Looking for some new rock?

Tillerman

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also have to say The Darkness is a fairly horrible band, unless you think Spinal Tap was the greatest rock band ever. The Darkness definitely come off as being a total joke. I wouldn't put them next to the names of Led Zep and Queen. That's offensive IMO.

Here are a few:

Days of the New

Tool

Hoobastank

Nine Inch Nails

Slipknot

Chevelle

Deftones

Cold

Audioslave

Three Doors Down

Godsmack

Evanescence

Linkin Park

Matchbox Twenty

Puddle of Mudd

Static-X

Mudvayne

Queens Of The Stone Age

Trapt

Kyuss

Desert Sessions

The White Stripes

Radiohead

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

The Strokes

Detroit Cobras

Nightwish

(lyrical almost operatic female and male vocals surrounded by very big and heavy music - the century child album is probaly the only one that you will find in the US and it's fricken amazing. It's the best recorded album I've ever heard. http://www.nightwish.com/ They've got some audio samples on their site to check out. I think I will just shut up now, but I could talk about these guys forever)

Ayreon

(very artistic, good hard groove, kind of happy heavy metal...maybe wierd is a better word. I really like this band and if you're looking for something newer, they have an extremely original and interesting sound. I think they'd be considered fantasy or fantasy metal or something like that.)

Avantasia

(like nightwish, but male vocals and more 80's sounding)

Emperor

(If you're into extremely heavy, harsh, crazy insane metal with the occasional classical influence, then you might like these guys. It's death metal that's actually musical. I'm rarely in the mood for this heavy of music, but when I am these guys are amazing.)

hey little fish with very sharp bitey teeth from the amazon-

Cool list-

Funny thing is I strongly agree with you on 50% of the choices...the other 50%, I either don't know, or hate. Hey the don't knows give me something to check out.

JHawk- I'm also a big fan of Nickleback. Check out Theory of a Deadman, some of the songs were co-authored by Chad. I'm also a sucker for Aaron Lewis's of Staind vocals. Too bad that over exposure to Staind's music tends to make you want to open an artery. 6.gif Shuffle play seems to fix this

One of my coworkers turned me on to Via Satellite by Ian Moore, I listened to it at work and liked the genesis, yes similarity to them, I then went out and got the DVD (****ty) and Live in Austin and his signature album, very very cool

Heres just a few some arent new but may be to you. accept,bigwreck,bigsuger,sevenmary3,megadeth,a perfect circle,overkill, suicidal tendancies, hallows eve, the tragically hip, the headstones, days of the new, infectious grooves,sod,mod, anthrax, exodus, testement, metal church, metallica, tool, smashing pumpkins, sound garden, alice and chains, life of agony, savatage, candlebox, soil, seether, audioslave, chris cornell solo album, rob zombie, zztop(rythmeen), corrosion of conformity, gov't mule, old slayer, red hot chili peppers newer stuff is great, the cult, mad season, mother love bone, stone temple pilots older stuff,black label society, type o negative, I hear good things about flaw and the lamb of god, 40 grit, gardinia, remember wasp, in flames, messeshuga or something, tom petty rules, dry kill logic, Bob dylan, the sweet, the yardbirds, hay the rolling stones they may be new to ya, tantric, any collective soul, i am sure you heard of pearl jam, neal young, the guess who, fleetwood mac has a new one, jimi hendrix plays the blues, Kenny wayne shepperd, The allman brothers got a new one, check out all the led zeppelin if you haven't,the vines, the white stripes, korns new one is pretty good, naked their hard to get a little mellow but good, the mathew good band, nickelback nice crunchy guitars, tesla will have a new one this month, queensryche has a new one out i haven't heard, damage plan (formally pantera)kind of sounds like sevendust, sevendust, static x's new one, unified theory, killswitch engage, socialburn, good news acdc is back in the studios most excellent, dust for life, warrior soul freakin awesome, Machine heads new one is awesome. It isn't out in the states yet but wait and see Yeah! I have had it for a few months. Don't ask and forget everything i said and get the machine head

----------------

On 3/7/2004 1:41:07 AM mike stehr wrote:

"We don't care what you say, F*CK YOU!"

Wheelman, you got good taste!

'cept maybe audioslave. It's like "Soundgarden: Part two". I was never much for Cornell.

Nonetheless, old school thrasher indeed!

----------------

Thanks did i forget my favorite bands, Like metallica and overkill just the new machine head is crushing. I couldn't by any means write them all down not enough computer space. Of course i didn't mention the overly rated nirvana everyone has heard of them for some reason.

most new rock is sh*t. no offense to anyone that likes it because many of my friends do. but its awful. system of a down is alright, toxicity is a great album, but "steal this album" is one of the worst i've heard. all their songs are the same structure, its boring. except for streamline which i love. slipknot over does the whole i hate the world thing. linkin park flat out blows. their lyrics seem to be written by a 13 yr old punk who didnt get hugged by his mom enough. Tool is incredible. radiohead and sigur ros are very good. everyone forgets Rage Against The Machine, great band with a great guitarist. Static-X is awful and boring to listen to as is Cold. most music is really down to hell lately. pink floyd is a classic. A Perfect Circle is pretty good. anybody like 311? then theres deftones.. great band. anyone for Glassjaw?? singer has one weird voice.. but its not something that i can play in the backround... have to focus on it.

oh ya... and punk has gone to waste too. blink 182, simple plan, new found glory. punk is pop now in my book, so its all for money. who remembers millencolin, bigwig, MxPx, NoFX, pennywise, less than jake, reel big fish?? Van's Warped Tour used to be fun.

----------------

On 3/8/2004 11:38:05 AM Just1n20 wrote:

most new rock is sh*t. no offense to anyone that likes it because many of my friends do. but its awful. system of a down is alright, toxicity is a great album, but "steal this album" is one of the worst i've heard. all their songs are the same structure, its boring. except for streamline which i love. slipknot over does the whole i hate the world thing. linkin park flat out blows. their lyrics seem to be written by a 13 yr old punk who didnt get hugged by his mom enough. Tool is incredible. radiohead and sigur ros are very good. everyone forgets Rage Against The Machine, great band with a great guitarist. Static-X is awful and boring to listen to as is Cold. most music is really down to hell lately. pink floyd is a classic. A Perfect Circle is pretty good. anybody like 311? then theres deftones.. great band. anyone for Glassjaw?? singer has one weird voice.. but its not something that i can play in the backround... have to focus on it.

oh ya... and punk has gone to waste too. blink 182, simple plan, new found glory. punk is pop now in my book, so its all for money. who remembers millencolin, bigwig, MxPx, NoFX, pennywise, less than jake, reel big fish?? Van's Warped Tour used to be fun.

----------------

I agree with what you say but your just listing the real ****ty bands is all. Their are some good new ones not many. Do you like seether? excellent for what they are. Yeah i know punk sucks now it isn't punk its puss. How about social distortion. I don't ever remember when music in general was good i always had to search for the good stuff. Underground is where it all begins

after going to college the underground stuff i got from my buddy is lost... he used to show me into some good stuf... i'll check out both those bands you mentioned... PM me with a list if you want.. im open to anything.

and yes i did mention the really *****y ones, but they are the ones that seem to be fairly more popular so more people will know what im talkin about.

• 5 months later...