How would you respond to this statement about Bose from a friend?

lancestorm

My friend stated:

"It's obvious that there is no realistic problem with Bose speakers if the anti-bose can only critisize by inventing goofy songs and calling the company goofy things... It's kind-of like the people who are totally against Microsoft despite the fact that they really are the only option, instead of real critisism they make up goofy parodies, and call the company Micro$loth.

You don't like Bose because they make too much money... not because they are an inferior product, just like the way you don't like Microsoft."

How would you respond? He is SERIOUSLY pissing me off. I am wanting to respond with the following below, but wanted to see what you guys would have to say to his statement.

"The first thing to learn, (name withheld), is not to put words in my mouth. Since you are, I'm going to tell you why I dislike the company.

So it is fun to point and laugh and make jokes at Bose? With the ridiculousness that their marketing and their calling themselves the best speakers, who wouldn't when you know the truth? The anti-Bose are the pro-consumer. There IS a realistic problem because people have taken the time to actually look and test the speaker characteristics! To only sing songs and point and laugh would not be fair, but to have the proof to back it up makes it fine and is a REALISTIC pointing of the finger! Facts and figures...that's not just goofy songs!!! So your example is wrong. Unlike Microsoft, Bose is NOT the only option.

I do not like Bose because they cheat consumers. They tell people that they are the best speakers and systems in the world. People assume they are getting the very best for their money when in fact they could get an equally sounding system for less than half (sometimes even a quarter!) of what they pay. Their 'proprietary technologies' are no technologies at all. It is all snake oil. >:(

lancestorm:

I am going to stick-my-foot-in-it here by attempting to comment on your question. Notice, I did not say "answer" your question? That's because I do not think it is my "place" to actually "answer" it.

Here goes......

You mentioned that this person is your friend. Friends usually do not speak to one-another in such a manner. There seems to be no mutual respect here. -Just an observation.

With that asside, first, let me point out that, although I am not fond of Bose speakers myself, I do think they make some very impressive (albeit, very expensive) products. The Acoustic Wave Machine is one of the best-sounding portable stereos I have ever heard. But, it's cost is three-times more than I'll ever pay for something that could get caught in the rain! With that said, I do not consider myself to be "anti-Bose" (your friend's term).

Bose systems seem to be a good solution for those whom desire to have "something" that they've been told (either by marketing or other friends) "sounds good". Notice I said "told" they are good? I think a lot of the Bose mystique comes from the idiom that, "If I pay a lot for something, then it must be good!" Those of use whom are seriously involved in this hobby know that rationale is hogwash.

Another thing that we hobbyists understand is that if two speaker systems are compared side-by-side, whichever system is played loudest, usually wins. I have witnessed several Bose demonstrations. Perhaps, you have as well? The one thing I noticed is that Bose ALWAYS demostrates their systems at rather high volume levels. Why? I discovered that when you greatly reduce the listening levels of most Bose systems, they tend to fall on their faces! We hobbyists know that the mark of a good system is that they have the ability to hold their own at any volume level. This is important to us hobbyists, but is it really that important to the general public? Probably not. AV Store salesmen have an old saying: "Sizzle Sells!"

To put things into perspective, when viewing things as we hobbyists do, to say that Bose is actually ripping-off it's customers is a bit of a stretch. They have very good marketing and good word-of-mouth business. Sort of the blind-leading-the-blind, if you will. (appologies to the sight-impaired). The folks that choose to buy the Bose systems, take them home and seem to be pleased with them. In essence, isn't that the whole ball of wax? "Spend money on neat toys > bring them home > excitingly plug them in > have an enjoyable experience = Happy Camper?" So what if those speakers are not behaving at the level that you or I expect? Perhaps your friend is not into the hobby at the same level are you? If your friend is happy with their purchase, why not be supportive of your friend's decision? You could be sitting beside them (holding your tongue) and be enjoying the experience with them. Isn't that better than being alone and P-O'd?

I hope you two can work your differences in tastes out and salvage your friendship. Remember, one of the greatest aspects of being an American (assuming you are) is the ability to exercise your right to choose. And, it sounds as if your friend has chosen Bose. Best of luck!

-Picky 2.gif

I admit my tone on the first sentence was not good, just a heated response that I have not made to him yet. Good to read it now, as I'm not so ticked off at his statements and will change it. No relationship to be salvaged, we talk all the time.

Anyways, no he does not own Bose. He isn't even very interested in speakers. His response is to my posting on our own personal-friends forum, one of those Bose songs. He was saying that the anti-Bose only make up stupid songs about Bose because they have nothing to back it up that there are better speakers / better for your money. He made the statement a few months ago that once he gets a high paying job he'd really like to put in some Bose speakers...which immediately got heat from me ;). There was no reasoning behind his choice, just what he has been told. Bose = best. And I am pulling out my B.S. card on him...

We argue a lot, even for the sake of just arguing. But we get along well and that's just the way it is. He won't take any of the bashing personally. Bash away!

Quite honestly I would not respond with an argument at all. Thank him for his opinion and suggest that if he wants to dig deeper than Bose's popularity, you'll be glad to engage in a technical and price/performance discussion. I have, most often, found that when one side of the argument is determined to hold a position regardless of reason and without research, you would be just as well off trying to teach a pig to sing....

