Can cornwalls kick butt ?

BackBurner

I've never heard a pair of corns but if they can take 1000 watt peaks compared to 400 watt peaks of a k-horn, one would think these puppys can pound out the tunes .

Does anyone use high current SS amplification with cornwalls ?

Can corns be pushed ? will they take a few hundred watts without falling apart at the seams .

Just about every corn owner here seems to have tubes , don't you guy's listen to any " moving " rock ? By that i mean music you just have to feel not just hear . I do like the sound of tubes but don't think they are quick enough to respond to todays fast hard hitting rock or gangster rap .

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I for one won't flame you on this one backburner.

I've had cornwall II's with kt-88 audio research tube amps. I'll be the first to admit that metalica and mega death are not the best sounding thru tubes and cornwalls.

Other offerings are hard to beat but " hard core " metal is not one of the tube amps strongest offerings threw the corns.

You will blow the Cornwalls apart with 1000 watt peaks. They say that they can take 400 watt peaks and 100 continuous. But I'd be afraid to put 400W peaks into mine. Besides the fact that you'd likely go deaf quick.

If you want to use a SS amp that pumps 1000W peaks , buy some Bose 901's. They love high power SS.

Or get yourself a pair of LaScala's. They love rock and roll. No need for more than 30 -40W of tube power either. The police will be at your house long before you get close to cranking it up all the way for any extended periods.

The Cornwall is a very good speaker. I happen to own two pairs. I just don't think putting 1000W peaks into them is a wise idea.

Nope. Cornwalls suck with loud, agressive rock and rap. Stay away. My wife, the 47 year old wannabe gangsta listens to quite a bit of rap and the Tannoys are FAR FAR better for this stuff--No COMPARISON. Don't waste your time or money.

The Cornwall is the best speaker I have ever owned for listening to jazz, however . . . .

----------------

On 3/10/2004 12:33:40 AM Piranha wrote:

You will blow the Cornwalls apart with 1000 watt peaks. They say that they can take 400 watt peaks and 100 continuous.

" THEY " in the classic page of this web page " SAY " the cornwall II and cornwall will take 100 and 105 watts continuous .

WITH 1000 WATT PEAKS .

Don't list it if it cant take it !!

----------------

On 3/10/2004 12:46:08 AM BackBurner wrote:

----------------

On 3/10/2004 12:33:40 AM Piranha wrote:

You will blow the Cornwalls apart with 1000 watt peaks. They say that they can take 400 watt peaks and 100 continuous.

" THEY " in the classic page of this web page " SAY " the cornwall II and cornwall will take 100 and 105 watts continuous .

WITH 1000 WATT PEAKS .

Don't list it if it cant take it !!

----------------

OK, I stand corrected. I just find that fact hard to digest. Personally, I'd never try it.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 3/10/2004 12:23:13 AM BackBurner wrote:

Does anyone use high current SS amplification with cornwalls ?

Can corns be pushed ? will they take a few hundred watts without falling apart at the seams .

Just about every corn owner here seems to have tubes , don't you guy's listen to any " moving " rock ? By that i mean music you just have to feel not just hear . I do like the sound of tubes but don't think they are quick enough to respond to todays fast hard hitting rock or gangster rap .

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------

Backburner, don't listen to these guys2.gif corns can and DO ROCK with good SS, my B&K 507 150 x 5 rock my world at 110 DB's 5 corn's singing the tune, bass you feel thru your bones9.gif as someone on this forum has said numerous times

A LITTLE DISTORTION IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL11.gif

and yes, Cornwalls ROCK(just not as efficient as the Khorns, Belles, or La Scalas.....but I do love em10.gif

go ahead, good SS is just fine for corn's

if ya go tubes, ya need mega wattage there too!!! And this is finally from some experience of my own16.gif

My brother is the LaS guy in the family, and I am the Corny. A few weeks ago he came to visit with his las in-tow. We listened to just about everything. In the end, the Las have more of the sound that you would hear in a loud dance club or live rock concert. They don't have near the bass response as the Corns, however. Either way, you don't need a high powered amp to get really loud.

