Just gimme ONE MORE MONTH........!!!

picky

Yeah, I've got at least another month's work to finish, but the following posts will show you the progress we've made in our little theater. These photos show the wet bar area that is in the aft-end of the room (screen is to the right). Shown in some you'll see one of our RCW-5s in white that serve as our rear channels in our 7.1 system. Also, an RS-7 in black is noticable on the wall representing one of our side channels. I hope you all enjoy the photos. I need to drastically update our web site now! Yikes! 6.gif

-Picky 2.gif

Photo 65.jpgpost-10177-13819252068616_thumb.jpg

Dooooood... I don't like you anymore. Envy is a horrible feeling. J/K9.gif

You do some fantastic work. But I have a couple of thoughts. 1) if you would quit all that damn drinking, I'm willing to bet you would have been done a long time ago and 2) You can come on over anytime you like and do my kitchenett that I someday still need to do.

Very nice work my friend, very nice work.1.gif

Hey! Thanks for all the replies and the great kudos!!! 1.gif

j-malotky:

I was sort of going for a slightly industrial look (stainless steel) with a touch of class (darkwood work). I made a killing on the stainless. I live near Detroit, so there's a lot of industry around here. The sheet is about 4 feet long and not quite 24 inches tall, so roughly, I was searching for a 2x4-foot sheet. Most restaurant supply places wanted between $125 and $250 bucks for the sheet. I went to a bulk steel factory supply company and they sold me a sheet of 18 gauge stainless 6 feet long and 3 feet wide for $35 BUCKS!!!!!! 3.gif I cut it myself with a 30 TPI metal blade in my Porter Cable Scroll Saw. I also had to make cutouts for the two electrical outlets. Worked like a charm (thanks goodness). I bought the steel last winter. Prices just shot up 30%-40% just over the last three weeks. So, I am glad I bought it when I did! {PHEW} As for the wood, it is red oak, with Rosewood water-based stain and 3 sanded coats of clear satin varathane. I'm glad you like it.

I hadn't considering using my RSW-15 sub as a drink mixer but what a great idea! 3.gif It would be handy to use as it is on a damped platform on the floor beneath the counter holding the microwave. There it sits directly behind our theater seats, so persons seated their really FEEL the bass! 10.gif

m00n:

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful!" 9.gif Thanks, man! From seeing all of the wonderful work you have done yourself on your own projects I take your words as a HUGE compliment!! 16.gif Thanks! I still consider my carpenter's skill-level as just a "weekend warrior". But, your words do mean a lot. Also, you're probably right about all the drinking!! 3.gif C'Mon over and help me finish so I can get back to (HIC) work! Next time we're out West I'll be sure to bring my hammer and give you a hand, dude! ...I wonder if it'll be alright in my checked luggage? Hmmmmm...........?

gtDark:

Thanks. I'm glad to hear you like it. The Glenlivet sign was a gift from some great freinds of ours that made a trip out here to see us last year from Nevada, where we used to live. At first, we didn't think it was going to fit the wall, but it made it by 1/2" on each side! WOW! That was close! 6.gif Actually, I too have about twice the booze that you see displayed. We have a rack in our utility room with about 3 shelves filled with a lot of other whiskies, wines, liquors and Schapps, etc. I didn't want to clutter it up too much as the bar isn't very long. Bombay Sapphire! IS there another gin???? Great stuff! 9.gif I like Gin & Tonic. But, my favorite is: Long Island Ice Tea

Thanks everyone! -Picky 2.gif

Bombay is my favorite so far, but I'm trying new ones constantly, I usually have about 3 bottles of different gins at one time so I can A-B them 1.gif. Good find on the stainless. SS is the main raw material the company I work with uses, so I have taken home some nice pieces of "scrap" in the past. One of them I actually intended to use as a splashback, but never really got around to it. I also have a nice 12 gauge SS mousepad 9.gif. I definitely like your room downstairs, must be a real treat to entertain in such a nice setting.

Again, very nice work! I too am/have been doing some remodeling in basement, I will post as soon as I get my buddies Digital camera. Our bar isn't quite finished yet but I definitely got some more ideas looking at yours :)

About your fridge, is there any room behind it? I had made a space for mine but afterward thought of airspace? Do you need extra room or can it just be slid up to the wall?

