so, how do you audiophiles like your steak?

KiNNi C P

rare...

i have cut down on red meat a great deal since i became a cardiovascular man. the only beef i eat now is the really lean stuff. too much of anything (minus ht) will usually do you no good, but i have participated in a heart cath. and have seen what blocked coronaries look like...no plans to do that to my heart so i keep the beef intake lower now.

i even like gardenburgers 9.gif but still like ruth chris' meat.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I have copied down a recepie or two (who'd of thought I'd get that on THIS forum?), I have a question. Will anyone agree with me that there is a distinct difference in the flavor of a steak served in a resturant and a steak cooked at home on a grill? I've tried some very high grade cuts at home, and can't ever get that resturant flavor. It still tastes delicious, don't get me wrong, but just "different". I've tried several steak seasonings from a commercial spice wholesaler that has an account with us, but the flavor still eludes me. What gives?

Oh yeah. Medium, but on the rare side. Some pink on the inside, but warm.

I'm not an audiophool, but I like my steak : Sauteed in lemon juice, rubbed with black peppercorns and montreal steak spice, then delicately brushed with bullseye barbeque sauce whilst cooking. Flip once, and serve medium rare, with a side dish of wild rice and steamed veggies brushed with butter. Darn, that's making me hungry just thinking about it!15.gif

Champagne taste beer budget,

Find a shop that has black angus tenderloin. (6-8oz ea.) Dust um with flower and fry in (4 tbsp) butter. Medium high heat and 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and keep warm. Add about one half cup of Marsala Wine to pan and deglaize it. When the Marsala is reduced in half add one half cup dry red wine, one half cup beef stock and one tablespoon of tomato paste. Stir it all in there and let it reduce by half. Return the steaks to the pan and give it 3 minutes or so. S&P to taste. Spoon the sauce over the steaks. If you get good quality beef you will change your tune. Like George Zimmer, I guarantee it. If you like Fennel, add a a few seeds with the red wine etc. I'll expect a full report.

Daaaaayyyyymmmmmmmm

That sounds excruciatingly wonderful. I have copied to Word, printed, and expect to be trying it this weekend. We have what's left of 1/4 beef and 1/2 pig in our freezer, all good, but nothing special, so I'll go a little out of my way to get the cut you recommend. And yes, I do appreciate the Angus stuff, doesn't get much better. When I want a GOOD steak, that's what I get, as opposed to the general stuff I have in the freezer.

As a change, I'll apply olive oil followed by salt, pepper, and chopped garlic. Maybe this is covering up the taste of a really good piece of beef, but it certainly is worth a try on the not so choice.

I've recently been using the electric stove and a heavy pan. Apartment life. I get the pan very hot and do put in some oil. Then sear each side for about 1.5 minutes. It is necessary to keep a cover on to keep the smoke level down. Before the flip I turn off the heat. Then just let it sit there for 10 minutes. An oven is un necessary.

The result is a well cooked outside and the inside is otherwise uniform at the desired "temperature". Restaurants may do this sort of thing with a grill, followed by holding in an oven at whatever temperature corresponds to the well-done-ness.

I think it was Dalton Brown on the cooking channel who suggested the very hot pan followed by low heat. Maybe the same can be done on a gas grill if you turn the flame off early in the process.

I like medium.

The quip for the undercooked is: "Steers have recovered from burns worse than this."

Gil

wow.....didnt expect that many posts. I guess all ya guys enjoy a well prepared steak just as much as a nice home theater setup.

Oh yeha, went to copelands, and tried medium rare, hmmmmmmmm, yum, but the inside seems to be half cooked, and looks no where like the rare i had yesterday. Almost seem like a medium. Oh well, i gues they cant cook steak that well. Still taste good though, no where as good as the rare though.

anyways, i went online and did some research and most site said that as long as the outside is fully cooked, its safe. Didnt believe it at first, but after all these post, i guess its true. lol,i wish i wasnt born with a such a paraniod mind.

ok, so.....on a rare steak, the top and bottom is cooked til brown, and the ring around the side of the steak is pink. Then the inside is red, almost raw, and really cool.

and for medium rare, it looks like rare, but the ring is not pink, but brown as well. Also, the inside is warm, not cool, and should look kind of raw as well.

i could care less about medium and up after i tried the rares, they just dont got the taste that the rare steak has. Now, with all ya encouragements, i'mma eat rare steak forever! LOL. THE BLOOD IS GOOD FOR THE BODY!

oh and btw.....this might sound gross, but dipping the steak in some nice ceaser dressing taste SOOOOO GOOODDDD!!!!

