Hiphop music reproduction on the "horns"

cwm

While riding around in my car I find myself tuning to HipHop music out of one of the local FMers. Sometimes this stuff can be lyrically intriguing and I like some of the creativity with the synth etc. I got adventurous and borrowed a neighbour boy's "Ludicrus" (their spelling)and was amazed at the sense of depth on my Lascalas. I know all kinds of electronic trickery is brought into play with this music but the sense of depth was rather amazing! Even Emimem renders not too badly...Anybody else become adventuresome and tried to evaluate this stuff both technically and musically? Now if I could just get that new Emimem tune "Bully" out of my bleeping head!!!! As this music is basically "black" music I find myself comparing some of the rhythmic lines to historical American blues----some of it is garbage but some of it is (to me) musically pleasing and creative..

Alot of this new gangster rap music has very tight electronic bass, when turned up on the old volume knob it's enough to stress just about any driver. But the klipsch seem to thrive on bass notes and i've yet to find a track thats able to challenge my horns or lascalas.

Worse yet i'm running a pair of phase coupled activators ( digital bass restoration units) they can and will extend your driver right to it's limit and then some.

Don't believe me then try finding a used series III ( the best of the 3 ) phased coupled activator made by audio control. You won't believe the bass untill you've heard one of these babys put a load on your system.

----------------

On 12/16/2003 8:02:39 PM cwm wrote:

While riding around in my car I find myself tuning to HipHop music out of one of the local FMers. Sometimes this stuff can be lyrically intriguing and I like some of the creativity with the synth etc. I got adventurous and borrowed a neighbour boy's "Ludicrus" (their spelling)and was amazed at the sense of depth on my Lascalas. I know all kinds of electronic trickery is brought into play with this music but the sense of depth was rather amazing! Even Emimem renders not too badly...Anybody else become adventuresome and tried to evaluate this stuff both technically and musically? Now if I could just get that new Emimem tune "Bully" out of my bleeping head!!!! As this music is basically "black" music I find myself comparing some of the rhythmic lines to historical American blues----some of it is garbage but some of it is (to me) musically pleasing and creative..

----------------

I'm primarily a fan of dead white guys (bach, beethoven, palestrina, kodaly, mozart, schubert, etc.) but my kid loves Jay-Z, Eminem, outkast, etc.

I cranked up the Corns to the BadBoyz II soundtrack and found it to be really good good stuff!! complex rhythms, layers upon layers of sound and really intense transients. SLAM!!

black music? Most of the artists are black, but the appeal cuts across racial lines in much the same way Jazz does/did. It is the first listening choice of a lot of our youth.

It might be my kid's way of getting bach at me for practicing Debussy and the like for hours on end. 1.gif

forrest (dad to a 12 year old gangsta wannabe)

rap is enjoyable to all races, even though it is stereotypically associated with blacks. people have to understand that if they let themselves just listen to the music and enjoy it for what it is (music) and not for the image (being a gangsta runnin a caddy with chrome spinners) they would probably really like it. I STRONGLY urge classical and jazz fans particularly to check out some music by Aceyalone. Accepted Eclectic has an incredible insturmental, as does Makeba. The Guidelines and the Faces are also some good tunes to check out by the same artist. I also can guarantee you'll find not one swear word worse then sh!t, which I think is a good quality for a rapper these days. but really, Accepted Eclectic is something else...3.gif

I find I have to turn down the bass on my khorns when fireing up the Kid R or any of the newer music for that matter. The engineers have it mixed for the kids and there 8" woofers not Khorns.

It is too bad that most of the modern day engineers drop off at 40 Hz too.... same argument I guess looking at the populus.

JM

I do listen to a large vareity of music and yes Hip Hop does sound killer on my system. I just added a pair of '62 Vertical Cornwalls in the rear and now I really have tremendous bass. I do not care for the Audio Control PCA III as they tend to be more of a one note wonder kind of bass, just like the the automotive Epicenter. I use the DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer instead since it provides more control over the bass frequency ranges. You can fine tune the bass at 28, 34, 40 & 50hz I only use it very moderately since it can really make an incredible difference. I have tried both units back and forth the DBX is the definite winner. It is especially helpful with my older AC/DC CD's that were recorded with very thin bass, the 120X-DS retrieves the lost bass information and you can add it back in to your heart's desire. The Nelly/P. Diddy tune off the Bad Boyz II sound track sounds absolutely unbelieveable, every subtle detail can be picked out. The bass is tight and solid, I do agree alot of the newer recordings are way overdone, too much signal!

