Help with "Little ***" LB-76

Daddy Dee

HDBRBuilder,

I had forgotten that those parties were reffered to as Harvest and Planting festivals!! LMAO At the last one Gwin and Judy got my Dog Pasted. Danny's old Dane (Cloud) had a litter of pups with a German Shepard, and I had one. It was hilarious...his front legs could walk but the back ones couldn't...butt kept falling down and dragging the rest of the dog with it!!!

The rebuild shop sounds great, I hope you make it work.

The way I remember the story, Bob had the Oak LaScala built specifically to to go in his house with his Oak K-horns and to sit under that octagonal 12 foot tree of life stained glass window. It may have been in Pauls house at some point, but I have no memory of that. It would have looked horrible in Paul's living room. The Bell was much better for Pauls room.

Me...I am in Huntsville, Alabama, and work for Boeing on the National Missile Defense program. I worked in Greenville, Tx after Klipsch for a company building cold war spy planes, and moved from there to Huntsville, Al with McDonnell Douglas to work on the Spacelab program. I had a short stent with the Gabriel Shock absorber company in Tennessee. I Travel a lot for Boeing, all over the US, and have made trips to Scotland and the Kwajalein Atoll. Married with 11 and 8 year old kids.

Life is Grand!!!9.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 2/12/2004 3:10:59 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

There is one in Indy... Downstairs where Trey Cannon is. It is really cool to see up close. How many times have we all tried to explain where the speaker is and how the filded horn works to someone only to get "deer eyes stuck in the headlights" staring back at you?? LOL

----------------

I called Trey, he says there is not one in Indy. He sounded very sure of himself. Maybe there is some confusion as to what the LB really is.

Tony

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3077801310

Here's the link to the Ebay cutaway Khorn.

Tell you what... It strains my brain to do the mental gymnastics to follow the sound path through the Khorn. I can't even imagine my being able to build one. Wish someone would do an animation to help the ignorant. It is taking longer than expected for the Klipsch forum to stamp out ignorance.9.gif

I have thought of making a 3D drawing of the KHorn like I did with the LS, but I don't know if I could pull it off. There are enough KHorn owners here that might like it as wallpaper though. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Marvel

Dee, I try to imagine everything audio and electrical translated into plumbing - something I have dealt with for a long time. You start out with a forward firing 15" woofer. The folded part comes in after the conventional part. The sound wave bounces off a face panel and starts the tortuous journey toward the back. Every time the sound wave goes through a fold, the exit area doubles, so the relative volume of the air moved doubles, without any significant decrease in quality of the sound wave.

The fold is both the direction change and the doubling of the volume. I am not sure of the geometric angle changes and exponential increase ratios, but the concept is very simple. The genius part is being able to think through the physics of the soundwave, taking advantage of the natural amplification and paying attention to the physical limitations of the woofer materials and sound characteristics.

Paul then had to fold the exponential increase design into the cabinet. I'm sure he made quite a few until he got the angles correctly figured, and then he had to train a couple knuckleheaded carpenters and engineers how to build the dam things in a time efficient manner, which is the most difficult thing of all. Thinking in three dimensions and understanding the hows and whys of not making mistakes is the absolute hardest thing to dial in!

Because air has essentially no mass, there would not be a corresponding pressure and velocity drop with each volume increase. He even correctly figured using external walls would give the khorn an additional 6-8 dB boost by using both vertical walls and the ceiling as the final three enclosures of the speaker. If there are three folded increases internal to the enclosure plus the wall boundaries, the identical woofer in the khorn, compared to the Cornwall, would move 16 to 30 times as much air volume. This is the "room loading" the khorn accomplishes.

The key to correctly doing this is understanding the physics of the sound wave, and getting the angles correct. Hopefully Andy, Mr. P, and some of the wizards can chime in with some of the specifics and get the numbers a little tighter. Don't try to think at too high a level - you can induce migraines trying to get it all at once!2.gif I hate migraines, so I avoid thinking...

I will try to do a half-arsed drawing that kinda describes how the K-horn bass bin works over the weekend, maybe that can help some of you folks out who have difficulty figuring it out...but here is an analogy:

1. imagine you are standing on a stool in a room corner, but facing AWAY from that corner...and blowing into a horn...YOU are the DRIVER...