Let's see...I powered my Cornwalls with a '79 Technics SU-8099 integrated amp (115 WPC), a '92 Carver TFM-35x amp (250 WPC), a '93 McIntosh MC7200 amp (200 WPC), and now a '73 McIntosh MC250 (50 WPC). I've driven my Cornwalls up to 120dBs peak max, and they hardly broke a sweat (nor did any of these amps; at this insane level, my Carver was just pushing about 20 watts per)! Talk about shrill; very harsh, not to mention piercing! I couldn't even imagine hitting anywhere near 50 WPC; 1000 watts peak, you deserve to rupture your eardrums! But play any AC/DC album if you don't believe me...Cornwalls rock, dude!

I'm awaiting the arrival of my new BEZ 300B SET amplifier (only 8 WPC)...my days of blasting tunes throughout the neighborhood at 120dB is over!

Hey guys i'm on your side 2.gif don't get me wrong .

I've never heard or even seen a pair of corns before, just thought a rating of 1000 watts max was a little crazy considering how efficient klipsch speakers are .

For that matter i've never owned a amp that could put out 1000 watts, even considering the headroom.

I own klipschorns , which you'll have to pry from my cold grip when i'm dead . Never has there been a amp capabile of more than 50 watts in my house.

I was just fishing for a reaction after reading about the cornwalls.

Don't be pissed at me guy's i'm just an *** looking to stir the loyalist crowd , better than posting about some ***** lickers or other political crap thats been dominating the 2 channel forum as of late .

• Klipsch Employees

Hey BB,

I have had cornwalls for about 4 years now. I have or now own LS, Khorns, RP-3 & 5, KLF-20 & 30...well the list go on for a bit...

I used the cornwalls as mains for most of that 4 years. All the pic's in the house are screwed to the wall,(so they wont fall off anymore) .

I have old speakers 1969 and 1974 both with org parts. I have ran 500wpc crown in to them with no problems. I have never had anything but good luck with them.

I have tested them to reach max output of over 123db. They do reach the 35 -38 Hz range. The Ls and Kh do a better job of taking the power due to their sealed cabinet.

Remember, what you want in a SS amp is headroom. 10db worth if you can get it.

For that I use a factor of 5. If I want 20 Watts to the speaker, use a 100 Watt amp. If I want 100 Watts, use a 500 Watt amp. With all that power you can hurt the speaker. But just like your car, you have a lot of HP that you dont use all the time, but it is nice that it is there if you do need it....

As most of you know I connected 600w dynaco monoblocks to my cornwalls as while back ...just for sh^ts and giggles.

Anything under "1" on the volume knob produced enough power to make the 1980 CW woofers crack, chuff and shudder. They were not getting anywhere close to 600w either!

Big power and klipsch heritage speakers = terrible sound and potentially damaged speakers ...not something I recommend doing.

"Remember, what you want in a SS amp is headroom. 10db worth if you can get it. For that I use a factor of 5. If I want 20 Watts to the speaker, use a 100 Watt amp. If I want 100 Watts, use a 500 Watt amp."

A good rule for tube amps as well.

The above by Trey and Dean is something I used to buy into big time over 15 years ago. I find it just one more parameter that is not necessarily one to follow for good sonics especially with speakers 98dB and above. It's quality over quantity, ESPECIALLY with Klipsch and other high efficiency speakers. Headroom... I have heard 500w-1000w amps sounds so horrid I couldnt stand it. As time unfolds the watts things gets more abuse than almost any other stat, right after THD. If volume is your friend, watts might please. But it is far harder to make a great sounding high wattage amp than a great sounding low watt example. I hope Trey is referring to a sample of Crown I havent heard as the 70s high wattage Crowns I was exposed to were anything but resolving. I found them grainy and unappealing. Still, as always, blanket statements here can come back to haunt you.

kh