Are tube amp values on the rise?

Piranha

Ryan,

I have auricaps throughout both my Scotts.

I only know that they sound great and 10 times better than before they were rebuilt. I have not had the opportunity to hear the other types of caps in Scott equipment.

I also have a crisp clean top end. If it could get better in these 40 year old units I would be amazed. As it is, when I first got these amps back, it was like I got a new set of tweeters in the corns.

I understand you have heard all the different types of caps in these units. I had to make a call on parts and asked for auricaps. I bet I could have done worse.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling the total cost of getting a piece of gear up to snuff the cost of a rebuild is misleading and redicules. There are tube costs and shipping cost involved !!

Ryan when are you going to quit using this forum for self promotion and use some type of ethics in your business ? I have tried to sit back and let this stuff slide but you are going over the top here.

I can rebuild Scott, Fisher or whatever amplifier for $175 for any member of this forum in fact if I use parts costing the same as you suggested in another thread I would be less expensive then you !! $36 for parts and $125 labor equals a total cost $161. This is my current bargain rebuild price from here on out !!

Craig

----------------

On 2/9/2004 2:55:08 PM NOSValves wrote:

Calling the total cost of getting a piece of gear up to snuff the cost of a rebuild is misleading and redicules. There are tube costs and shipping cost involved !!

Ryan when are you going to quit using this forum for self promotion and use some type of ethics in your business ? I have tried to sit back and let this stuff slide but you are going over the top here.

I can rebuild Scott, Fisher or whatever amplifier for $175 for any member of this forum in fact if I use parts costing the same as you suggested in another thread I would be less expensive then you !! $36 for parts and $125 labor equals a total cost $161. This is my current bargain rebuild price from here on out !!

Craig

----------------

Which of course nobody wants you to do Craig.2.gif

I have a fisher X-100-C which was rebuilt by someone else with cheaper parts and it's obvious. It sounds great but there's no comparison to the NOSValves rebuilt 299b and I know the fisher is a nice unit.

----------------

On 2/9/2004 3:01:21 PM Brap wrote:

Been running SS for a long time on the Khorns and can't wait to finish my 10WPC PP 2A3 amp to really hear how good they are supposed to sound. Glass is class........

----------------

If the PP 2A3 is as open and dynamic as this SET I have,(which I'm pretty sure) then you are going to be a happy camper.

You'll find out that SS on Khorn's is boring and flat, after the PP 2A3 audition.

You probably won't be too thrilled with SS and Klipsch again, unless you buy the REAL exotic SS amplifiers.

And unless your listening area is really large, boogie-factor shouldn't be a problem with a 2A3 PP.

And you will also gain experience building a kit amp.

And if that really sparks more interest in the circuit topologies, you have attained enough or close enough knowledge to home-brew a tube amp.

Limited by only how much cash you want to throw in to the project.

But OTOH, kit's can be more of a economic outee than a home-brew, depending how deep you go.

My two sense....

Ryan,

Cut the bull you have no special suppliers and your not some big established business you live and work out of your house just like me. I do have wholesale prices from anyone at anytime I just refuse to use 40 to 50 year old surplus parts. You are on the verge of delussion here. Please go buy a digital camera and finally prove your redicules self proclaimed importance ! Your just a closed minded old time tech that has no idea what the public truly wants. It surely is not the cheapest parts available !! Some day you may finally catch on that money is not everything and not all audio hobbyist want the cheapest parts installed.

You know if you had any ethics at all you would at least buy a klipsch product !!

Craig

Ryan,

The my word against yours is the entire problem. I wish you would start proving your bold claims rather then just spout them off a digital camera can be purchased for as little as $50 !!

Oh and please enlighten me as to where these wild date codes are on these 40 year old capactiors please !! There is no date code. Do you make this stuff up as you go ??

Capacitor Markings

Good - All

type 623

.1 MFD

600 VDC

Where the heck do you get 1984 out of the above ?? There are no other markings .

Well, I have a 299-C and am completely happy with it. I know from the Scott website that the 299, 299-A, 299-b use the 7189 output tubes, I had no idea about equivilancy. I assumed the EL84 were associated with higher outputs!

I hate seeing Ryan and Craig bicker between themselves...they both provide outstanding service at great prices (as attested by those who've had restorations done by both men). Sure, they may be competing for our business, but it just saddens me to see them disagree...15.gif

Please, no more disagreements...play nice!2.gif

Pretty simple read between the lines and the problem is clear. I rarely if ever promote or state pricing or particulars about my business on this forum when I was the only rebuilder here I did this often. I have ethics some others do not if you don't see it then I'm sorry. When I did actually post things for sale here and blatantly promote my business I was hammered for it by some members. I said to myself there right in a way so I quit. I feel it is not proper for someone else to do it. I don't ever post a thing about Ryan anymore one way or the other. I just wish he would do the same. His pricing and cost comments are directed at me and if you don't see your blind.

The Guy is here for one reason and one reason only he has now admitted it twice. I have no less then 4 active klipsch speaker systems in my home. Klipsch speakers is what brought me to this forum and Klipsch speakers is why I stay. Ryan is here for business and business only !

BESIDES 99.9% of what he says is BULL**** !if you can't see this you are blind.

Craig

I am just trying to say that the entity that promotes the 400+ rebuild is not Craig or Ryan but VTV! Sure if you replace everything that MAY fail you can get into +++ dollars! Both of these guys offer outstanding values and are superior to the rebuilds of VTV at a fraction of the price. Please consider either of these techs before VTV!

----------------

On 2/9/2004 9:40:53 PM HeritageBob wrote:

I am looking forward to hearing your review on the comparison GFH. I have been thinking of buying a quad of EH's for a while to give my NOS 7591's a rest but I dont want to lose the sound I have grown to love.

Bob

----------------

No problem bud9.gif Im dying to hear what diffrences there are!