Whats a nice mid bugdet tube amplifier?

Klipsch RF7

Dual sources are better if you like your movie setup left the same. And you can still listen to music when you are switching components on your listening rig. Movies can sound good on two channel, but when you are in the U-571 German sub and depth charges are blasting discreetly on the left and right of your head, well, no two channel can reproduce that effect. I think George would like to have his cake and eat it too. An old Russound SB-3 will do the trick.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Ya see it's exactly what I told you baby, 500.00 turns into 5000 real real fast, lets see, New RF7s are about 2000 the 2 mono amps and preamp about 2000 plus the interconnects about 300 plus the newTT about 1000 plus the new dvd/cd/sacd/dvd-a about 1000 brings to $$$$$$. what is it that you Really want to do AND spend.

Hell of a good question HUH2.gif

Thanks tp all you guys for SELLING SELLING SELLING, and ya came down on me for suggesting a 500 + or- a few buck solution is now in the thousands! ha ha ha ha ha ha lets BREAK the bank on this one. 11.gif Refer to my earlier posts and na na na na na I told ya so6.gif

smilin out

ya getting confused yet?13.gif

----------------

On 12/20/2003 12:01:08 PM NOSValves wrote:

Is there some information to support that one version of the Iron is better then the other on these Leak amps ?
----------------

The transformers should have a model # stamped on the bottom of each. There's a book about Leak equipment called "Firsts in High Fidelity" which I own, but don't have it here with me.

I've owned the Leak Stereo 20, and my father still uses my modified Leak TL-10's in his office system.

Link with a nice Leak history and models http://home.mira.net/~kiewavly/Leak.html.

Last night I hooked up my DVD player analog outputs to this homebrew linestage, then to the Magnavox PP amp.

Took the subwoofer output of the DVD player, fed it through my Bass EQ to the bridged power amp, then to the SVS 16/46's.

Fired up "Goodfellas". When Ol' Tommy shot spider with his 45, it was like he was crackin' that thing off in the living room. Except for the quick little bit of tininitus one gets from firing a gun next to their skull without hearing protection.

(OK, maybe that's a little exaggerated, but it was shaking my little tasteless trailer.)

The SVS's where barely turned on, and I was still getting some serious bass.

Good enough for 2 channel HT to me.

George, if you've got the money and they are still availiable grab those Wright 10's before Neo gets them. Then search for a good inexpensive pre. I think you will be happy for a while with your RF-3s and elated when you get your sevens. Especially if your tastes run more toward Handel and less toward Jimi Hendrix.

Rick

As this thread is already very long and winding (long and winding road? Beatles, I think) I'll just offer my limited 2 cents. The original poster was looking for a tube amp in the $500 range. I have both the Cayin TA-30 and Scott 299B (rebuilt by NOSvalves) and can offer they are both great amps. As I've only owned both for a month or two, I have (almost) been able to separate their respective strengths and weaknesses (very few weaknesses). I'll throw out a more detailed review later after some extended listening to both with the same material and conditions but will say now that the Scott is extremely musical and fluid with music while the Cayin is a bit more detailed and accurate. The treble is more 'etched' with the Cayin and a bit more rolled off with the Scott. Everytime I think I prefer one of the other, I'll listen to the 'other' and change my mind. The Cayin is built like a tank and looks (and sounds) FAR more expensive than it should. The Scott (after rebuild) is like owning a fine museum piece in (new) working condition. They each possess their own beauty. Great thing is, you can try both without much concern. The Cayin can be returned (within 30 days, I believe) for full refund (less shipping probably) while the Scott can easily be resold and should maintain its relative value. Regardless of which tube amp you go with, I think you will enjoy the 'tube sound' with your Klipsch. You should definitely find someone (store, other forum contributer, etc) and audition if you can and decide for yourself. We can all offer varying opinions on which sounds best, better, etc, but how you hear and what priorites you place on music (extended bass, soundstaging, etc) will be different from mine and everyone elses. And that doesn't even begin to touch upon room acoustics, other equipment, speakers, WAF, etc...

Be thine own judge

Regards,

Dave

----------------

On 12/20/2003 5:45:35 PM neo33 wrote:

George, if you want the Mono 10s, please message me. I have already contacted the seller and I don't want to compete with member of this board.

----------------

Thanks NEO, I already messaged the seller about 5 hours ago and havent got a response yet.

GFH

Johnny dB hit the nail on the head. Others have eluded to the same thing here.

TWO SEPARATE SYSTEMS.

IMO there is no better way to get the full flavor of the tube experience than with a vintage integrated like a Scott 299, and you can always resell it and recoup much if not all of your $$. This would be a simple and effective way to start down the tube road.

Might I suggest Khorns? You're room seems just the right size and shape if you have the corners. The difference in sound quality from the various tube amp topography's pales in comparison to the difference between RF-3's and Khorns. Used K's can be had for less than $2K and will give you a lifetime of virtually unmatched sound quality.

This IS the Klipsch forum, right?

Greg