What sort of speaker wire does everyone use?

Klipsch RF7

Hi guys,

Just wondering what brand and what type of speaker wire is everyone using? I was speaking to a guy named Chris VenHaus of VH Audio and i asked him about his speaker cable that he makes, he said that it would easily smoke my Monster Z2 biwire speaker cable, I have a hard time believing that. I mean If you using a good 12guage or better speaker cable with terminated ends, how can you get any better? I mean you are using stranded copper for god sakes, how can you improve that and make everything magically sound better than standard good quality oxygen free stranded copper wire that you buy at the audio store for $2 a ft.

This is what he quoated me on his speaker wire prices.

(Option 1) The parts to make a single-wire pair of 14 footers (9 AWG for + and 9 AWG for -) is:

28 feet of Star quad wire @ $5.99 = $167.72

2 sets of Furutech Gold spades = $79.98

28 feet of 3/8" CleanCut techflex = $22

Total = $269.70

(Option 2) The parts to make a bi-wire set of 14 footers (9 AWG to HF+, 9 AWG to HF-, and 9 AWG to LF+, 9 AWG for LF-) is twice the above or: $539.40

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought 200' of really nice "Wired" Orion 10 AWG braided speaker wire (440 strand) from a guy in Phoenix for $66.50 delivered to my door on two ocassions. He charges $.25 a foot plus shipping.

If anyone is interested, here's his email address: robotunderground@yahoo.com

I initially found him on eBay. He's honest, reliable, and he takes PayPal. 9.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3054358717

I had a HUGE omprovement in sound over the 12 GA Monster cable I bought at Best Buy. And to think I paid $140 for 100' of that.

over the past three years i experimented with different speaker cables....

1. 10 gauge high strand count cable

2. 12 gauge install cable

3. bi-wire with 18 gauge solid wire for the lows and 22 gauge solid for the highs

4. braided cat5 cable per the internet "recipe"

5. 14 gauge install cable

and my current set-up:

6. 14 gauge bi-wire using 14 gauge / 4 conductor install cable.....

the result of all this...... money out of my pocket but no difference that i can hear.... the only good news is that i can get all the various cables at an employee discount at the electronics distributor where i work.....

1.gif

Minn Male,

That is exactly what im talking about, I was reading about the Cat5 braided cable and how everyones jaw dropped and they could tell a huge diffrence in sound from the reviews. I dont believe it at all unless the speaker cable they were using before was complete and utter crap with defects in it.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 5:30:43 PM Piranha wrote:

I bought 200' of really nice "Wired" Orion 10 AWG braided speaker wire (440 strand) from a guy in Phoenix for $66.50 delivered to my door on two ocassions. He charges $.25 a foot plus shipping.

If anyone is interested, here's his email address:

I initially found him on eBay. He's honest, reliable, and he takes PayPal.
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

I had a HUGE omprovement in sound over the 12 GA Monster cable I bought at Best Buy. And to think I paid $140 for 100' of that.

----------------

Thank Piranha, ive added him to my seller list. I think ill order some cable from him and try it out.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 5:50:45 PM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

----------------

On 2/22/2004 5:30:43 PM Piranha wrote:

If anyone is interested, here's his email address:

I initially found him on eBay. He's honest, reliable, and he takes PayPal.
9.gif"

----------------

Thank Piranha, ive added him to my seller list. I think ill order some cable from him and try it out.

----------------

Georg,

No problem. AT the price he charges how can you go wrong?

Get this. My neighbor has some supposed high end $550 Cardas cable. He was fuming after we A&B'd his Cardas and my Orion 10AWG from The Robot Underground. He/we heard absolutely zero difference in quality. As you mentioned, I highly doubt you'll get the drastic difference in sound unless you are using that cheap 10 strand speaker wire you get at the 99 cent store. JMHO however, others may disagree.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 6:58:37 PM Piranha wrote:

Georg,

No problem. AT the price he charges how can you go wrong?

Get this. My neighbor has some supposed high end $550 Cardas cbale. He was fuming after we A&B'd his Cardas and my Orion 10AWG from The Robot Underground. He/we heard absolutely zero difference in quality. As you mentioned, I highly doubt you'll get the drastic difference in sound unless you are using that cheap 10 strand speaker wire you get at the 99 cent store. JMHO however, others may disagree.

----------------

Thanks for that review, that is what I thought all along1.gif My Monster Z2 Biwire will be perfectly fine and dandy10.gif

LOL

Yeah, but the good stuff looks so perty.

So, you guys think a set of speaker cables with low capacitance and high inductance, will interact with the speakers and amplifer the same as a set of cables with low inductance and high capacitance?