What is the best center channel ever made <$1000?

probillygun

Looking for opinions here and the reasoning behind your opinion.

My vote is for the Klipsch KV4. I've never heard a center channel to date that could reproduce the dynamics, impact, and strong lower male vocal like this sweet beast. I attribute this to using (2) 8" drivers crossed at the same freq in a common acoustic suspension box with the 2" Alum horn handleing everything else.....damn, why doesn't Klipsch make them like this anymore??!!

What is your fav and why?

IMO the RC-7 is a better center than the KV-4. The tapered array in the RC-7 prevents "lobeing" which gives uneven sound off axis. The KV-4 will not give an even response off axis. The dynamics of the 7 can keep up with the best Klipsch.

My previous speakers were Klipsch Epics. I like the Reference 7 speakers better.

Bill

Guest Anonymous

I like 3 corc's in the front, all timbre matching is perfect2.gif The 2 corns in the rear arenot bad either11.gif Seriously, the best match will be all the same speakers around, but since some rooms cannot handles that try to find OR make the center with the best timbre match. this really does work best for MUSIC, if it is a dedicated HT, no music, than get the best sounding center you can find12.gif

I just "upgraded" my center channel from a pair of KG4's to a pair of Heresy's (to match up better with my Cornwall mains). This decision was based largely on opinions and comments from members of this forum (thanks). I had been condsidering an Academy, but at over $600 on eBay!!?? no thanks. I picked up a pair of Herseys's on eBay for a little over $500, including shipping. They are truely in like-new condition, and sound absolutely great with the Cornwalls. My brother is bringing his Lascalas to visit in a few weeks so we can experiment with a single Lascala center - and other experiments (he lives about 5 hours from me). After that, I may change my opinion, but for now I am quite happy with the Heresy's.

There is alot to be said for three identical speakers across the front. THX requires identical speakers across the front for certification. (There are many additional requirements.)

If three identical speakers is not an option, then a voice matched center with a tapered array is the next best thing IMO. Without the tapered array, the two woofers in the center that are horizontally mounted will provide very uneven sound off axis. There will be seating positions off axis where the sound cancells out. Dialog will not be as clear. This is refered to as lobeing.

I used to own Klipsch Epic speakers. The matching center is the KV-4. Rather than look for one used and save a bundle, I moved to the Reference line. The center handles as much as 75% of the program material. I wanted the better center in the Reference line.

Bill

----------------

On 1/31/2004 1:39:14 AM MrMcGoo wrote:

IMO the RC-7 is a better center than the KV-4. The tapered array in the RC-7 prevents "lobeing" which gives uneven sound off axis. The KV-4 will not give an even response off axis. The dynamics of the 7 can keep up with the best Klipsch.

My previous speakers were Klipsch Epics. I like the Reference 7 speakers better.

Bill

----------------

Well it's a trade off really. I don't care for the sound of the horn in the RC-7. The KV-4's drivers work simultaneously for a reason. That's what gives it the "Impact" that the RC-7 doesn't have.

----------------

On 2/1/2004 12:22:59 PM smilin wrote:

I like 3 corc's in the front, all timbre matching is perfect
2.gif
The 2 corns in the rear arenot bad either
11.gif
Seriously, the best match will be all the same speakers around, but since some rooms cannot handles that try to find OR make the center with the best timbre match. this really does work best for MUSIC, if it is a dedicated HT, no music, than get the best sounding center you can find
12.gif
----------------

So I should sell my CW's and buy an all LaScala HT? Or maybe I should build a heptagon room and incorporate Khorns?

I'd have to vote for my KLF-10 CC that I built about a year ago to replace a C7. Bought it as a scratch & dent for about $165 delivered and then bought bucking magnets from Klipsch, so total investment is under $300 and it has AMAZING sound and keeps up with the 30's up front no problem.

sub 1000 bucks--best center. Definitive Technology C/L/R/ 3000. bang for the buck, you can't beat it. check the stats, and go listen to one...amazing. BUT!! you need timbre matched speakers or they all will sound "wrong" when combined with whatever towers you have.

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/clr/clr.html

C/L/R 3000 Specifications: Dimensions: 25"W x 8 5/16"H x 16"D. Response: 19-30 kHz. Nominal Imp.: 4-8 ohms. Rec. amp: 20-400 watts. Built-in sub amp: 150 watts RMS. Drivers: 10" sub, 2 cast-basket 6.5" bass/midranges, 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter. Auto On/Off: Signal sensing. Finish: piano gloss black or golden cherry. Tri-wireable. Retail: $999 ea

Audio Video Hi-Fi

Grand Prix 2002

Center Channel

Speaker-of-the-Year