Ditched my surround sound completely

maxg

well the only thing i could think of that seems to be ruining maxg's surround performance and maybe quite a few others is the amp thats spelling begins with a "y" and ends with an "a". it's too bad. it seems like yamaha (oops, didn't mean to put that there) put's a zillion dsp modes into there amps/receivers and end up sounding like, well maxg explained it. i guess that's why i opted for denon. i didn't want to buy a receiver from a company that manufactures motorcycles, jet-skis, and an endless array of other products. i WOULD buy their bikes though. 5 channel stereo sounds awesome. but i really don't want to make an arguement about it. i would never give up my surround setup though. what would happen if you brought a date over the house (granted you're not married/taken) and she never experienced a chest pounding movie outside a theater. she'd be awed. my girlfriend loves my setup and says she probably wouldn't want to watch another movie without it. even 5 channel stereo envelops the room with sound. i just don't understand. some of you should go to the dtsonline.com site and order some 5 channel music....and ditch the yamahas.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

samuel r, I could'nt have said it any better myself. I could'nt beleive the difference in sound when I swapped my Yamaha receiver for the Harman Kardon . The music was so much richer and cleaner. Yamahas sell (I think) for there bells and whistles. You get a lot of button's to push and sure it looks great in a stereo rack but if you really spent the time to compare then you would be enlightened.

Surround sound is the way to go you just need the right equipment.

Monty

Geezzzz...Here goes the Yamaha bashing again cwm44.gif

Mike

The Yamaha Underdog...................

Chorus II mains

Academy center

KG.5 front effects

KG1.5 rear surrounds

SW12 II sub

YAMAHA RXV2090 Receiver (1st reachable DD ready..."old")

Sony DVP-S500D (DVD w/ built in decoder)

YAMAHA cdc-645 5 cd changer.........

I know, man this stuff is old! But it sounds so GOOD!! Smile.gif

Oh ya..I forgot to mention, the really cool thing about this receiver is that in the summer I can use it as a jet ski. In the winter..it makes a great snow blower!! What more could you ask for for cryin' out loud??!!

This message has been edited by Mikekid on 06-16-2001 at 10:31 PM

Your Yamaha model must be a bad one. I previously had the Sony strv444es than I got the Yamaha RXV1000 and I and very happy with it. Maybe you just a lower model or a member of a bad family. Oh well just an idea.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3

RC-3

Synergy Rear surounds

quote:

Originally posted by Mikekid:

Oh ya..I forgot to mention, the really cool thing about this receiver is that in the summer I can use it as a jet ski. In the winter..it makes a great snow blower!! What more could you ask for for cryin' out loud??!!

ROTFLMAO cwm2.gif

Doug

Yeah, maxg. I hear you.

Personally I'm looking to sell my entire Reference HT system (including Outlaw Audio 1050 amp, and KSW-12). Once I do, I should have enough cash to pick up a stereo system using tubes (bottlehead Paramours, most likely), and a pair of either La Scalas, Cornwalls, Hammer Dynamics Super 12's, Bottlehead Straight 8's. I'm going to the VSAC conference in Sept, so I should get to hear all kinds of high efficiency designs! I can't WAIT!

Charlie G

------------------

"What's that noise?" "It's the carpet, it kinda mutes the speakers." "No, it sounded more like the chandalier falling."

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Mikekid:

Geezzzz...Here goes the Yamaha bashing again

Mike

The Yamaha Underdog...................

I'm on the Yamaha bandwagon with ya! LOVE my RX-V3000!!! Didn't buy it for the bells and whistles (i.e. DSP modes) There are only like 3 modes i ever use. Got it cuz it sounds GREAT with the KLF-30/C7/RS-3 setup. Compared it to Marantz and Denon and still kept it.

To each his own...

-Rich

Rich, I agree with you. I am very happy with my RX-V1000. I would love to have the RX-V3000. I would have to say before buying the RX-V1, I would probably seriously explore Marantz or B&K. But at this point, I am very happy with Yamaha.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear

Glad to see some music lovers seeing the light. I posted a thread over a year ago about my abandonment of multichannel music/HT setup in favor of a traditional stereo setup. It did not raise an eyebrow compared to this. To repeat, I had the works. Lexicon processor, separate amps (7 channels, 1 sub), Laserdisc, HiFi VCR's, CD, Sony TV. It had its moments on a few action movies but was a total joke on music. I sold the whole damn gimmicky thing. I got out my old 1979 La Scalas, replaced the crossover, bought all tube highend preamp and SET mono low wattage amps. I upgraded my turntable to a VPI with a Dynavector 20XL moving coil cartridge into a Lehmann's Black Cube, added an REL Strata II subwoofer, hooked up my old oscilliscope Marantz tuner, bought a Sony SCD-777ES Super Audio CD player, bought a VPI vacuum record cleaner. Finally I cleaned the AC with a PS Audio P300 and Ultimate Outlet. Yeah, it was a lot of money for "only two channels", but all my multichannel advocates say it smokes anything they have heard within its price range, stereo or HT. BTW, I watch movies on a 27 inch regular TV through my Panasonic DVD player with no HT setup. I seem to hear the dialog better than I did with my big HT rig.

Stereo rules,

drobo

I have to side on the 2 channel setup. Most of my friends "upgraded" to surround sound but they had to make compromises to their simple 2 channel setups. Also most of the movies I like are non-action type.

Personally, surround sound is too much stimulus for my head...I enjoy a simple stereo soundstage where I can close my eyes and visualize the performers.

Wow, I remember those, ours had a little orange lighted dial in the center, opened my ears and closed my eyes to visualize the Green Hornet, the Shadow, Inner Sanctum, Fibber McGee and Molly. After all, it is all about stimulating that space between the ears... and in those days nothing beat the radio. Thanks for the memories... I bought a pair of Cornwalls for a two-channel refuge. HornEd

Yeah,I enjoy good music myself,much more often than watching a movie.But on that rare occasion that I do have the time to watch a movie and be entertained,I like the experience that multi-channel provides.To each his own.

Keith

I had no idea when I made this post that it would spark so much comment - both for and against surround sound.

I would say that this does not augur well for DVD/a. The majority of people here (hardly a globally representative sample I agree) are 2 channel officionado's. Seems like this would move the ball in the direction of SACD which is 2 channel (currently).

SACD is certainly the direction I am thinking of taking (if and when it takes off).

So, is there anyone out there with a top line 2 channel setup that has moved completely to surround sound? I realise that defining top-line is a bit tricky but to be simplistic lets say a system that they spent $10,000 or so on and were happy and then switched to a surround sound setup (at any price) for music.

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

discorules,you need a better center channel speaker.What fronts do you have?

Keith

I have SB3's and no center channel speaker. My home theater is a early dolby surround system with no center channel output. Having said that, even the dialogue at the theaters with movies that emphasize SFX are sometimes difficult to completely understand.

I guess im getting old, still like my music, more than movies, besides it was all synergy and reference set up!

So i didnt really loose much!!

If i did go back into H/T all i need is a heresy for center and a digital surround, even still, i havent thought of it!!

I just do not miss the theater thing at all!!

I grew up, cranking music, NOW, what would your freinds think of you, if you were cranking a movie!!!

LOL Regards Jim