----------------

On 12/15/2003 10:10:35 PM michael hurd wrote:

As long as the meat reaches 165 degrees fahrenheit internally, no bacteria can live. You are safe if it has been cooked enough for the internal temperature to rise to 165.

----------------

Please read my first post about the extreme unlikelihood of bacteria infecting the interior of a cut of steak (ground beef, yes).

You are correct about 165 degrees being the temperature at which most bacteria is destroyed; unfortunately, with beef, this temperature is also five degrees above well-done, and a good steak will taste like *** if you cook it this long.

----------------

On 12/15/2003 8:25:56 PM boomac wrote:

Champagne taste beer budget,

Find a shop that has black angus tenderloin. (6-8oz ea.) Dust um with flower and fry in (4 tbsp) butter. Medium high heat and 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and keep warm. Add about one half cup of Marsala Wine to pan and deglaize it. When the Marsala is reduced in half add one half cup dry red wine, one half cup beef stock and one tablespoon of tomato paste. Stir it all in there and let it reduce by half. Return the steaks to the pan and give it 3 minutes or so. S&P to taste. Spoon the sauce over the steaks. If you get good quality beef you will change your tune. Like George Zimmer, I guarantee it. If you like Fennel, add a a few seeds with the red wine etc. I'll expect a full report.

----------------

Small variation on your recipe: Rub the meat with Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard instead of flour; after searing the steak, saute 2 T. diced shallots; add cracked or crushed black pepper and saute to release the flavor of the pepper. Add 2 - 4 T. Brandy and flambe; when the flame has subsided, follow the rest of the recipe (adding the red wine, beef stock, and tomato paste, etc.) Finish with cream, and reduce to desired consistency. Peppercorn sauce!

Oh, and be sure to use a good, solid pan. We're cooking now...

----------------

On 12/15/2003 7:06:39 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

Now that I have copied down a recepie or two (who'd of thought I'd get that on THIS forum?), I have a question. Will anyone agree with me that there is a distinct difference in the flavor of a steak served in a resturant and a steak cooked at home on a grill? I've tried some very high grade cuts at home, and can't ever get that resturant flavor. It still tastes delicious, don't get me wrong, but just "different". I've tried several steak seasonings from a commercial spice wholesaler that has an account with us, but the flavor still eludes me. What gives?

----------------

Having worked in restaurants for over 20 years, as well as cooking at home, I think what the steak at home is missing is a synergy between the higher quality beef that is sold to restaurants (this includes a longer aging process, crucial for a great steak... I like about 4 weeks on mine); and the better broilers and grills used professionally, which allow for higher cooking temperatures.

I cannot stress enough the importance of searing meat at a high temperature to seal in the juices and flavors. This is one of the key elements to cooking good cuts of meat, and one which the average cook-at-home slips up on the most. I cannot remember how many times I have been the guest at a cookout, and the chef-duh-joor throws the meat on a cold grill. By the time the meat is finally ready (usually about 40 minutes), the grill is just hot enough to start cooking on, but it is too late... the meat has lost all flavor, color, and hydration.

As much as I am enjoying this thread, I must say that I do not order steaks at restaurants very frequently; since I can cook them like I want at home (and for a lot less $), I usually order something more laborious to make when I go out... with several production steps and with different sauces, which I find I have much less time to do at home.

GRB,

I have had that black & blue steak and you are right.

On 12/15/03 chuckears wrote:

"Small variation on your recipe: Rub the meat with Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard instead of flour; after searing the steak, saute 2 T. diced shallots; add cracked or crushed black pepper and saute to release the flavor of the pepper. Add 2 - 4 T. Brandy and flambe; when the flame has subsided, follow the rest of the recipe (adding the red wine, beef stock, and tomato paste, etc.) Finish with cream, and reduce to desired consistency. Peppercorn sauce!

Oh, and be sure to use a good, solid pan. We're cooking now..."

Fantastic!!! I was really looking for something different to try next week when my Aunt & Uncle get out here from the East Coast. The've had the black angus steaks from the local market but this twist sounds like a sure winner. Many thanks to the chief.

Hi all,

Fire up the ole weber grill with about 30 to 35 kingford charcoal brickets( trick is not to use to much starter). For me, gas just dosen't do it. Got to have my carcinogens. Pull the 3/4 to 1 inch t-bone, rib-eye,ny strip, etc. from the fridge. Cover each side with about 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper and a generous amount of garlic salt. When coals become ashie, put steaks on grill with tongs (no forks) for about 4 minutes each side (med-rare to med). Pull from heat and let them rest for a few minutes. Accompanied by fries,baked potato,steamed veggies, or whatever you like makes for an excellent meal.

At $10.00 a pound you've got to make the best of it.

Darrell