Strange Speakers on Ebay

Mike Frankel

----------------

On 3/19/2004 12:06:01 PM Mike Frankel wrote:

Sure Look like Klipsch!

----------------

Remember, pictures can be decieving! I see a lot of counterfeit North Face jackets on eBay and despite the fact they may look nice in the pictures and have Gore-tex tags, they are not waterproof.

----------------

On 3/19/2004 1:30:06 PM texas42 wrote:

These are yet another example of 'white van' speakers, in my opinion. It's like buying a Rolex 'knock off'. Buyer beware, you get what you pay for...

----------------

I've found a few places where they will sell rolex knock offs and other brand knock offs with the exact same internals as the "original" brand--it is essentially the same piece its just not made with the 10,000% mark-up is all...

by the way--the knock offs aren't all that cheap, but are inexpensive relative to the original-for example a knock off that is considered an A+ translation of a $9000 dollar rolex will be around $1200.00 --- a far cry from the 25.00 one that I saw in vegas!!

I think this could be the case for many many knock off products out there--the Chinese are absolutely incredible at reverse engineering, and can often duplicate something exactly at a much much lower price.

As far as the clothing rip offs go--you pay for who makes it, who engineered the design, who marketed it to you local store. Don't kid yourself--the parts are the cheapest thing of them all. Do you really think an ARMANI suit costs ARMANI 700.00 to make and they then sell it to you for 1600.00?

It wouldn't surprise me if the North Face knock off jackets were junk, and it wouldn't surprise me if they "performed" as well as the original brand.

I wonder the same thing about speakers--Like how much could an exact quality knock off cost as opposed to the "real thing"

Wilson Audio--are they really WORTH $100,000.00

Lexicon MC 12--is it worth 12,000.00 ???

I'm not saying its "right", nor am I endorseing counterfit anything-- I'm just saying it exists, and to a quality level that rivals the "real" thing....

----------------

On 3/19/2004 5:36:29 PM RFinco wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if the North Face knock off jackets were junk, and it wouldn't surprise me if they "performed" as well as the original brand.

----------------

They don't perform like real North Face gear precisely because they are not made with the same materials. The jackets have tags that say Gore-tex, but some people who have been duped have reported testing the jackets out and confirmed they don't perform anything like the real things. They also said the stitch work was very poor. I suspect the Klipsch look-alikes to be the same. These chinese factories that make these fakes cut every corner they can (and probably don't understand any of the engineering behind the products) because they could care less how the product performs. The only want to make it look like the originals so as to dupe buyers.

Wow. Didn't know that 'Klipsh' (sic) outsourced their speaker production to this company. We all know how good THEY are, don't we? 2.gif2.gif And the photos - turned sideways or are they 'center channel' speakers? laff! That 'spelling error' may have been intentional on the seller's part - people think they're like KLIPSCH but with the name mispelled, it probably isn't misrepresentation from a legal standpoint.

Oh, and check this out. Some info about 'Pro Dynamics' speakers. They ARE 'white van' speakers!!!

http://www.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/3327.html

You know what's really sad? People have actually bid these @$%&-ers up to over $300, and there's zero details on the size of the speakers, the drivers, etc. Of course, that's probably the influence of Bose on the audio market - the buyer has been trained to expect less for more, and be happy about it! 1.gif

Yep, good catch Cleve....I just had a feeling this was another 'white van' scam. I learned my lesson for far less when I was 19 and bought a 'sieko' watch for $40 that fell apart a week later. Wish I could have remembered then the real ones were "seiko"7.gif Live and learn...

All the Klisch promedias are outsourced to china. That's why they have such problems with them.

What makes you think that the klipsch home speakers are all built in the USA at a Klipsch plant?

I'd love to see the backs of those drivers and compare them to the klipsch brand speaker.

You have to watch out for those counterfeit watches, Tex. I periodically get spam e-mails touting 'Italian-Crafted' Rolexes - trouble is, Rolex is Swiss! 1.gif

It used to be only the major watch brands, Rolex, Omega, Seiko, TAG-Heuer, et al, suffered from counterfeits, but now even the less-known high-quality Swiss brands like Fortis, and Oris (my own personal watch) are being 'homaged' by cheap copies. Most of the time, the watch companies will pursue these 'pirates' for trademark infringement.

----------------

On 3/19/2004 6:57:05 PM Cleve wrote:

You have to watch out for those counterfeit watches, Tex. I periodically get spam e-mails touting 'Italian-Crafted' Rolexes - trouble is, Rolex is Swiss!
1.gif

It used to be only the major watch brands, Rolex, Omega, Seiko, TAG-Heuer, et al, suffered from counterfeits, but now even the less-known high-quality Swiss brands like Fortis, and Oris (my own personal watch) are being 'homaged' by cheap copies. Most of the time, the watch companies will pursue these 'pirates' for trademark infringement.

----------------

yeah, I know its kinda wacky...but--a patek phillipe for under a thousand dollars--sure its not the same thing but if its a mechanical movement...the machinery alone is worth it...besides--who has 90,000 dollars to spend on a watch?--who is to say that a watch is worth 90,000.00 in the first place?

By the way: AWSOME CHOICE ON TIMEPIECES!! oris are soo nice-simple elegant incredible overall (I'm a watch guy, and this is one of my favorite brands) my next watch that I want --ORIS TT1

heres another design that also has caught my eye www.teno.com

as far as materials of north face jackets go--I could contact W.L. Gore and associates and get a bolt of gore tex and all the materials to make a 1000 knock off jackets that perform just as good and sell them for 1/3 the price of a "actual" one. I again say, you are paying for their knowledge of how to build something like they did-their inginuity and engineering, not the product itself. Copying a successful product is easy, developing it is not.

I'm surprised that these "white van" speaker people haven't figured this basic premise out--go buy some GOOD speakers--and copy them to the letter.

I particularly like the phono jacks (!!) above the binding posts. Just like Klipsh! 2.gif

As for the theory that a thousand-dollar Patek Philippe knockoff is worth it just for the mechanism... Keep in mind that an ETA sweep-hand mechanical movement can probably be had for under two hundred dollars. One that is a certified chronometer will cost much more, but nowhere near a grand. Keep in mind that the retail on, say, an Omega Speedmaster quartz and a Seamaster Chronometer is around five hundred bucks, and everything aside from the movement is the same... And I don't believe for a second that the movement costs that much more.

Didn't stop ME from spending that much more, however!

RFinco,

I agree one could make a North Face jacket just as good for 1/3 of the price, but I want to point out the chinese aren't doing that (at least not yet). Their jackets really aren't any better than what you can buy at wal-mart.

----------------

On 3/20/2004 12:39:03 AM STL wrote:

RFinco,

I agree one could make a North Face jacket just as good for 1/3 of the price, but I want to point out the chinese aren't doing that (at least not yet). Their jackets really aren't any better than what you can buy at wal-mart.

----------------

yeah--I agree they're not better, they're pretty crappy.

---the thing is that these people that create this stuff are also running a buisness, legitimate or not--One would think that the would try to build better merchandise. Those white van speaker guys should actually build better speakers--the word would spread and bam--their traffic increases considerably-I mean the ENGINEERING is already done, as is the marketing, and the advertising...you would think they would do better than they do...granted they loose on each sale, but they make it up in increased volume...

god--I should do some marketing work for the criminals--they just don't use their heads and think long term--they got everything already in place-all they do is ride the tails of a legitimate company--its painless...they already don't care about the law--the rest is easy...