Explain your lighted shelf.. looks very cool, what did you use for that?

Thanks.

gtDark:

Bombay Sapphire is the only gin that I can stomach drinking straight, although I seldom do so. It's just that smooth. I'd love to see a picture of that 12-gauge stainless mouse pad! 3.gif How cool! You are correct: It is a huge treat to have this room to entertain in now. Our "big debut" (even though there is still work to do) was Super Bowl Sunday. There were 12 of us (standing room only) enjoying the room and the screen. Thanks a lot for the good words! 2.gif

Joe Shmoe:

Thanks for the compliments! I have been staring at this room now for 1-1/2 years and it's great to now see it through (everyone else's) fresh eyes, if you know what I mean. I think it's terriffic that you were able to get some ideas from my work.

> About the fridge: It's a Sears Elite 4.9 Cu. Ft. compact fridge. It's about 1 inch away from the rear wall. That allows room for the cord to plug into the outlet right behind the unit. Thankfully, Sears was smart and provided a 90-degree plug. There is a slight gap to the left, right and top of the fridge and the adjacent oak trim pieces. This seems to provide enough ventilation and airflow. I love this fridge becasue there is no freezer in it. That allows it to hold more beverages (it has a lot of glass shelves). We have an upright freezer in the ulitity room adjacent the theater, so we store ice in there and just use the ice bucket on the bar. Basically, I just slid the fridge in under the counter until the face was flush properly with the cabinet. I don't think the room behind it is an issue for this installation.

> About the light box: It's a plain, 4-foot florescent black light (ultraviolet) tube, which I have had for 35 years, since the psychedelic 60's, when I used it to illuminate my black light posters during my high school years!! GROOVEY BABY!! 10.gif It is mounted in a standard, 48-inch florescent fixture that sits on the bar counter. Then, I built a 4-sided particle board box around the fixture that was 5 inches deep (front to back) to enable it to have the depth of hold up to half-gallon sized liquor bottles. The height and length are such that they compleley contain (surround) the lamp and the fixture. I topped it with a sheet of 1/4"-thick clear plexiglass (Home Depot or Lowe's has it). There is about a 1/2 inch gap inside between the top of the tube and the bottom of the plexi. I then laminated the outer face of the box to match the countertop. The wiring is all hidden beneath. It was actually fairly easy to construct. Just pay attention to your measurements and the clearances you'll need to the fixture and bulb. Good luck!

Thanks folks! -Picky 2.gif

Picky-picky,

I live in Davison, which is about 25 miles North of Clarkston. Glad to see another Michigander on deez here boards!

I remember some of the pics you posted as you were in the very beginning stages. All I can say is, "Wow!" Nice job. Your basement continues the overall nice look of your house. I recall the outside looking very neat and tidy.

Go Wings!! Goodbye Hasek!!!

David

dkp:

From Davison, eh? Know the place well. It's beautiful. Lots of trees. We have friends that live next to the park entrance. There seems to be quite a few Michiganders on this forum as well as a lot of our neighbors in Ontario. I'm in Allen Park. This is by far the best forum I have been involved with. Thanks for your kind words. Yeah, Go Wings and goodbye Hasek. And as of last night's game with San Jose, Joseph re-injured his ankle that he'd had surgery on during the off-season. Doesn't is figure that Manny Legacy, the best back-up goalie in the NHL, is again, the star-of-the-show for the Wings? And he earns less than 1/6th of what those other guys make! GO WINGS! Thanks.

-Picky 2.gif

Sorry for the late replies, as I have been away for about a week.

michael hurd:

Thanks, man! We'll look forward to meeting you when you are able to make the trek out here. I'm sure we'll have lots to discuss about the whole home theater hobby, not to mention that fact that we live in very different but neighboring areas (Ontario and Michigan).

jorgen:

Thanks, but my wife has become so attached to viewing movies and televison in our theater that she'd probably give ME up before she'd turn loose of the theater! 9.gif

Thanks guys! -Picky 2.gif

• 3 weeks later...

TheEar:

SVS's? Geez Ear, I just spent the rest of my money on all that booze! (HIC) 9.gif

Thanks for the good words, Ear! 16.gif

Seriously, if I bought any more component right now the wife would make me sleep in the garage! Give it at least one year.....maybe two. 11.gif

-Picky 3.gif