Dissappointing KLF30 Sound

phredd42

Purchased KLF30/KLF20/C7 appx 4yrs ago, been in boxex now for almost 2ys. Love the sound, but something just isn't right with them anymore. Almost as though mid to upper bass (if there is such a thing) is now gone. Just highs and the lows. Really want the RF-7's, but can no longer afford. Had a change of career due to depression, yuck.

Really don't hear any distortion coming from mid-horn. Kept wanting return for examination to New England Hi-Fi (some truly great ppl there, at least 4yrs ago) but keep getting embarrassed because of my illness and not being able to afford the RF-7, though I prefer the KLF-30.

Keep thinking of selling as package, but I figure for what I'd get, may as well take em' outside and smash em', why give em' away, right, lol?

Wow, please pardon, but I don't think I've yet asked a question have I?

Think it might have anything to do with the crossover? Really would like to get them back on line?

As for the KLF-20's/C-7 make me an offer and they are yours, gave up on surround sound.

Thanks

Fred

forgot a couple things i guess. Still have factory boxex, etc

I've been using an ATI 1505, Accurus RL11 pre, Rotel CD, Audio Control EQ, which I've boosted frequencies, usually just tried to flatten out respones or at least bring down the big rise in the mids. Living area was all wood except carpet floor. I thought I was pretty good at detecting distortion. Guess they had enough my playing them at or near 12 on volume.

I've resigned myself to my little computer speakers, that way i don't expect much.

Thx for replies

Oh my gosh, you have just described pretty much the exact thing I'm experiencing with my Klipsch KM-6's in the 'Are my Speaker OK?' thread. Decent deep lows , decent highs but the rest is like yanked out!...I wonder if there's a part in the crossover that failed or maybe the drivers or blown?...Anyone experience a similar deal? Is there a Klipsch tech here that might offer some input? I'd hate to get rid of these, they have such a killer look...

Appreciate the offers, but am having a rep from New Englad Hi-Fi come and check em' out. They think it maybe my hearing. Between home/car audio I never went below 100db, usually i was peaking 1110 or so.

I also just lugged my 30's 2 flights and hooked in bedrom, they acutually sounded fine We'll see.

Again, thx for replies

Hey Greg, thx. Just sent an email to you. I live in Standish, not far from you. Never listened really to high end gear, reckon I could visit for a listen sometime?

I'm using:

Accurus RL11 Pre

ATI 1505 Amp

Rotel RCD971 CD

Audio Control III EQ (only use for "minor adjustments only", pretty rare)

Carver TFM 24 Amp (just in case, does have a warmer sound)

Thx Again

Fred

" They think it maybe my hearing."

That could definitely be a possibility. I went to an audiologist who informed me after the testing that I did not need a hearing aid

9.gif

He continued saying you need two !

14.gif

He was right. Now I sit and let the music wash over me and couldn't be happier with the sound. True my hearing is corrected only to 8000 cycles but limitations or not I can still pick out a mid fi piece of garbage the moment I walk into a room.

Getting your hearing tested might be a wise investment.

A while back there was a thread on here connecting diet to hearing quality (or lack there of). I've been having tinitus in my right ear for about 7 or 8 years now. It just hit me that it's roughly the same time I've had Type I Diabetes. I drink diet pop and the artificial sweeteners they use can cause the tinitus. Things like caffein can do it too.

Just a loose thought....

BTW-- People here are asking you about a pair of 20's when you said in the first post you have 30's. Just wanted everyone to be on the same page.

Have you thought about rewiring the insides of the cabinets. Yes, I know. This is another can of Pandora's worms.....

Hi Tom,

I just took the KLF-30' out the boxes, it seems like being I haven't played them in, i'd guess 2yrs, they now sound like new.

Seems so strange. Uhm, I also have the KLF-20's and C-7. Decided to keep everything, then once I get back on my feet, i want to purchase the new Anthem MCA20, think that is the one.

Thanks for the replies ppl

Ya'll have a great "Klipsch" day

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thx folks for all the replies.

Went to an audiologist, my hearing came out "A-ok"

Did make someone happy I guess, sold an ATI1505/C7, Adcom GSA-700/GDD-1 for $550 i believe, can't recall, and even threw in an old Yamaha tuner for free, along with the $150 patch cord for the Adcom's.

Just too much hassle to sell on e-bay. Besides, they were sitting in basement in boxes. Prefer my Carver over the ATI. Now to just get the new Anthem MCA-20 (2ch amp).

Still debating whether to rid of the KLF-20's.

Guess I'm sick, I almost like listening to my computer "junko" speakers over my Klipsch.

Ya'll have a Great Day

Fred