Looking for my first turntable...

Hi Gang,

I am looking to buy my first turntable. I am going to mate it to my Scott integrated's phono section and run it to my Chorus II's. I have limited vinyls but plan on buying more as I like to browse used music stores and the such.

If anyone has a TT setup they are looking to get rid of or find any solid good buys please throw out some ideas for me. I am looking in the range of $300 or so for a setup, unless I can find a really nice deal that may warrant more.

TT's that interest me thus far are Linn Axis, Rega p2/p3, and Thorens variety. Mostly a black plinth is what I desire, but any color wood base would be acceptable with a nice rig.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

P.S. What does everyone think of this one that caught my eye recently? Seems like older rega technology but its in great condition.. :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=3082694301

Another good table to keep an eye out for in that price range is the CJ Walker model CJ55. I had one for almost 20 years before upgrading to my LP12. Sold it to a good friend who loves it. I've only seen a few of them on Ebay.

hoggy

I have just gone thru major mods to my vinyl system. The biggest bang for the buck was to decouple the drive motor from the turntable. The other major factor was the addition of lead plate, on the TT platter ( higher polar moment of inertia) and in the arm mount. Get a basic belt drive TT and then make mods to it.

Jim N

I have just gone thru major mods to my vinyl system. The biggest bang for the buck was to decouple the drive motor from the turntable. The other major factor was the addition of lead plate, on the TT platter ( higher polar moment of inertia) and in the arm mount. Get a basic belt drive TT and then make mods to it.

Jim N

If you want something new, I can recommend the Pro-ject 2.1 Turn Table. It's basic and built with quality for $300. I'm using one with a Scott 299 and result is very enjoyable vinyl. I have also hooked it up to my Tandberg with positive results. For the money, I doubt the value can be beat unless you're handy and can score a dandy used table. From what others have told me, the Pro-ject 2.1 will hold it's value quite well incase you want to up grade later on.

Heritagebob,

I have a Rega P3 that is being test driven by Smilen. If he is not interested, I can offer it to you.

Black plinth

RB300 arm

Incognito wire

Esspresemino Heavy weight & VTA

Ortofon super 30 cart with alot of life still left in it.

Have the original box & manual.

Rated 8 out of 10, cover and plinth in great shape, the arm has some markings wire th screws hold the cart. Nice sounding table for a starter.

$595.00 + shipping

Bob -

I've had a Sumiko Pro-ject 2.1 for 3 years and it has served me well but then you need a cartridge which will take you over your $300 range. My Grado Ref Platinum was $350. The Rega deal mentioned sounds great but again it is above your range.

Gary -

I've been on lookout for a Thorens 124 or 125 but eBay prices of late are very high. 2 weeks ago a 124 went for $1,275. Audioclasssics.com has a 125 for $199 but they won't come down a penny or package with a cartridge for a deal price.

The 124 isn't for everyone and at over a grand it's no longer the cheap-o world beater it was a few years ago. It also needs a MASSIVE plinth and stand, all new rubber and a ringmat. You also have to use an Ortofon SPU to make these things sing, so you're looking at over $2000 for a nice set up with arm and cartridge and for THAT amount of cash there are LOTS of nice options! But I'll bet for $1300 that one on ebay must have had a 12" SME and some kind of nice cartridge along for the ride!

The Thorens 125 is a helluva performer and $200 seems really fair to me.

That Rega P3 offer sounds nice. A little over what I want to spend, but if its a nice deck (and it does sound nice) then it may be worth the money spent to me. So if Smilin passes on it, keep me in mind next for sure. In the mean time I will keep the search going.

Thorens literally built dozens of models over the years. Most are very well built and will last a long time if properly cared for. I still think a good vintage Thorens is a steal in today's market. If you do go that route (or buy any vintage TT), have it professionally set up unless you happen to have the skills to do it yourself. It's only about $20 or so but it's so important to have the cart properly aligned and the settings correct.