RF5 or RF7

WS65711

A few days ago I purchased a pair of RF5, an RC35, and a pair of RS35.

I went with the RF5 due to the fact that I don't have enough space for an RC7,

and the RC35 was not indicated on the website as being a match for the RF7.

Now, I am finding posts that kind of refer to the RF5 as a "stepchild". I could

probably return my RF5's and exchange for RF7's, but my concern is matching

them to the RC35 and RS35.

Should I keep what I have, or what? They are in a system with twin SVS-2039PC+

and a VSX-49TXi.

Thanks

Dave

One point of consideration is that it would cost you much less to upgrade your center channel than it would to upgrade your mains to the RF-7s. If there is any way to find the space, I would probably get the 7s, although I don't know how well they match up with the 35 surrounds. Do you have the space for the RS-7s in stead of the 35's?

David

I did not like the RF5s at all. I went from the RF3 to the RF7 and never regretted it.

If you get the RF7s I would recommend the rc7

The 49txi is a great unit but with the RF7 and RC7 setup I found the ability to adjust the acoustical cals really helped.

The 49 will also literately bring out the harshness of the horns. If you hav eth opportunity to demo an external amp for the RF7s you will be amazed.

The general consensus seems to be to go with the 7's.

My problem is that I have room for the RF7, but the RC7 won't fit.

I could squeeze the RS7's onto the wall space (above door and bar

openings) if I had to.

But no one has yet said that the RF7/RC35/RS7 would make a good

matched set. That's the catch . . .

I have a friend who has the RC-35/RS-7/RF-7. He says its great and he didn't have to turn the center channel up too much to keep up with the rest of the system. I imagine that will depend greatly on individual rooms.

Why don't you have room for an RC-7? I recently discovered a very cool shelf that goes over a TV made by Sanus systems.

I have a 65" Mits HDTV situated in a Hooker entertainment center that

has a side cabinet on either side and a shelf directly over the TV with

a bridge piece above that. The shelf is as low as it can go to clear

the TV, but there isn't enough space between the shelf and the bridge

for the RC7.

The picture I have attached is old. It shows my JBL center, and the JBL

bookshelves were located inside the cabinets. The RF5's now stand between

the cabinets and the SVS.

Dave

post-13914-13819250614758_thumb.jpg

I run the RC-3's right now with RF-7's and RF-3's in the rear. The RC-3 is fine with the 7's, there are no "matching" issues, and the sound is clear and cohesive.

Incidentally, the dealer where I bought my Klipsch said that the customers quite often buy the RC-3 over the RC-7, mostly due to space limitations.

I really think you'll be pleased with the resutls.

I think the only thing that will have to happen is the center channle level is gonna be CRANKED to keep up with the large RF-7's. And maybe at louder volumes you will notice it strain more than the RC-7 would. There's a HUGE size difference in the two, so you would have to expect the smaller RC-3 to have a little difficulty keeping up. I went from a RF-3/RC-3 setup to the RF-7/RC-7 setup and noticed a HUGE improvement in sound and stage presence.

As for the RF-5 vs RF-7, I use the RF-5's for rears, the RF-7's are MUCH better in my opinion than the 5's for mains. I wish I had RF-7's for rears too, someday 9.gif

I'm very happy with my RF-5's. the RF-5's and RF-3's or 35's do NOT compare, so don't listen to that. I have first hand experience, and know a few others who have upgraded from 3's to 5's and reported an incredible difference. the woofers may be the same, but the enclosure is different, as well as the horn and compression driver.

I do not think that the RC35 would be a good match with the RF7's.

I was using the RC35 with the RF35's. The RC35 sounded small, boxy and muffled on movies that were not perfectly recorded in the center channel. The RC7 is much clearer.

I actually had to turn the center volume down with the RC7.

I also switched between the two in the store and the RC7 was clearly the winner.

David (dkp) -

Yes, removing the shelf and placing the RC7 directly on top of the TV would

provide the additional clearance required. However, there are two problems

with that approach. First, I have major concerns about placing 40+ lbs on

top of my RPTV. Second (and this is the real deal killer), is the WAF.

Dave

There is an alternative.

What you are really trying to accomplish here is matching up the sonic signatures of the speakers. Though it's not labeled as a "center channel" speaker -- I don't any problem using one RB-75 for the center. It's smaller, while at the same time giving you the same horn as the RF-7.

I would do two RF-7s and a RB-75 for the center. Definitely do this if you can afford to do it.

RB75LARG.JPG