Ubid Scams!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maverick

You just gotta love these ubid scams. Check out the klipsch listing for Quintet 200 watt speakers. They have 296 available with a starting bid of $9.00. The price is currently 119.00 because Ubid says someone wants 296 of them at $109.00. Thats $32,264 plus shipping!! Too bad I'm not a lawyer so I could stop these stupid scams!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if someone wanted all of them they would never start with an opening bid of $109.00!

C'mon Ubid Klipsch owners are smarter than that!

Yeah, I was kinda wondering about that, myself. I had bid on a pair of 1.1's (46 available)at $75 bucks. Then, suddenly someone bids $100+ for all 46 of them.

Seemed a little fishy but I thought maybe some dealer had bid on all of them and them was going to resell them on ebay or something.

I am dubious about ubid.

------------------

--Elliott--

I've noticed alot of KG3.5's on eBay lately, and about a month ago Ubid had alot of them that they were selling.

Sounds like people are doing just that, buying from Ubid...and selling on eBay.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Guest polymon

I may be wrong, (BobG, Phil??) but I believe This creates a "trans-shipping" issue, wherein the warranty applies to the original retail purchaser but NOT to a reseller who bought from an authorised retailer. U-bid gets closeouts from Klipsch, and the buyer (read: end user!!) gets the warranty.

I don't think Klipsch is officially obligated to honor warranty if a person buys from someone else who bought from Ubid...

------------------

Polymon

yea & those klipsch rules are set in stone & fully enforced Wink.gif

hey poly, how's the weather there? i'll be @ seatac tomorrow am.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Those huge lot ubid auctions are a bit fishy, especially if they dont get enough bidders to get a bit over the 9.00 start bid. My guess is they would leave the bid alone if the average sell price for one quint was $30.00. But none the less.. shill bidding is quite illegal. But hard to prove, especially since the auction site owns the product.

Every now and then ubid has smaller lot auctions that seem to be a bit more on the level. I was able to pick up 4 white quintets there for just $160.00 + $22.00 ship/hand charge.

BTW the Quints work nicely in the upstaires loft Backup HT room. (In other words. My old equiptment room - I couldn't bear to get rid of the stuff.)

This message has been edited by BigRob on 06-20-2001 at 09:00 AM

• 1 month later...

I got my KG3.5s off UBID about 6 months ago, $260 including shipping. I was thoroughly impressed, won the auction on Wednesday and the speakers where at my door Saturday. You'll never see that with Ebay.

Now I just have to figure out which center speaker to buy...

I also hear people are buying them and selling them on ebay. You really cant say its a scam unless you have been burnt. I just got a ksc-c1 for 99.00 plus shipping. Now that is a awesome price. They had a oak c7 that sold for 200.00 new... !!!!!!!!!

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: KSB 3.1

CENTER: KSC-C1

REAR: WHITE QUINTETS

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

FOR SALE PINANNCLE WIDESCREEN CTR (105.00)

I bought my KLF-C7 from UBid with no problems and at great savings. Also picked up 4 white and 4 Black Quints, shipped for $260, no problems (Except I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with them. They were a good deal and I needed a quick Klipsch fix- You know, like most Klipsch junkies need from time to time). Now I'm seeing KLF-30s on UBid. My eyes are peeled, I'm waiting to see my Holy Grails (Khorns), so I can snap them up!

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Mains: LaScalas

Center: KLF C7

Front Effects: None Yet

Rears: Chorus IIs

Rear Center: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT150

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

DVD: Sony 560D

TV: Toshiba 61" 61H70

quote:

Originally posted by Ludivigo:

I got my KG3.5s off UBID about 6 months ago, $260 including shipping. I was thoroughly impressed, won the auction on Wednesday and the speakers where at my door Saturday. You'll never see that with Ebay.

Now I just have to figure out which center speaker to buy...

Ludivigo...

I just hooked up my mom's brand-new HT with all Klipsch (on the front soundstage at least) from uBid!

I got the KSC-C1 from there first, for center, then I saw the KG3.5's at an incredible price...

so I asked around here if they were a good match for the KSC-C1, and was told "Yes" by someone with the exact same setup.

