She don like them LASCALAS

Scala's appearance makes one thing perfectly clear: "I'm one bad A$$ speaker". I've never had anyone say they did'nt like them...they just stand there with there mouths 6.gif hanging open. My wife loves ours. She speaks of them like part of the family.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Have you tried both speakers in a side by side comparison? I am not doubting you, but I am curious to know why you differ?"

How could you doubt me, it's my personal opinion. In a 2 channel shootout, the RF-7 would blow the Scala away in many HT and music situtations. As a matter of fact I think the RF-7 would win the majority of the time in a blind shoot-out. All modern movies would have the RF-7 wiping the floor with the Scalas. You would swear there was a sub in the room when the RF-7 was playing, it digs that deep. Want to play hip-hop, dance, trance or anything of the sort, the RF-7 again would be wiping the floor. Just like the Scala would kick butt with other types of music.

So, that is why I beg to differ. It is a give and take and the RF-7 can most certainly look the Scala in the eye IMO.

HornPenguin, et al;

My direct comparison is between the La Scala's and the RF 7's. I also have a lot of listening time with most of the Heritage line excluding the big boys Klipschorns. I have a set of RB-15's and RC-3II and have demoed the RB 75's, RB 35's, RF-35's, RS-35's and RS-7s. To me they do not have the same richness, depth and fullness of sound the Heritage line does. As for a direct comparison if you are asking have I sat an set up RF-7s... and compared them individually with the Heritage side by side my answer is no. But in the cases where I demo'ed the Reference they were the featured speaker in the set up. Dont get me wrong the Reference line is an excellent line of speakers. But with the sonic smoothness, and relative availability and affordability of the heritage Pre-owned units, my personal opinion is that the Heritage line is the Flagship of the Klipsch family. Once again I am not saying I dont like the Reference units (I own some), I just prefer the Heritage across the board. I believe your Cornwalls would stand up admirably to the Reference line.

----------------

On 3/14/2004 2:25:20 PM John Albright wrote:

Show her this. La Scalas don't have to look ugly. I believe this is a great compromise. The stain is Minwax Red Mahoghany (over conditioner) protected by sprayed on water-based polyurethane. The front edges are covered with 3/4" x 3/4" solid cherry. The grille is factory Klipsch.

fin_lascala1.jpg

----------------

John,

That is a beautiful speaker. I would give up my Bells for a pair like that.

Pulled from Audio asylum:

"I've owned several "real" Klipsches including Klipschorns, La Scalas and the Heresy. I own the RF-7's now, and the others quite a few years ago. Plus, the quality of electronics I owned when I had the "real" Klipsch were not of the quality of what I own today, so it is difficult to make real, meaningful comparisons. But, in many ways, I think the RF series more than hold their own against the classic designs. I think the RF's present a better soundstage than many of the older designs. The horn seems to be better integrated with the rest of the speaker than the old K-horn. And, while many people complain of the Klipsch's overly bright nature, the RF is much more neutral than any of the old designs, in my opinion.

I agree though, that just like every other speaker, the RF's just cant do it all. I like them because I have a very big room, like to listen to loud rock music on occasion, and wanted a speaker that could really project sound. And although I think they are fairly musical at low volumes, they do lose a little bit of dynamics, in my opinion. They are just not a delicate little speaker. I sometimes wish I had a seperate pair of speakers when I listen to classical or at low volumes. I wrote a week ago how I heard the Vienna Beethovens and I was really impressed with them, but they sound like a "delicate" speaker. I don't think the Viennas, or the VS, or the Maggies could do what the RF's do at high volumes. I have always thought the same of Von Schweikert (I have not heard the "4').

It's just what you want your speaker to do, I think. "

Ahh...So that's it! Around my house, I was thinking it was "WHAT??? Another f*#@$ing ______?!?" (fill in the blank with "pair of speakers", "record album", "receiver", "console", whatever)

----------------

On 3/15/2004 1:41:07 PM mdeneen wrote:

Sooooo, Mr. Fini - - - you lovin' those k'horns or what?

mdeneen

----------------

Oh, yes. I haven't freed up the corners yet (long story involving a chain of tasks which must occur, in order, before the Klipschorns reach their final resting place), but even set up roughly in the same position as the Cornwalls, they sound spectacular. Maybe you should let me know when you're heading down this-a-way, and you can bring the BlueBerry and an amp for a look see (hear)?

These threads depress me. I've even gotten to the point where I dread posting in them -- since no matter what I say, it's going to be immediately contradicted. I guess it doesn't matter that I'm probably the only forum member that has had RB-5's (with solid state), RC-7's (in stereo pair, with tube preamp and SS amp), RF-7's (with sub, without sub, with 4 different tube preamps, and a half dozen different amplifers of both solid state and tube design), Vintage Cornwalls (with Scott 299A, and 299B), and now Klipschorns in my system. So, with that in mind -- do with the following whatever you want.

What you get with the RF-7 is a clarity and transparency second to none -- not even the Klipschorn can match it on the top end. A smooth, crystalline treble with hair trigger dynamics sets the RF-7 apart from anything I have ever heard in this area.

I have often posted the link to the Infinity White Paper on their C.M.M.D. technology, which is the same as the Cerametallic technology that Klipsch uses: http://www.infinityspeakers.com/homeaudio/technology/whitepapers/cmmd.pdf

Yes, a midrange reproduced by cones sounds different than a midrange reproduced by horns, but the bottom line here is that they sound great. Yes, there is less lower midrange energy with the cones, and there may be a little more distortion -- but those cones kick some serious *** -- and things stay extremely clean until one reaches the most insane volume levels. While watching the cones do their work at some of these volumes levels, one will notice very little cone movement. To me, the midrange sounds "right". It's crisp, snappy, fast, and integrates with treble almost seamlessly -- in fact, the snare drum coming through a pair of RF-7s sounds closer to real thing than what I heard coming out of the Cornwalls, and now hearing through my new Klipschorns. Sorry, but that's what I hear.

Into the midbass (especially the midbass), and lower bass -- the horn loading leaves the RF-7's behind. The bigger Heritage with their huge front baffles also propogate soundfields that load the room up faster and better. My Klipschorns have a slam factor of about 8 or 9, and I think I would put the RF-7's at 5 or 6. Of course, consider that I would put most other speakers in this area at 1 or 2. :) RF-7's need the corners, and good amplification. If no corners are available, then plan on using a RSW-15 with them.

The RF-7 may not be able to hang with the Klipschorn, but it easily bypasses the Cornwall in almost every area. Now, I have never heard the LaScala properly setup with good gear, but I suspect a pair of RF-7's -- pushed back into some corners with 60 watts of decent push-pull -- would not be embarassed by them.

Bob Gassel and myself have gone back and forth several times with these comparisons. He says it's apples and oranges -- I say it's Red Delicious and Golden Delicious.

If I had to go back to RF-7s, I would not be worried.