Opinions on the Mitsubishi big screens?

Arman

Hi all,

What do you all think about this TV?

http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1225&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1529&iSubCat=1540&iProductID=1225

How would you rate it against: http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=964&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1529&iSubCat=1540&iProductID=964

and http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1207&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1529&iSubCat=1540&iProductID=1207

I was going to purchase the Mitsu a few days ago, but due to some unexpected financial trouble(s), I had to postpone the purchase for a month or so. I guess this gives me some time to get some honest opinions.....

Thanks in advance.

-Arman

RPTVs is a pretty mature technology and many brands IMHO have very good RPTVs, like a Hitachi I have. Based on my own experience, i would advise to have the following in mind when selecting an RPTV: for RPTVs convergense/geometry calibration is of vital importance. However not all models allow easy access to the service menu for calibration. There is an old and well respected site that provides ISF calibrators' point of view on which TV sets are better in terms of ability to be calibrated (more flexibility, more convergence points, more tweaks allowed, etc). Here is the link: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm

This should give you another dimension of thinking while picking a good RPTV. You can search there bu the brand and model nimbers to see what are their particular feedbacks.

Just my humble (and somewhat biased) opinion, but the Mitsubishi is a great RPTV. I have had mine about a year now and I love it. I researched RPTV's a lot before I pulled the trigger, and as you can see I ended up with the Mitsu. Nothing eye popping on cable, but HD signals and good DVD's are outstanding. My wife doesn't come down to my "man cave" (HT Room)too often but when she does and I have HD or a high quality DVD on she still occasionally says things like "Wow that is an amazing picture". Lots of choices out there, just take your time and look at a lot of sets before you buy.

Thanks to all for the responses!

I am amazed by the PQ of the Pioneer Elite series, however, I don't know whether to watch TV or play piano on that thing...3.gif (those who have seen the TV will get that 2.gif )

The box of the Elite is not too appealing to me. It's too classic, and I'm an aesthetic man.

I have been entertaining the idea of a 61" Samsung DLP, however, I don't know of the extra $2k - 3k is worth it (I basically watch alot of DVDs). Also, the new batch of TVs will be released in August - and I would be might regretful if those TVs were a better bang for the buck, etc.

Taurus, are you referring to the calibration that needs to be done " out of the box " for optimal PQ? The store manager at a local Ultimate Electronics said that his techs will set that up for me, and take care of me. I hope he was referring to the extended calibration required...

Here is what I've narrowed it down to, SAMSUNG DLP 61", Mitsubishi 65" SilverSeries and the Diamond Series Mitsu.

Keep the responses coming.

most RPTV are very good.....just watch where you buy..the higher end sotres tend to have the better models versus some sold at the big box stores like best buy and sears et al......

every year they change...so it is hard to decide....check out the remote...the features etc...check what it does with 4:3 signals...does it stretch or does it have a special stretch which tries to preserve the center portion of pic...etc etc etc..

Enjoy it too with some good DVDs and a drink or two...hehehe

for the record I have a HITACHI...and I be quite happy.....price wise and picture wise....

Armen,

I bought a 48" MITS last fall - Awsome RPTV's and much cheaper than the DLP. High Definition or DVD is stunning - you'll love. Check out the www.hometheaterspot.com for info - you'll see that the MITS is most popular with a fairly picky group of people. Good luck2.gif

Mits and Pioneer ELITE are the best RPTVs on the market. Mits in fact, stopped making "regular" TVs so they could focus on their RP market. I did my research extensively when I bought 2 years ago and the MITS have one of the best PQs and features of any RP TV--rivaled only by the ELITE line, which was-at the time double the price of the MITS.

If you have the money for the ELITE--save more and look at an actual projector. Get the Mits. You'll be happy.