SO, I say, go for the KSC-C1 from uBid as well.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

Yeah I've seen some of those fishy looking deals too. But I also just got thru opening my Acurus 125X5 amp I bought from U-Bid for $659.It was sealed,double boxed,and had the Klipsch label marked out on the outer box.BOY,a high quality piece of work!Gotta do a little ear testing now!

Ludivigo,get a KV-3.If you just can't find anything, I've got a pretty good KV-2 in black I'll sell.

Keith

By the way, is there any way to see what items actually sold for on ubid, like you can on ebay with "Completed Items?" Ubid seems to be quite a bit less sales info friendly than ebay...fini

As far as I know, the only way to see what bids won a uBid auction is if you've actually made a bid yourself (successful or not). Then, you can log in to "My Page", and go to "My Bids". It will show a list of auctions you've bid on, and the range of successful bids for each. I'm not aware of anything comparable to the "Search Completed Auctions" on eBay. So, if you're not bidding but interested in finding out the "going rate" for an item, you'll have check the auction shortly before it closes; once it's over, the list of successful bids disappears.

So like, I've been looking for some Klipsch that are cheaper than buying straight from the company right? I've checked out a bunch of online sites, as well as gotten recommendations from fellow "forum goers." I've kinda gotten the impression that ebay is the only semi-reliable place as far as bidding goes. I haven't gotten a real good impression of places like Ubid. Am I wrong?

Jojo,

I bought a KLF-C7 from ubid for a very good price, and my whole experience with the site in general has been very positive. They do on occasion have a large bid for an item that is going WAY under its value, probably so they don't lose their A$$. Ebay remains the only reliable source for Heritage series Klipsch speakers right now though. The variety there is much better than elsewhere on the net.

Ubid has been clearing out KLF-10's for a couple of days now. They are going pretty cheaply (around 500 bucks with shipping figured in). The items from ubid have the Klipsch warranty included, as ubid I believe is an authorized reseller.

Take a look, and I hope this helps.

Speed

------------------

Klipsch Chorus I Fronts

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch Heresy I Surrounds

Mitsubishi WS-55807 55" HDTV

I've been dealing with uBid for about two years now, and have had generally positive experiences. There were some past threads on this forum as to whether uBid is an authorized Klipsch reseller (search the archives on "uBid"); my recollection is that BobG said Klipsch was experimenting with using uBid as an Internet seller of discontinued inventory, and that indeed the warranty was valid.

Just a couple of pointers when dealing with them. 1) Their shipping/handling is often quite inflated. Be sure to factor this in to your bidding. Also, if you're bidding on a pair of speakers, the bid price and s/h shown is PER EACH not per pair. 2) Know what you're willing to pay, and don't get caught up in a bidding frenzy. New auctions for the same item often start within an hour or so of the previous auction's close. So, with a bit of patience you can often get a good deal after trying your hand at several auctions. 3) If you really want an item, try to place a minimum bid as soon as the auction opens. This gives you an early "time stamp" -- assuming there are several items up for grabs, this is very important to actually winning an auction other than by having the highest bid. Then, don't place another bid until shortly before the auction closes. At that point, enter a bid for the minimum needed to get back into the action. Your early "time of first bid" will place your new bid ahead of all others (at the same price and quantity) who placed their initial bids later than yours.

Good luck!

This message has been edited by SteveLee on 07-29-2001 at 04:46 PM

I dont know about a scam, but theyve been running an awful lot of Legacys lately...Last night, for instance a bid for KLF-10s ended at 7:47 pm eastern time....Believe it or not, they went for $189 each....Those speakers list for $1100, and some lucky somebody picked them up for $398 for the pair...Now for shipping, they were charging $150, but still, for $548 delivered, its incredible...Equally good buys can be had on KLF-20s and 30s.

I just got what I thougtht was a sensational buy on RF-3s for $681 delivered from an internet store....good as my deal was, it didnt hold a candle to the Ubid deal...Only thing is they didnt have RF-3s on Ubid. If I hadnt gotten mine, I'd probably be bidding on the KLF-10s now....They seem to have them daily. Guess theyre' helping Klipsch sell their overstocks.

Even though its after the fact for me, I'm curious, anybody have a preference of RF-3s or KLF-10s for mostly classical listening? Rock?