I'd ask him how he knows they're not inferior and all that...(same thing with microsoft for that matter). Basically, find out what his criteria is for a good product. If making a lot of money = good, then you've got no hope 2.gif I'd also point out that he's rather bold in claiming anything about bose if he's never listened to it while at the same time not even listening to other products in the same price range. I might as well claim the Honda Civic after $50k in mods is the fastest and best car in the world! Heck, give me a GTO any day! lol

I'd also point him to this link, which provides a very detailed analysis of bose products:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

There is NO realistic problem with Bose speakers as long as people prefer well-advertised brand names and small size in loudspeakers. The small and solidly built Bose Jewels I seriously auditioned, in my home, with the same equipment and the same music, for EnjoyTheMusic.com, which was not printed because of the lawsuit happy Bose Corp. Yet they actually did a good job in the critical musical range and threw a surprisingly wide soundstage by pointing in two directions at once. Just a few days ago, little miss sensitive ears, who should know better about what it takes to make great sound, pointed a picture of tiny Bose loudspeakers resting in the palm of a hand and said those would be nice! Wait until she sees the small panel Magnapans! Many of my friends see my system, say ti sounds nice and yet have tiny little Bose systems!

lancestorm:

I see from your reply that this "arguement" is more of a playfull-thing, not unlike what my best buddy and I put ourselves through. Your first note made this sound much more serious. I am relieved. Thanks for the clarification.

He is proving my point for me by taking a stand based only on what he's been told, not having actually heard them himself. But, as hwatkins points out: Perhaps you can teach a pig to sing?

Seeing how he has his mind made up, I don't think you're going to win this one, dude. Perhaps, you should simply ask him if he needs help installing it? -JMHO

Like j-malotky, I too found your friend's comparison between Bose and Microsoft to be quite laughable.

Have a great one! 2.gif-Picky ("Bose" rhymes with "Blows" for a reason!) LOL! -Just kidding!

Kick him in the nuts, then break his nose, maybe a few teeth for good measure. Then tell him he's an idiot.

Or, if you want to be more realistic, show him how good a good system and then how much Bose sucks. If he doesn't hear the difference, take him to get his ears checked, or maybe he is just dumb or very simple, or both.

I hate people.

----------------

On 1/16/2004 1:21:01 PM kenratboy wrote:

Kick him in the nuts, then break his nose, maybe a few teeth for good measure. Then tell him he's an idiot.

I hate people.

----------------

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about, Ken. You da man! Forget about that realistic nonsense. After we rid the world of Bose maybe we can work together on this gravity problem. I hate constanly having to "come back to earth".

Quite frankly I fail to understand what all the excitement is about.

If he likes Bose and you do not - So What?

I have heard a few Bose systems in my day and actually think they sound quite decent. I have however elected to go with Klipschorns and they will bury any Bose system I have ever heard. That said I can't get too worked up over someone preferring Bose.

If anything I tend to not sweat about my manhood should someone prefer their speakers/car/choice of scotch/preferred operating system over what I have chosen.

Does wonders for the blood pressure.

Sounds like he may be a friend and is jerking your chain mightly (no one would do that to friend, right!!!!) It looks like he's getting the rise he's looking for, LOL! This is of course since he has very little interest in speakers and obviously knows your distaste for Blose.

There are some conundums for which there are no good answers.

"A picture is worth a thousand words." True. But that gem is expressed in words and can not be expressed in pictures. Does this mean the gem is not correct?

Your friend is basically saying that some criticisms of Bose are sophmoric. The argument is thus that there are no valid criticisms. I'm being unfairly attacked. Richard Nixon did this with the Checkers speech. It worked for him.

My approach is to invoke another aphorism. "The proof of the pudding is in the eating." With speakers it should not be who puts up the best rehetoric. It is all the listening.

If someone says they can't hear any difference . . . maybe they can't. I think they would be able to hear if exposed to a good system. If they have preconceived notions they look at how small it is, how stylish. . . there is not much anyone can do.

Gil

I've got a friend also who used to love Bose.

After listening to my Marantz 2220b driving KG4's the only thing he said was something like "Shouldn't have too much trouble getting rid of my Boses...."

He's running Suse Linux 8.0.

This reply was was written with Mandrake Linux 9.0.

Friends don't let friends run Bose....

(However, I do own a Bose Acoustic Wave Radio, a great instant-party-box. Maybe I have Multiple Personality Disorder)

LOL!

After finally returning to work at Be$t Buy (6 month sabbatical trying to rehab my back) I decided immediately that I would make it a personal vendetta to turn every Bo$e customer who walks through my door into a Klipsch customer!

So far, I turned a 3-2-1'er and a Acoustimass 15'er into a Quintet/KSW10 package buyer. Both were very happy I did so.

See, all you really have to do is take your friend to a local Be$t Buy outfit.

Even with our ****ty panel listening systems, it's not hard to demonstrate how much better the Klipsch packages are vs. the Bo$e packages - whether it's micro speakers (Quints are no bigger than Bo$e - and they're easier to mount on the wall with those groovy stand/brackets built in) or towers (Bo$e 601's vs. Klipsch SF-3's? PUHLEEEEEZE!) you really, really, really have to have wooden ears to not be able to hear the difference.

End of argument, right there.