RF-35's Or RF-5's

HTExpert

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the Klipsch forum and need some help/advise. I've been a long time DEF Tech nut for years and am in the process of upgrading my entire home theater system. I am one who seeks the best for home theater, and not so much music. Everybody has told for years I need to look at Klipsch, but for one reason or another I never did. Well I'm making it official, I am now making the switch to Klipsch and I'll never go back to anything else again. I've auditioned all the Klipsch RF series, and was very impressed with each and every one. Here's where my question/questions come into play. I'm torn between the RF-35's and the RF-5's and am begging for help on this. Yeah the RF-7's are nice and all, but I find them too big and bulky. Besides, they're a little bit out of my price range due to all that I still have yet to buy. I'm not real fond of the RC-7 either. I also find it to be a little too big and too heavy. It's just my opinion and a matter of taste. My mission, purpose, and goal is to create a system as good if not better then what I hear at the local theaters in town. I'm trying to eliminate the need of having to go to such a place to experience that level of sound and preformance. Money only becomes an issue due to all I have yet to buy, which again, like I said is also why I'm not looking at the RF-7's. Can you guys please help me? I'm like so bloody lost on this I have no clue on which road to travel down. When I auditioned the RF-35's along with the RF-5's, I found, or at least to me, I didn't feel that one was any better then the other. More so, ones just a little different sounding then the other. They both produced great sound, one providing things the other didn't and vice versa. Which of these two models do you think would achieve my goals? Thanks to all in advance.

You buy the RF-5s.

1) Real wood veneer intead of vinyl wrap

2) 8" horn instead of a 6" horn

3) Goes 3 Hz lower

4) Is 1db more sensitive

5) Weighs 6 lbs. more

6) Will take 150 watts instead of 125

7) Has better internal wiring

Mostly, you should do it because of #1 and #2.

the speaks on question were my first trip to klipschville, they now belong to my son who enjoys them very much. the 5's are a better speak, in all regards, but not by that much, they do however justify the additional expense, but do not make the mistake of going with a lessor center than the rc 7. i originally bought the 3 and the other speaks just overpowered the 3, it was obvious ever time i was in any multi channel format, even though my system was well balanced with an spl, it was still obvious that the 3 was too small, i sold to a fellow board member and went 7 and that was all it took, perfect balance great effects crystal clear dialog, despite its size. once you get the 7 you would never have to upgrade 12.gif

I'm confident that the better choice would be the RF-5's. They would be an easy speaker to live with for a very long time, even if, at some point, your tastes change and gravitate more to music.

Also, I've paired my RF-7's with the RC-3 in my system for, if no better reason, the WAF (wife acceptance factor). While this is a bit of a compromise, I've found that I can live with it my making a slight adjustment (upward) in the output of the RC-3 versus the RF-7's to balance things out. Also, according to my Klipsch dealer, the RC-3 outsells the RC-7, due to size limitations in many people's rooms/setups.

Last month I bought the RF5's, along with an RC35 and RS35's.

I might have liked to get the RF7's instead, but I was unable

to fit the matching RC7 into my system. In any case, the RF5's

sound great and I like them a lot. And they blend in very well

with my twin 2039PC+ subs.

I say go for the 5's.

Dave

P1182735r.JPG

P1182739r.JPG

P1182740r.JPG

P1182745r.JPG

P1182746r.JPG

Gotta say, go for the RC7, I also had the RC3 and big diff with the 7s...

By the by...WS65711, Dave, that is quite the setup!!! Love it, Have you tried moving the RF5s out a bit from the wall to cut out any reflection from the entertainment cabinet, which is very nice by the way! Love that image of Gollum as well, excellent movie!

Thanks for sharing and giving me something to shoot for, as right now my weakest link is my tv, a lowly Sony 27" but all I can fit without a complete renovation and the WAF is quite low on that score, not to mention funds for a nice wide screen anyways ;)

G2

Thanks for the compliments, Antagon & Gary.

Actually, the front of the entertainment center is 30" from the wall,

while the front grille of the RF5's are 28" from the wall. The SVS

are pushed back a little closer into the corners.

Before I upgraded to the Klipsch, I had JBL S38II's located inside the

cabinet where the grille cloth fronts are on the cabinet doors. That

was to conform to a directive issued by the WAF. She wanted less visible

speakers in the room. I finally convinced her that floorstanders would

sound better, and besides, I needed more space inside the cabinet for AV

associated "junk". One day I'll get around to swapping out the grille

panels with the solid wood panels.

I've been into audio equipment (mostly open reel tape) since I was about

12. The HT setup in the pictures just happened in the past 14 months,

beginning with the Mits. Then guys at the office bugged me to get surround

sound to match the TV. And so it went.

But my open reel tape (and turntable) are long gone . . .

• 1 month later...

the '35'-series by klipsch is an excellent VALUE, so if you go that route, i think you will be pleased...having said that, if you can pony up the $$'s for the rf-5/RC-7!!/rs-7 combo,you WILL get better sound.(and better LOOKS-love REAL wood veneer,available in cherry,MAPLE,and black.not as big a diff in looks if you want black)

if you get the rf-5's, PLEASE get the rc-7!

i don't think you can go wrong w/either choice, but when i had to choose, i chose the TOP!!(klf 30)RSW-15 and although the c-7 center is VERY nice, i'm going to eventually 'HornEd-zontalise' a klf-20 into a center channel! my reward-i am ALWAYS pleased w/the performance of my system!

DO NOT SKIMP ON THE CENTER CHANNEL!!

JMO-avman.1.gif

I only recently upgraded to RF7s after a lot of listening and lots of demos. When I compared the RF7, RF5 and RF35 side by side, the RF7s made my decision easy. I didn't have to struggle with which speaker to get, but if I hadn't gone that route I don't know what I would have done. The RF5 and RF 35 certainly sounded different to me although I'm not sure either one shined over the other. At times I would favor the RF5. Then I would change my mind and felt the RF 35 had an edge or at least were just as good and provided more value. I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision but either way, you know you're getting a good speaker. If you get the RF 5, though, follow through and get the RC 7. Yeah, it's big and bulky but it gives voices an authority and richness that's missing from smaller centers.