Just pulling your leg........11.gif

Hip Hop is hardly my taste in music but some of the folks who perform in that genre are obviously very talented.

One in particular who comes to mind is Chris Thomas King who appeared in O Brother Where Art Thou as Tommy Johnson ( Clooney and company's black side kick who has the misfortune of becoming the guest of honour at a KKK meeting ).

King does rap,blues, and acting very well indeed and is not the only example of a Hip hop performer who has demonstrated an ability to perform in more than one arena.

----------------

On 12/16/2003 11:04:03 PM TheEAR wrote:

To each its preference and music,I know you love Rammstein for example.

And some ATB and DJ Tiesto from time to time
1.gif

----------------

I'll take all three 9.gif

I am not into hip-hop/rap, but I mostly listen to electronic music. Has anyone here ever listened to Autechre? If not, you should. It is not music, but rather, jeez, it's freaky. It's music that a computer made for itself. The dynamics are amazing.

What I really like with some of the electronic music (most of the stuff I listen to) is the musicians are the producers and they record it. Because of this, and the fact a lot of them are probably audiophiles (Robert Rich looks to be a very hard-core audiophile, and it shows in his recordings) to start with, and their music sounds VERY good.

Think of it like an artist owning a printing company, the posters they make are going to look REALLY good.

For Autechre, if you want to be scared, get Chiastic Slide - 99% of you would throw it in the trash by the half-way point. Personally, I can only listen to it with headphones. It's too much 6.gif

Guest Anonymous

Come on guys, bottom line is that, reguardless of what we listen too, our Klipsch souds Good EERRRR Great2.gif3.gif I really enjoy Alltypes of music from hip hop/rap to classical, to techno, especially classic Rock! Klipsch for all seasons, Klipsch for all reasons6.gif

Klipsch helps keep Smilin11.gif

I would first of all have to say that since neither Eminem nor Ludacris utilize the three elements of "hip-hop" they cannot be considered "hip-hop" artists. They're rappers! They don't even have djs in their mix. Real b-boys do not listen to that stuff. If you want some authentic hip-hop from a TRUE music lover then you should check out DJ Shadow-Endtroducing. Rock/funk fans would dig this classic album that only has the thickest grooves this side of James Brown, The Meters & Jimmy Castor...plus there's no rapping.

----------------

On 12/17/2003 2:52:17 PM synthfreek wrote:

I would first of all have to say that since neither Eminem nor Ludacris utilize the three elements of "hip-hop" they cannot be considered "hip-hop" artists. They're rappers! They don't even have djs in their mix. Real b-boys do not listen to that stuff. If you want some authentic hip-hop from a TRUE music lover then you should check out DJ Shadow-Endtroducing. Rock/funk fans would dig this classic album that only has the thickest grooves this side of James Brown, The Meters & Jimmy Castor...plus there's no rapping.----------------

I have Preemptive Strike, Entroducing, and Private Press. Great stuff. However, I think DJ Spooky is way better, along with DJ Krush.

----------------

On 12/16/2003 8:14:05 PM DALE WALKER wrote:

Alot of this new gangster rap music has very tight electronic bass, when turned up on the old volume knob it's enough to stress just about any driver. But the klipsch seem to thrive on bass notes and i've yet to find a track thats able to challenge my horns or lascalas.

Worse yet i'm running a pair of phase coupled activators ( digital bass restoration units) they can and will extend your driver right to it's limit and then some.

Don't believe me then try finding a used series III ( the best of the 3 ) phased coupled activator made by audio control. You won't believe the bass untill you've heard one of these babys put a load on your system.

----------------

I could not agree more about the phased coupled activator. I bought mine back in '91, and I have been using it every since. I use it with the Forte II, and it sounds something special. It is a great piece for someone who likes a bass kick.10.gif