Older khorns past it ?

6J5

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jazzman, there are differences, and there are differences.

Michigan vs UK

'90s era vs '72

different crossovers, drivers, build quality

straightforward asking price up front vs visit to the dentist

2/3 of PW initials

scarcity in country

All in favor of higher price for the UK sale...

BTW, congratulations on the first post I've seen from you not on a thread where you are selling something. This is only an observation, not a slam. Soon you might be bold and expand beyond posting a sales thread or rueing about a sales thread2.gif

Yes, but you can cast a cynical eye BigBusa's way, and you will notice that he has gotten into the swing of things. Life is too short to worry only about what you are going to buy or sell, and most forum members really have great antenna for wanting to bust chops on people who roll upon these shores to only sell and/or make money. I will end up selling (and buying) a lot of equipment here, but hopefully it will be done in the context of being a member who has far more interest in the organic whole than my macroscopic universe. Saw a Lakers game a few days ago, and I find myself eating granola and pondering Zen philosophy as I sip my cha.2.gif

Karma is a good thing...

Jazzman, a slightly different approach would have quickly netted you a very solid $3 to $3.5 grand for those speakers, if they had PWK's actual initials. It is so far in the haze I can't remember. If you had lurked for a while, you would have noticed who had what and a current Khorn owner who posted frequently could have given you good advice on the side before you opened yourself to the forum.

On the second issue, this is a thread about a friend across the sea in England who is pursuing a new to him set of Khorns. It really is a happy thread more than one to grouse over pricing. I'm not trying to throw rocks, I just noted where the perponderance of your posts fall. If you have a lot of non-Klipsch stuff you would like to sell, Audiogon will get you all of this forum plus quite a few more. The larger audience will provide you with a larger clientele, and it is much easier to post photos, etc. $$$ will follow faster.

Now I have done it. I offered you a little help, so some good karma will roll back my way. And if you want to calibrate me, don't work too hard. I make all sorts of stupid posts2.gif

I can hardly wait to see what those show up looking like.

I won't go into specifics, but I think some of the comments in this thread that make assumptions regarding build and sound quality of the newer Klipschorns to the older ones are reaching a bit. I went with new ones because I WANTED the MDF, as well as the new drivers and networks. I thought I might prefer a baffle more solid and inert, as well as networks designed with state of the art modeling programs. Personally, I wouldn't want a pair of Klipschorns any older than 1980.

Dean, I'm one of those strange people who actually prefer the cast horns rather than the composite. Part of the reason I default to the older '70s speakers is the enthusiasm that workers had for "their" speakers. I don't see much love from the more recent builders on the forum, while Andy can go over hours, and Mr. P also obviously loved working at Klipsch during their golden era. I have not heard the brand new Khorns, but they are surely up to snuff!

And Jazzmansounds, the karma tag I added at the end of the one post was not directed at you, but was a Phil Jackson quote. It was part of the Lakers stream of consciousness flow of the thread. Now, if you thought it was coming at ya, maybe you should take a look at your current sate of karma2.gif We all like having good ones1.gif

By golly all interesting stuff but cool it down guys..they are only speakers .. good ones.

As I said before I have '01 La Scalas and they seem to deliver the goods - sure, xo caps looked cheap before I changed them all to Jensen PIOs (albeit Al Klap does not like them) and came in cardboard boxes rather than wooden crates and the manual was even a cheaper two page leaflet not to talk about internal wire quality which was also replaced quickly - but then again I've never heard the older horns long enough to compare. The '72s were demo'ed with mediocre equipement so did not sound as good as my LaScalas but I have to give the old ladies of 72 the benefit of the doubt.

Metal vs. composite mid horns was a favorite thread some time back so let's not touch that one unless you must enlighten me

with things other than rope caulk.

Interesting though ,all said, that some of you would still rather take the safer route and go for the newer generation khorns something I was originally inclined to do - but I must listen to opinions.

George

"Part of the reason I default to the older '70s speakers is the enthusiasm that workers had for "their" speakers. I don't see much love from the more recent builders on the forum, while Andy can go over hours, and Mr. P also obviously loved working at Klipsch during their golden era."

