My Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" arrived today

BigBusa

----------------

On 3/9/2004 6:59:08 PM mobile homeless wrote:

BigBusa, that has to be one of the most blatantly ignorant posts I have seen in a long while. You have to go way out of your way to come up with these gems, with or without love of jazz.

Do you really think things are as simple as you paint them here? Has it crossed your mind that you might not be grasping the relation between the notes as they fly over your head?

Apparently, the 600w Monoblocks into 100dB speakers was only a start. Awaiting the next installment with pre-groan. Unscripted clue: Look up the word
improvisation

kh

----------------

Kelly....that is absolutely brilliant!!!!!!!!!! 1.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And one other thing. For those of you who have Kind of Blue on SACD, try connecting your SACD player directly to your power amps, bypassing any 'preamp' control center or receiver preamp stage, if you can still control the gain. I guarantee you a veil will be lifted. Kinda of like opening a clean window. The window may have been clean. But when you get rid of the glass...........

Ironically, one of his most famous instances was caught on tape during the Monterey Pop Festival rendition of the Trogg's Wild Thing where he suddenly broke into a few bars of what famous jazz standard?

Strangers in the night?

Isn't this the same song when he torches his guitar with lighter fluid?

----------------

On 3/9/2004 8:42:45 PM artto wrote:

And one other thing. For those of you who have Kind of Blue on SACD, try connecting your SACD player directly to your power amps, bypassing any 'preamp' control center or receiver preamp stage, if you can still control the gain. I guarantee you a veil will be lifted. Kinda of like opening a clean window. The window may have been clean. But when you get rid of the glass...........

----------------

Right now I have my MkIIIs hooked directly into the SACD until I replace my pre. I'll give it a try. In fact, I already listened to Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane this way and it sounded great. Much better than I expected since the cables out of the headphone jack are cheapos.

I've grown up as a rock n' roll freak, but I have been expanding my jazz collection for the past several years. Kind of Blue was one of the first jazz records to really freak me out. That having been said, how did radiohead get dragged into this thread? Hell, I think the Bends and OK Computer are two of the best and most ambitious records of the 90's. Some of you guys make it seem like dirt-headed swill like Limp Biskit.11.gif By the way, Busa, Creep of off Pablo Honey is quite good at high volume.

To each his own.

Nick.

Hilarious thread.

I have to say that I am no the biggest Jazz fan in the world either. In small doses, on occasion yes, but generally no. In simple terms classical does it for me and Jazz dont. I have no doubt that it is my loss but there you go - cant be helped.

The irritating thing is that I have to make a deliberate effort to put a Jazz record on, and that very process, puts me off. I sit down to listen and find myself pining for something else almost immediately, invariably a classical title.

Interestingly this doesnt happen with Rock - although the instances I play it these days are getting rarer and rarer. If I put on a Rock album (Pink Floyd for example) I can happily enjoy the whole thing without the need to rush to classical.

I guess this is an upbringing thing. I grew up with classical and, after an extended teenage interruption, have returned to it with a vengeance. Now I can hardly face an evening without it.

Yeah,nothing more musically gratuitous and insipid than those shoe staring,teen Angst prophets Radiohead.Why, they're almost God like at their craft!!!

No one quite comes close to s#$%king the unique way they do!Awesome Dude! 9.gif Rock On9.gif

Analogman

oh, gee, I dunno, I think Nirvana might be better at the musically gratuitous and insipid, shoe staring, teen Angst prophet stuff than Radiohead, but you're right, it would be close...

Maybe Pearl Jam? Oh, wait, R.E.M. No, no, I know, A Flock of Seagulls!

"I walked along the avenue.

I never thought I'd meet a girl like you;

Meet a girl like you.

With auburn hair and tawny eyes;

The kind of eyes that hypnotize me through;

Hypnotize me through.

And I ran, I ran so far away.

I just ran, I ran all night and day.

I couldn't get away."