Strabo,

you really DON'T want to get the 99.9% oxygen free uranium for safety reasons. Uranium is one of the heavy metals that is pyrophoric, which means that it can spontaneously react with oxygen and produce an extremely robust exothermic reaction, which is Latin for it burns like the dickens. If you add water to the fire, it will use the additional hydrogen to burn more vigorously.

Also, like the Arcturus tubes, if you put a lot of Uranium in a heap, you can get a neat blue glow and see peoples' bones without trying. Just make sure that you spell my name correctly in your will....Dave Sh2.gif