What "more recent builders" have been posting on the forum? I'm somewhat under the impression that Klipsch might not want the employees posting on the forum. I certainly don't think anyone should be drawing conclusions related to their work ethic, attitude, or "enthusiasm" level from silence. At any rate, I think the quality of the products say plenty.

The attention to detail on my Klipschorns is readily apparent -- they are perfect. Whoever built them obviously took their time to make sure they were done right.

As an aside, something that really irks me is thinking back to all of those threads when Heritage went out of production. The speculation that the line was dead, not coming back -- and the pissing and moaning was relentless. So Klipsch and Delgado finally present the most refined Heritage products ever produced -- and who's buying them? If they ever go out of production again -- it will be because of a lack of "enthusiasm" from the supposed "faithful" -- not from an assumed lack of enthusiasm from those that build them. I see these threads as irony at its worst, and if production ever ceases again, well -- the fault, dear Klipschheads...

Dean,

First off...I never said anything about sound quality of the new ones...and I also never said anything about build quality of the new ones. READ what I said...I PREFER veneer over lumbercore plywood more than veneer over MDF. My references to the builders had to do with BUILDING EXPERIENCE...which, in SOME cases MAY have alot to do with build quality...especially in a complex cabinet like a K-horn Bass bin...where, unless you rip it apart, you will never know how well it is put together...there are VERY many things that you just can't SEE relating to that complex of a cabinet....so the boss has to rely on trust that the builders will take enough pride in their work and gain enough experience quickly enough to ensure things are done as they should be. I have no doubt that Klipsch has and will continue to do their best to keep anything sub-par from leaving the plant, just like in the past, but eyes can only see so much. After that point you have to rely on the individual craftsman's pride in the product he/she produces...and the EXPERIENCE OF that craftsman. I also have no doubt that Klipsch has been working to instill that pride into the new employees that were hired on when production of the Heritage models resumed...and that they are relying on whoever is overseeing that particular segment of the plant to ensure a quality product is made...but EXPERIENCE does not come quickly! There is a big difference in telling somebody to "apply a continuous glue line along this edge, before securing it to this point"...and the builder KNOWING from experience just how wide/thick that line has to be to ensure it is enough...to ensure a good CONTINUOUS squeeze-out, etc...that comes from EXPERIENCE! What may pass inspection today may not hold up over many long years of usage. It is very difficult to take a virtually new crew with ONLY one or two experienced folks in charge and ensure that everything will be right...even experienced builders sometimes had returns in the old days....but it was generally the INEXPERIENCED builders who had the most of them when I worked there...as is NORMALLY the case. Not only that, but each inexperienced builder in the old days had a one-on-one experienced builder overseeing his every move...for at least the first month or so...and often much longer!

When I started working at Klipsch, every single move I made on anything I did was closely scrutinized until whoever was overseeing the particular thing I was learning to do was completely satisfied that I not only COULD, but CONTINUOUSLY DID do as good of, or better a job at the task than HE could do...then I was "on my own". Back then...with One-on-One experienced old hands overseeing new cabinet shop folks...it still took MANY months for those who were EVENTUALLY deemed to "have what it takes" to be let loose on their own...sometimes well over a year.

And to flesh out what Andy stated, if you aren't doing it day in and day out, you lose it. It took me three weeks to paint all of the interior at the old house seven months ago as I had time. It took nine hours to paint all of the new house, with twice the footage. There are all sorts of tricks you forget over time, and there is no better teacher than practice to do a good job, every time.

It seems the biggest problem would be trying to remember which way you can make recoverable errors, and little techniques to make the job easier. I know the build quality on the mid '70s commercial La Scalas is outstanding. They have handled a tumble out of a pickup truck at 65 mph, flipped end-over-end for a quarter mile, and worked perfectly twenty minutes later(to my immense relief.) They didn't even need touchup of any sort, though the aluminum corner cups are still pissed at me to this day9.gif

I saw my first new Khorns tonight, and they look nice. It is hard to ruin basic black, however!