Vintage Scott equipment

jweed

----------------

On 1/14/2004 10:16:41 PM NOSValves wrote:

Well I would think that people would be just a little more mature then that ! If people do not like the sound they have the option to send it back for adjustment. Also how am I to know if my customers are happy if they lie to me ? Its just that the statements made by Ryan above have no real foundation at least on this forum. I have at least 50 vocal people that have written extensive reviews of the amps he says are to bright and what not. It just seems like a game to me !

Craig
----------------

I don't think that it's a matter of being mature, but a matter of who you're dealing with.

Let me rephrase it. Do you think that you've received honest opinions regarding your project amps?

Ryan,

Of the three EL-84 based integrated amps I have(HF-81, 299b, AMD SE) the 299 has the punchiest bass and clearest highs. The SE amp has the least bass and silkiest mids. The HF-81 is OK. They all, and a ST-35 PP amp that I built, have that EL-84 mid-range not too bright but forward would better describe it. Some like that sound better than the "warmer" 7591 amps.

My honest opinion.

All work on these amps was performed by myself so I have no axe to grind and definately no bias, although I like the 299c (late d circuitry) better.

The b does souund good on the Khorns and if it were my only Scott I would be happy with it while seeking the affordable Holy Grail.

Rick

Ryan,

I don't have attitude I have a problem with the way you are conducting yourself here.

What was it maybe a month ago on the Scott list server and guy popped in saying he had found a warehouse full of like new Scott gear. People were making requests for him to see if this and that was available. Guess what amp Ryan asked for.................. Yup Scott 299B now who has a axe to grind my friend !! You admitted at that point that you came here talking down 299A/B just to get under my Skin !! Would you like me to post the email you wrote to this effect. We then agreed that this behavoir was going to end between us and you just went back on that agreement. Your purposely doing this to try and give me a attitude and you know it. I'm not getting a attitude I'm getting HONEST Opinions !

I guees I'll choose a side in this flame war!

I've got an honest reply to all concerned, regarding my NosValve rebuilt 299A mkII: I F*CKING LOVE IT!

I'm not here to stroke Craig's ego or promote his business. I'm hardly afraid of pissing him off. Sure, he has my address, but I doubt he'd show up at my doorstep.2.gif What do you have to gain, by not complaining about the service you just received? As a matter of fact, I did have a problem with my Scott a couple of weeks after I got it back. It seems one of the ceramic resistors (or something like that) developed a crack in it. Probably due to being shipped around in the dead of winter and being "dropped" over my privacy fence by UPS. Craig had no problem fixing it, after futile attempts of walking me through, had failed. I had it back in less than 10 days! If Craig didn't fix the problem, you bet your @ss I'd be on here telling others. In a way, this forum provides me some leverage.

Yes, this was my first taste in tube gear. And as a tube newbie I don't usually speak up about how my system sounds. Mainly, because I don't know how to accurately describe what I'm hearing. I don't want to seem like a dumb@ss. However, I would not use the adjective "shrill" to describe. Yes, my 299 has been modified, so maybe your hearing something I'm not. I'd like to also mention I have an ASL AQ1003. It sounds wonderful, but on my Khorns I prefer the Scott. I know apples to oranges here but... The Scott to me sounds more natural or more like live music. I will be able to compare my 299A against the 299B when I get it back from Craig in a few weeks. I'm leaving the 299B more "stock" sounding. Bring on the shrilly highs, I guess.2.gif

Not to stir the pot anymore, but...

I will say this about these silly flame wars you guys start up every so often. They make you both seem small. I must admit during the first Great Craig-Ryan flame wars, I thought Ryan had a point of Craig muscling people on this forum, especially how Craig would jump all over Ryan when he'd post. Back then Ryan was known as HHScottExpert or something to that effect. Pretty pompous, yes, but good to have an expert around. I kind of took those posts of Craig's out of context because I was only popping in on the forum and never seen where or who started what. Imagine a forum newbie coming into the middle of your guys flame war. He would think we all treat each other like crap. After seeing this one develop from the get go; Ryan seems to go out of his way to agitate. Why would you concede to Craig that you liked the 299B if you really don't? To shut him up, hmmm. So you take that back to...

And as far as Ryan's comment regarding the 299C being KING outside this forum, check out what I happened upon at the HHScott site.

http://www.hhscott.com/cc/editor's_picks.htm

I was waffling on who to send my 299B to. I would've liked to have one rebuilt by Ryan to compare it to the one redone by Craig. After reading these posts, it seals it. Who would you send yours to? Someone who thinks it is low on the Scott food chain or somebody who holds it in high regards? Craig my 299B goes out tomorrow. 9.gif

Craig,

I just want you to know that if I didn't like the sound of my 299A I'd tell you, & I'd still feel comfortable asking you into the house. The addition of Telefunkens made it sound more forward to me, & I like that sound with the forward sound of the Khorns & LaS.

