Got some LaScalas finally

Johnny TN

Ok I've had them less then 24 hours and they are great ! Looks like I got some 1978's..full black grill, AA networks, etc etc. They sounded so nice on the seller system ($$$$ separates) compared to my poor onkyo receiver. They still pump and sound so clear, but man are the bigger then I thought :) Oh well. My joke to the wife was we need a bigger house...she didn't complain about that :)

My poor reference surrounds and center..RC35 and RS25 are getting drowned out.

I always wanted someone to "hide" the little Bose cubes in these.... The turn on the La Scalas..for REAL sound..LOL..

Sorry, been a while since I cranked on Bose.. Any of you who have been in the Bose showroom theater, know what I am talking about.

They look great, congrats, and no one will know what they are with the full speaker grill covering everything up too. Way cool!!

Klipsch sold very few with the full grilles...and not a whole lot more with just the H/F section grilles...back when I worked there...mostly because most purchasers loved the look of the folded horn/doghouse on them...it made em look "bad to the bone" The company first came out with a grille kit for the H/F section which consisted of "screen-door" trim and grille cloth...no kit was ever offered for the full grille look that I can remember. One of the drawbacks to the full grille is that there is NOTHING to support the cloth in the bass bin, except the front edges of the plywood of the cabinet...which makes it easy to punch through the cloth or for pressure against it to cause it to stretch and sag. The cloth was stapled to the front edges on full grille models, then covered by tacked-on screen door trim. When the upper grille kit came out later on, while I worked there, it consisted of the trim (quarter round)for around the cloth-covered panel, and the panel itself...previously, the plant just stapled the cloth on there too, then covered the stapled edges with screen door trim.

Congratulations. You bought them the right way - getting a test listen before purchasing. You just can't get burned that way. But I cannot help but feel sorry for the original owner, forced by whatever circumstances into selling his 25 year old Klipsch speakers.

Johny, way to go on these beauts! You are running into the identical situation I passed through. These speakers are a magnitude better than what you have listened to, so what previously was passable is now painful. Your old receiver will get banished before too long if you follow a similar path.

I had a couple Crown amps that I loved beyond belief that were axed. My twin powered HK 630 from college days sounded good, so I moved it in for the La Scalas. With all the tube heads here, I picked up a Scott 299C, and had my second religious experience with Klipsch speakers. Wow!

I followed two basic tenets. The first was every change I made stayed in the system for three months. This allowed me to really figure out if I liked the change, or if initial impressions remained true. Too many people without a great deal of audio experience change something after a few days to a week, and don't learn anything in the interim. I also have not modded the speakers in any way. It seems futile to chase after speaker improvements until you have settled on a stable system.

The second tenet was to stay cheap(or lower priced) whenever I selected equipment. When I looked for a good solid state receiver, I was considering the Monarchy 70M? Classs A for about $700, or Fini's Harman Kardon 430 for $35. The HK got the nod, is an incredible vintage receiver for the price, and left me over $650 to spend on my first tube amp when the time came. Used was good, in this case.

There is tons of good advice on the forum. You probably will end up listening to most everything, so take your time, spend wisely, and enjoy the trip1.gif

Thanks for all the positive responses ! Great board w/ great members.. and yes I am already looking into tube amps. I would like however to keep my existing Onkyo601 for the time being. I does not have any preouts for the speakers though, so I'm really bummed about that. My hope was to run the La Scala's only with a small tube amp and have the receiver run the rest of them in the HT mode...Any help would be great.. I'm a newb when it comes to this.

you must of been the one he was talking to in LA right ?9.gif

yeah we were going back and forth on price and finally came to a middle ground. He's a good guy..someone offered +400 what we agreed on, but he stayed true..dont know if that was you or not.I feel really lucky to get this set.

----------------

On 2/11/2004 1:41:02 PM Johnny TN wrote:

you must of been the one he was talking to in LA right ?
9.gif

yeah we were going back and forth on price and finally came to a middle ground. He's a good guy..someone offered +400 what we agreed on, but he stayed true..dont know if that was you or not.I feel really lucky to get this set.----------------

That was me. I am glad a Forum member got them. And you are closer than I was anyways. San Rafael is as long drive from South Orange County. I will just have to be patient to find a nice pair closer to home. The Bay area would have been a long way to lug 125lb. speakers. Enjoy them! They are beauts, that's for sure.

Congrats to a new fellow La Scala owner. I've had mine for 20 years now and I love them as much today as when I first bought them. The night I picked them up from the NEX warehouse the attendant asked "What are you going to do rock a disco?" I smiled and said no just a neighborhood. I lived in Japan then so they made a big splash.