Here goes....the best HDTV?

stream

Okay guys, here we go.

I was in Best Buy the other day, and started looking at the large-screen HDTV sets. I'm looking for something in the 57' to 65' range, and I want the highest-quality picture I can get. It obviously needs to be ready to go for HDTV, and I want DVI, s-video, component, and composite inputs. The sound on the unit doesn't matter, as I won't be using the TV's built-in sound.

I'm primarily concerned with picture quality/brightness, but the unit's aesthetics (as well as size and weight) will matter a little.

I was told by a lady at Best Buy that Toshiba makes the best projection TV, and they have a 65' Toshiba on their web site for about $2650. Can I do better than that on the price somewhere else? I found another 65' Toshiba on another website for like $2000, so it obviously must be a different model.

I need some help :) Thanks.

-Jesse

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing to keep in mind is to never trust a salesman.

Second thing to do is to go out and look at what is available. There are different technologies being used in the various manufacturers' rear projection sets: CRT, LCD and DLP, etc.. Each of them has its own pros and cons. You need to see them first hand to see which you prefer.

I am going to say the Sony Grand Wega or the Samsung DLP. Both are great units, I went with the Grand Wega II because I prefer LCD over DLP and I got a great price on it. I would be carefull as the GWIII has had many issues with them, BB pulled them from their stores, but CC still sells them. HDTV looks great on the Grand Wega, DVD's looks great, however IMO regular DTV looks poor. Again, just one of the pros and cons that you will encounter.

Do you homework on the pros and cons, and determine what issues if any the TV has encountered. Don't necessarily listen to what people say and advise, what appeals to you and your eye will appeal differntly to others. Most importantly, once you make the purchase don't look back...you made a good investment and a good choice dispite what others think and say.

I do agree with gcoker on this one. IMO, the 40" Sony XBR has the clearest, sharpest High Definition picture. I saw the 40" XBR, the 50" GWII and the 42" plasma side by side to one another when I was in Chicago about a year ago. Hands down the 40" XBR had the best picture. Now this is where the pros and cons come into play. The 40" XBR is something around 300 lbs (correct me if I am wrong), and it does not come in a widescreen (16:9), and it does not come bigger than 40". With that said I turned my attention to the plasma...great picture, 80 lbs, but the issue here was potential burn-in, pixels losing gas, and loss of picture over time. Which made me choose the Grand Wega. No signs of burn-in about 110 lbs, 16:9, and HD looks great.

But as gcoker stated earlier and I will agree, I am yet to see a television that can produce a finer picture than the 40" Sony XBR.

I recently (like last week) bought the Mitsubishi 65" (WS-65713) Platinum series RPHDTV. For several weeks I looked at a lot of HDTVs including DLP and LCD, but I liked the color saturation, contrast and overall picture quality of the projection TVs over the DLP and LCD. I considered the Toshiba 65" but I think the Mitsu was better. The WS-65713 is the same set as their Diamond series 65" last year. This year's Diamond has a much less attractive and less sturdy cabinet. I wanted to place my Heresy center channels and a bunch of other heavy stuff on top, and at 350 lbs, this was one of the few that would allow it (it also has a 20" deep top surface). This set does have the DVI-HD digital interface, and it has card reader for JPEG, MP3 and WMA. The list on the thing was $4800, but I paid $3387 at my local HT Store, by far the best local price. This price was about what I would have paid on the internet including shipping. I am very pleased with the picture now that I have it at the house (the Superbowl in HD was fantastic). IMO for a 65", I would recommend a minimum viewing distance of about 11 feet. If your room will not accomodate, you my want to consider a 55".

I have a Mits 55511 which I bought March last year. Love the pic and cant wait until I get some damn HD programming in my backwoods Oregon town (need to get satellite someday). Only bad thing is, my last years tv doesnt have DVI (which Mits said a few years ago that they saw no future for and so pushed firewire - until after I bought my unit of course). Though Mits promises upgradeability, the upgrade to get me DVI is above $1k (last I heard that is)! I guess I have to hope firewire follows DVI into popularity.

Love the TV otherwise

----------------

On 2/1/2004 11:06:35 PM stream wrote:

Okay guys, here we go.

I was told by a lady at Best Buy that Toshiba makes the best projection TV

-Jesse

----------------

As a former BB employee, allow me to explain:

Toshiba makes the best projection TV for Best Buy's profit margin.

Yes, that's right. All the HT salespeople are ordered by management to answer "Toshiba" whenever someone asks what the best projo is, because Best Buy makes on average 18-24% profit margin on Toshiba projos.

Toshiba makes a decent projection TV, but they are nowhere near the best. I'd rank them about 4th place behind Mitsubishi, Hitachi, and Sony (in that order).

Pioneer was the first to go to 16:9 TVs and does the best with 4:3 TV and 2.35:1 movies. Pioneer uses 72 points for convergence adjustments. Pioneer comes closer to NTSC color right out of the box than any other brand that I am aware of. Pioneer get my vote for RPTVs. Other technologies such as plasma and DLP are not as competetive or nonexistent for Pioneer. Their plasmas are great if you are independently wealthy.

Bill

Samsung new DLP tv's get my vote also. Also available at sears.

I have been very happy!!

Look for the HL "N" series with the new chips..

Some people will argue the the older models..with HL"M" series had a rainbow effect. ( I never saw the older ones to know for sure. Like anything there is always an improvement... I will say this, properly set up as it is in my house people come over and just drop their jaws every time!!)