If I found fault with your build quality in the Bogen you rebuilt for me, you'd hear that, too. As a customer, I paid for the right to have you listen to my complaints. Just because I haven't complained, doesn't mean that I won't. It does mean that I haven't.

You've gotten honest responses in our conversations about my 2A3 monoblocks and multi=channel Marantz,and I think your new amp looks sweet & its versatility is a big selling point.

SSH

If I had a complaint about someone's work, I wouldn't post it on a public forum. I'd talk to that person. Posting someone's personal comments spoken in confidence on a public forum is pretty low. Tells me a lot about that person.

I'm damn tired of listening to these two argue on our forum, and everywhere else you go. It is a shame that so much talent is wasted. For what purpose? I think I'll find someone else to do my future work.

Keith

Kieth,

No arguement here I'm just trying to find some truth ! When someone got testy I just limited my reply ! I think holding back your true feelings on a product to your Klipsch forum buddies is not doing your friends justice. But that is just me.

Craig

I really wish all this BS between the two Scott rebuild guys would stop. When I asked the question between the 299A and B it was simply for some mellow, objective opinions from folks who have heard both. It's pure madness that such simple questions get blown into these BS debates time and time again.

I'm very happy with my 299Arev2 (Tube Valley upgrade, then reworked by Craig). I only had a 299Arev1 to compare it with. I've no other tube amp. I find it interesting that the 299A/B was found to be more shrill than the C/D because at times I find the high end rolled off a bit (with the "loudness" turned off). If this is true, the C/D wouldn't be for me and my corns.

Thanks for the input but no thanks for the flaming BS.

Mace

----------------

On 1/15/2004 3:08:06 PM mace wrote:

I really wish all this BS between the two Scott rebuild guys would stop. When I asked the question between the 299A and B it was simply for some mellow, objective opinions from folks who have heard both. It's pure madness that such simple questions get blown into these BS debates time and time again.

I'm very happy with my 299Arev2 (Tube Valley upgrade, then reworked by Craig). I only had a 299Arev1 to compare it with. I've no other tube amp. I find it interesting that the 299A/B was found to be more shrill than the C/D because at times I find the high end rolled off a bit (with the "loudness" turned off). If this is true, the C/D wouldn't be for me and my corns.

Thanks for the input but no thanks for the flaming BS.

Mace
----------------

What or who is Tube Valley?

Thanks,

----------------

On 1/15/2004 4:12:12 PM sheltie dave wrote:

Vacuum Tube Valley, ye of many little teeths. They are in you neck of the woods, and they charge beacoup for little coup. Before I stumbled on this site, one of their techs was talking $500+ for a rebuild...made me spit my son's binky
9.gif
----------------

For your 299A? Wow, that's some serious green.

Thanks, I'll steer clear of them.

Yep, Vacuum Tube Valley. The guy I bought it from purchased a kit from VTV and rebuilt the amp himself. He claimed to have sunk a total of $900 into the amp!! I can't remember what I paid exactly but I think it was $400 or so (his reserve wasn't met but I worked it out with him via email), plus a tad to Craig for a look over. Craig commented the previous VTV install work was done just fine but some cheapo resistors were used. I had Craig remove the phase inverter circuit, he replaced some cans of some sort (the thing had a hum when I got it, seller claimed it was dead silent when it left him) and he talked me into installing Auracaps. I've no idea if those were worth it or not but I'm quite happy with the amp.

Mace

Wow, after reading all the posts have people forgot to enjoy the music. Seems everyone is splitting hairs.

I have a friend living with my family right now and they say they are pissed at me cause they will not enjoy their home stereo when they move out and leave my three different Klipsch systems.

It seems all of us like Klipsch because it reproduces the music so realistically and the Scott equipment makes a huge difference in sound over the SS equipment for the most part.

I for one would rather sit down and listen to the music be it a loud rock concert, or Diana Krall in a jazz club, rather than listening to see if this amp sounds too bright, or what difference a pre amp tube is making. I want to enjoy the music after all that is what I got into this hobby for if the first place.

I will say this Craig did a great job on my Scott 340B which now does sound better than my Marantz 2285. Am I going to worry about another Scott amp would sound better, NO.

My original post was just to know what opinions there were on different Scott equipment not to start splitting hairs.

I for one feel blessed that I can listen to tube equipment on Klipsch speakers and the rest of the world does not know what they are missing.

Regards,

Jeff

ps: I have K-horns with Altec 1005 mid range (228B drivers) and JBL 2404 tweeters, La-Scallas, and Heresys.