Help me pick out what I hope to be my last amps for a while

Tubinhard

Dean,

"Right now, I'm looking for a good Direct Coupled Push-Pull. Of course, I'm open to suggestions. Forget the 1, 3.5, and 8 watt stuff -- it ain't gonna happen."

OK - Dean I won't mention those amps. But, I just finished listening to Randy Bey's KHorns with my 1.8 Watt per Channel DRD45's - All I can say is Sweeeeeeeeeet!

9.gif

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Description

We bought these reproduction amps a few years ago from the guys at Hong Kong Audio who assembled them using half old WE parts and half new stuff. They even used the laminations and cans from WE transformers from the 1940's telephone installations in the USA (the phone company had a big "removal" about 8 years ago and the scrap was shipped to Hong Kong & elsewhere). The build quality is rugged--these amps weigh 28-lbs each with thick steel chassis. Many NOS parts were used. There are some cheaper imperfections; for instance the silver paint is not quite right, being a metalflake, but it looks ok and the lettering looks nice. The meter reads AC line voltage only, not plate current. The barrier strip and IEC connectors are modern plastic and no real effort is made to slavishly copy Western Electric down to the last detail. The cosmetic condition is very good except that when we bought them one unit had a few long scratches on it--you should be able to see the worst one on the face edge starting at the meter. But overall, they present a very nice, clean appearance. As you would expect, the sound quality is tops--very pure and smooth. Keep in mind that you need efficient speakers, like big Altecs, and the sound can then be wonderful! We do not know the B+ and bias that the 300B's are run at, but there are many different power curves one can use yielding from 2 to 12 watts, with modification. I believe the circuit is straight out of the WE book except that HK Audio added an extra 274 rectifier socket so that you can plug in either a 274B or 274A--a nice touch. Western Electric tubes come with the amps. The 300B's test 86 & 90 over 58 (58 is the minimum on the TV7 tube tester) but they do not have much flashing left. The 274A's read 43 & 47 over 40 and 45 & 47 over 40 and look ok. And the small punch 310A's read 56 & 58 over 30 and they look good. When we changed out the 300B's for 6A3's (6volt filament, but runs ok on the 5volt supplied by the amp) and put in 5Z3 rectifiers in place of the WE 274A's, the sound downgraded significantly to a merely good and correct sound. So it is possible to use 6A3's & 5Z3's and other types of tubes you may have. But, with this pair of repro WE 91B amps, we will include the full set of WESTERN ELECTRIC tubes as described. Our Starting Bid for the set with WE tubes is $2900. Buy Them Now for $3000

Did ya notice all the iron on the top?

(Sheesh! Now I feel like I'm promoting the auction....)

A 20 watt SET amp should have enough power. I'm glad you're not taking seriously the idea of a flea-watter. (But one of the transformers is scuffed up!)

When it's a one-off custom-made amp, you have no idea what it will really sound like. You're pretty much at the mercy of the builder and what he thinks sounds best.

I've been thinking 845 for a while, but they are freaking expensive. This is a homebrew version by someone who looks like they knew what they were doing. I've been emailing back and forth with the seller. I'm waiting for a pic of the underside. Can you tell if this is dual mono -- or is it just chokes galore?

Those Marantz 9's would be your last amps for awhile.

Scrounge up yourself a pair cookie jar triode's and have Craig homebrew a amp. 833. A 100 watt triode.

With 4000 volt max rating on the plates, you may wanna be careful!

Paul posted the commercial version some time ago.

Those big-assed RF triodes really go on the fringe of practicality, as far as cost, power, voltage and wattage, pets, children.....

Even a homebrew version using any sort of high powered triode tube can get spendy.

But, I would love to hear a 845, or the larger RF triodes!

But what you have to go through to get the big SET, one would be better off with a moderate sized well-designed Push-Pull.

In a pratical sense, IMO.

Are these anything for you Dean? Should be 20W PP or 12W SET:

Pair Manley model SE/PP 300b monoblock poweramplifiers. works 100%. With 2 new matched pairs EH300B tubes. 7044x2 and 12at7x2 tubes. Shipping is $58 in USA and CANADA. BIN$1,799

manley.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3067813097&category=39783

Rick

Edit: Gee whiz Paul. You'd expect that thing to get up off the table and walk around. IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!

post-12829-13819250841378_thumb.jpg