2 the horn goes forward from your mouth, then splits, with part of it going upward, and the other part going downward....both parts flaring as it gets further from your mouth.....

3. now the upward part of the horn turns back over your head so that it is blaring out behind you...the lower part of the split horn that was going downward bends to the rear too, but goes under the stool you are standing on...again blaring behind you....

4. now BOTH of these horn mouths grow together into ONE big horn mouth behind you, whereupon they hit the room corner behind you and the soundpathway bends in that corner and comes around both of your sides firing in the same direction you are facing...

That's how it works!

OK...remember that you asked for it!!!

This is the night I met PWK...I was VP of our Mississippi State IEEE chapter and envited Paul to speak. I was stunned when he said he would come. That lead to my employment with Klipsch.

Me far right,John Fricks - Klipsch sales rep (teretory = East of the Rockies, West of the Mississippi River, Canada to Mexico), PWK, Fellow officer I don't remember and don't care, Jack Fountain - Klipsch International sales rep, Fellow officer I don't remember and don't care (Jeez - I hope these guys aren't part of this forum!)

Curtis, this is me sanding on the doghouse of one of the two pairs of oak LaScala prototypes I built a bit over a year ago. The guy who started this thread purchased a pair of these oak cabinets almost a year ago...the following pics are ones he took of the LaScala cabinets he purchased that I built. Notice in the pics that these oak LaScalas have MITERED edges instead of butt joints...no nail-holes showing anywhere except on the back and bottom either. This is what I want to "semi-retire" into doing in the next few years.

post-9310-13819252099692_thumb.jpg

When I built these oak LaScalas, my intent was that they would have no grille cloth panels on them, so that the match in grain of the H/F section to the tops would be readily apparent. This pic is of the top right front corner of the cabinet as you face it, showing the grain match between the top of the cabinet and the front panel (H/F motorboard). The black in this pic is the top right portion of the K-400 horn lens mouth, as you face the cabinet.

post-9310-13819252100122_thumb.jpg

The buyer of these cabinets chose to add upper grille panels to them, but in this pic you can see that the cabinets were built so that the H/F motorboard was a vertical centerline bookmatch in grain, even though the grille panel covers most of that H/F motorboard panel....not only was each speaker built as a bookmatch along its frontal vertical centerline, but the pairs were also bookmatched to each other.

post-9310-13819252100852_thumb.jpg

In this full frontal pic of one of the oak cabinets, with its upper grille panel removed, you can better see the vertical centerline bookmatching of the cabinet construction. The second one of this pair is identical to this one in every way. The way I had to build these, it takes about three times as long to do it as it would have taken to build a pair of K-horns. The most time-consuming part was ripping out the separate panels from 4' x 8' sheets of oak-veneered plywood so at I could get exact centerline matches...combine that with the extra hassle of having to pre-finish the doghouse and other inside surfaces of the bass bin PRIOR to assembly, while leaving UNFINISHED surfaces that were glue surfaces FOR that assembly...and it really took up lots of time! The reason I chose to prefinish those particular surfaces PRIOR to construction was so that the glue squeeze-out at those joints would NOT be absorbed into the oak veneer wood grain...especially since it was OAK, and is a bear to get the glue residue out of the grain prior to application of the finish! This was so that the stain of the finish will go into the WOOD and not just over the remaining glue residue...leaving an unsightly glue line after the finish is applied! Was it worth the extra time and effort?...I think so, but YOU be the judge! Eventually, I will build a pair of PECAN LaScalas for myself! Maybe even a trio of them, so that I will have a pecan LaScala for a center channel between the two pecan K-horns I plan to build for myself later on! 2.gif

post-9310-13819252101622_thumb.jpg

"This is what I want to "semi-retire" into doing in the next few years."

Andy, please save my email address and phone numbers that I am going to PM you. You have a customer waiting for you to semi-retire.

Kind Regards, Gilbert

By the way, reading the post in this thread was a real treat. I enjoyed it immensely. Because of the way this thread started out, I don't think I'll ever get the little bastard out of my head. Cheers.

Andy,

You have obviously improved the craft. The prefinshing to prevent glue absorption makes a drastic difference in the looks of the cabinet.

Do you remember the brace we worked with to brace the side wall to the dog house? It made a drastic difference in the bass response at 150Hz. If you could incorporate that into your next project it would make a big difference in the sound. It really tightens the bass if your customers will go for it.