Yamaha and Klipsch

slb

Having read this and many other forums for the past year, I've noticed a common thread among all the contributors- Yamaha and Klipsch do not go together. I must be missing something since I have a Yamaha RX-V3200, Klipsch RB5ll's , RS-3ll, and RS-3ll's and love the way this sounds. Everyone talks about this combo being too "bright", I love the clarity (horns just like the theaters use) and the quality of the RX-V3200, but maybe I don't have a "finely tuned" pair of ears. Is there anyone that agrees with me that the yamahas do go well with Klipsch and that sometimes these people believe more in what they read , not what they hear. Thank you1.gif

I don't personally have a Klipsch Yamaha combo, but one of my friends does in his house, and I have heard it many times and it never struck me as bring bright or harsh as many people say. I consider my hearing fairly tuned, as I spend around an hour or so a day doing intensive music listening. Looking for things such as harshness, brightness, imaging, ect...

Just as you say, I too have heard many people make this claim recently, so I am actually looking forward to this coming week when I will get to give my friend system another listen. I am taking along some test CD's so I know the material and can compare. I am curious to see if I just overlooked it or if like you say people just bandwagon together in beliefs for fear of being outcast by the audio community HAHA!

The one thing nobody can dispute is that the only thing that matter is if YOU are happy with the sound you are getting. This seems to be the case, so I say more power to ya!

My $0.02

JML

I have seen this debate about Yamaha's too bright many times so when it was time to demo receivers I did it backwards, I took my newly acquired heresy II's to the Tweeter store and connected it to their wires and was able to flip between the Yamaha and the Denon set at the same levels. I could now hear both with the push of a button. what I found was the Yamaha had what I consider to be a cleaner high end where as the denon had more of a flat sound almost like some of the highs were missing, and it seems to me if anyone felt the Yamaha was too bright just knock off the edge with treble. Just my 2 cents.

I have a Yamaha receiver (5560) running my system (RF-7s, RC-7, RS-7s and RSW-15) and love the sound. I really have no complaints, especially with the effects processing that the Yamaha does. Watching the pod-racing scene with the Sci-Fi processing sounds incredible. Overall I think my system sounds great, but I do notice a lack of bass and some brightness when I don't have the sub playing, although that may be more the result of my particular receiver than Yamaha receivers in general.

David

I have an all Yamaha HT and all klipsch speaker assortment, and I think your lack of bass is "POWER". NOt that I know how much your amp puts out, but when I used the preouts on mine to go from 85wpc to 250wpc for the fronts the bass really picked up. It still needs a sub for movies, but the low end on 2 channel is great. I have Forte II fronts.

I just happen to be one who doesn't care for the combo. It wasn't as bad when I was using the Forte II's with my Yamaha, but to me the brightness is much worse with the RF-7's.

I understand some people like it that way and that's fine, we're all individuals with different preferences. Yamaha makes a fine product, I'm not knocking them. But for this particular individual, Yamaha and the RF-7 don't match well.

I've had the RX-V2400 for about 6 weeks and I'm with SteelerFan, I also don't care for this combo, especially the center channels. I initially bought the RC-35 but did not like the sound (too harsh!), so I bought a new RC-7 about 3 weeks ago and it too seems too harsh. For cables, I originally bought the DH Labs Q-10 cables which now have about 300 hours on them, but the RC-7 is still too harsh sounding. Several days ago I changed the cables to a 14GA OFC but the sound did not change that much.

I'm sort of okay with all the speakers EXCEPT the front RC-7.

Anyone have any suggestions, it just seems that the RC-7 should not be hurting my ears after an hour or so of listening ??? My only solution right now is listening at a low volume

I should also mention that I mostly use my system for home theater, not much music yet.

8.gif

----------------

On 12/17/2003 7:53:01 PM john4618 wrote:

I forgot to ask: If I were to buy a different new receiver, what do you all recommend as the 'perfect match' with Klipsch ???

----------------

You are already there, congrats!

If anything try experimenting with speaker placement and room treatments.

the last yamaha i actually took the time to listen to was Yamaha DSP-A1 and DSP-A2. They dont sound bright at all, they actually really laid back and have that kinda soothing feeling to it. The A2 i listened to was hooked up to a Acoustic Research AR1 and the A1 was hooked up to some very big celestion speakers costing around 3.5K (nothing like the ones sold in best buy today)

tillmbil: Yes, the Yamaha does have preouts.

Watchengineer: Yes, the 2400 does have a center equalizer.

I found the problem last night! When I bought the RC-7 3 weeks ago I also bought a new AR Pro Series II Digital Optical cable which I connected from my satellite receiver to the Yamaha RX-V2400. And for 3 weeks I've been trying to tweak the Yamahas sound settings and trying different speaker cables with no success. Well, last night I started changing every cable going into the Yamaha, and when I changed my new AR Optical cable with an old $4 Optical cable, bingo, the RC-7 now sounds absolutely great! I then started tweaking the center channels equalizer and I am now a happy camper!

I do have a question about the equalizer: I can change 7 different settings which include 63Hz, 160Hz, 400Hz, 1k Hz, 2.5k Hz, 6.3k Hz, 16k Hz what I dont know is which ones should I change that will mainly affect the dialog/speech in a movie ??? I was going to do a +2db on these settings and then tweak it from there to suit my ears.

Thanks to everyone for your comments!